• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 - schools, NSWJRU / SJRU / CRJU 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

capybara

Bob McCowan (2)
Who's looking forward to the state champs this weekend, apparently the grand final and the semi's are being played on the same day, meaning the grand final will only be 25min halves rather than previous years when it has been 30min halves. What are your thoughts?
Whos looking in shape to win u16 & u17's this year?

benson13

Bob McCowan (2)
Any snouts at the CAS North / South Game today? any feedback?

Solid game of footy in North vs South. South looked stronger but North put up a good fight.

South Harbour 9, 10, 13 and 15 play 1sts already. 9 & 10 both played Harold Matts this season at #6 for North Sydney Bears and South Sydney bunnies, should be a good combination with their CAS selection.

South harbour coach shuffled around 9, 10 and 15 to look for a combination. All 3 boys did a stella job.

Breakaway for North harbour put in a solid effort.

J

Josh Phillips

Interesting State champs tourtanment over the weekend. Gordon and norths both seemed like dominate sides and hard to beat across all ages. But Manly were the the surprise of the Carnival winning both the 16's and 17's

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Convincingly by 3 points!!!!!Looking at the teams in the 17 s Illawarra played four games, winning all, including the Grandfinal, Central Coast played 5 winning all except the Grandfinal, loss by 3.
Very close game yet only 4 players from Central Coast made country selections. Looking at the games, the scores and the results, thought both teams were pretty equally balanced!
Rugby Mum you know the rules. "to the victors go the spoils". Somehow when they sit down at the selection table it ends up this way even when there is only 3 points in it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby Mum you know the rules. "to the victors go the spoils". Somehow when they sit down at the selection table it ends up this way even when there is only 3 points in it.
Tell the boys from Manly U17 that. They were convincing winners of the U17 State title and only get 10 lads invited to trial for a slot in the City team. Eastwood who performed well below expectations get 11 boys selected. Penrith finish more or less equal with Eastwood only manage 4 boys in the trial.

The spoils go to the victor after all the other deals are done. :)

I can't wait for the U16 trial teams to be published. I feel a good rant coming on.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Shall be interesting when they select the NSW side after City Country. Only 2 of the Central Coast players representing country. Will play in that game. Now imagine if there were fair selections all around... Would that entitle Central Coast kids that don't play in the city country game to be considered for that team???? They do play for a union under the rather huge umbrella of NSW Rugby Union, played the Grandfinal for State Champs, making them runners up! I think it was the first final where a country side made it through the pools. Now imagine the kaos that would have been had they won the Grandfinal at State on the weekend...just putting it out there

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Already had a Country team win a State Title this year. Illawarra won the Under 13's.

They gotta be doing something right down in the 'gong.

Illawarra U17's at State Champs were apparently a shadow of the team that contested Country Champs. Funny thing that they forfeited their last game to West Harbour.
Obviously keen to get home to watch the Tahs deal to the Force.

This is the U16 thread, and we should take further discussion about other age groups across to the NSW State Cup thread, or even put up a 2013 City vs Country (or NSW JRU Representative Rugby 2013 ) thread.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
^^ Already had a Country team win a State Title this year. Illawarra won the Under 13's.

They gotta be doing something right down in the 'gong.

Illawarra U17's at State Champs were apparently a shadow of the team that contested Country Champs. Funny thing that they forfeited their last game to West Harbour.
Obviously keen to get home to watch the Tahs deal to the Force.

This is the U16 thread, and we should take further discussion about other age groups across to the NSW State Cup thread, or even put up a 2013 City vs Country (or NSW JRU Representative Rugby 2013 ) thread.

Probably not the right forum but the story seems to fit here.

In 2008 Ron Davis (a shamrocks dad/coach) took the Illawarra U13 to NZ on tour, that year they won the Country champs and the state champs. The following year we again took the U13s (I went as "No!! we haven't got the money" treasurer). Again won the country champs but crashed and burnt at the states. Illawarra has sent an U13s team every year since, the league clubs hate, it and get on the phone to try to talk the boys out.

The 2008 U13s were then decimated by the Great Public Schools and never recovered, names like Rory Davis and Corey Tullock et al show up as Great Public School rep prospects. The same didn't happen to the 2009s but the full back James Kane went to Kings, as his dad was a Kings Old boy and was keen for James to go, he's another Great Public Schools rep prospect. The now U17s won the country champs this year and AGAIN crashed and burnt at the states.

This years U13 team again went to NZ and Fiji with Ron Davis as coach and again pulled off the double. It will be interesting to see how the Great Public Schools react.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
thoughts on the MNZ team released last night?
I saw a lot of ranting on the u/15 thread last year regarding MSZ or MWZ lack of Sydney representation after nearly beating the MNZ team. I heard criticism of the MNZ coach for swapping out "front line players" for others and nearly loosing the matches as there was a significant difference in the performance of the team when certain players were on.

These are selection trials in the guise of competition.Getting caught up in who wins verges on irrelevant

In the State cup scores indicate Gordon and Warringah were 2-3 tries better than the next teams. This year Most of the Gordon and Warringah players get a guernsey in the MNZ or Barbarians Teams. I would bet some of the Bar Bars think they have a team very equal to the MNZ.

Having said that I also bet a few of the front line forwards for a Sydney spot are hoping they are overlooked and get a NSW Jersey 'Cause they know which backline they would want to feed

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
I agree that the MNZ and Barbarians teams are close but think the MNZ team is stronger.

Also agree with 16 Schools having a slicker backline if Hutchison, McGregor, Porter, Kennewell, Sepesa trial plus a few others who don't play club. Will these boys however trial for GPS Opens instead or trial for both?

Any thoughts on the 16s teams from anyone with a clue?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
./...snip.../.
It will be interesting to see how the Great Public Schools react.

The perception that it is all about AAGPS is popular but inaccurate.
There was a fair amount of discussion a while back on the selection bias thread. Check it out if you are interested.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...squads-unfairness-etc.8261/page-7#post-382713

CTPE did some counting for us based on 2012 Open Schoolboys tournament.
We could look at the starters, or just the forwards or just the bench or perhaps only halfbacks or any category you want.but I'll leave you with this - Both NSW and QLD each had 46 players in their two squads - 92 players from 32 different schools.
George Smith proved that the “best” 69 under 16 kids in NSW last year came from 39 different schools.
The top 100 NZ Schoolboys under 17 in 2012 came from 51 different schools.
The top 138 players in Aust Opens championships Div 1 teams in 2012 came from 83 different schools.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I agree that the MNZ and Barbarians teams are close but think the MNZ team is stronger.

Also agree with 16 Schools having a slicker backline if Hutchison, McGregor, Porter, Kennewell, Sepesa trial plus a few others who don't play club. Will these boys however trial for GPS Opens instead or trial for both?

Any thoughts on the 16s teams from anyone with a clue?
Last years u/16 showed some don't even have to turn up to the trials for NSW selection. Other players played opens for their association and were selected for NSW u/16
This may be the same for those mentioned above or the Hunter u/16 LHP playing in the CHS opens team

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
History will repeat itself, and the shenanigans are well documented in the 2012 U16 thread and 2011 U16 thread.

The fun and games played by Schools and Juniors have been played out over and over again for many years. The only thing that changes from time to time are the people involved in the farce sometimes move up to NSW Junior RU, and of course a new cohort of players each year which becomes the plaything in a rather pointless game of "I'm more important than you" between NSW Schools and Sydney Juniors.

Have an independent panel select two teams of the best Under 16 club and school kids in NSW.

Call them NSW I (or Blue) and NSW II (or White).

It is not too hard, yet some make it like cracking the Enigma Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.