• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 - schools, NSWJRU / SJRU / CRJU 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Presidents 1st XV hit the ground running and scored a try in the 1st 5 minutes and failed to convert, Once the ISA forwards took control the Presidents star back line became irrelevant. ISA scored before the break wide on the end of one of the few good back line movements of the game, without converting.
ISA remained camped I. The Presidents 1/3 for well over 15 minutes of the 2nd half without taking points
Presidents win 5-5 and ISA continue to play for 5th place???

I don't think any of the lads on the field will feel that way

The ISA v GPS and the CHS v GPS2 games were interesting. I must say I was expecting more from the GPS sides based on reading posts on this forum. Possibly the ability and skill levels are talked up a bit. Overall I was quite underwhelmed.

Looking forward to seeing the CHS V ISA game tomorrow.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The ISA v GPS and the CHS v GPS2 games were interesting. I must say I was expecting more from the GPS sides based on reading posts on this forum. Possibly the ability and skill levels are talked up a bit. Overall I was quite underwhelmed.

Looking forward to seeing the CHS V ISA game tomorrow.

Perhaps you need to consider the route by which they came to the tournament and when they were selected.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
From the nsw schools website....a couple of minutes ago...
SUNDAY 23/6/13: The FINALS OF THE NSWSRU U16 CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE GOING AHEAD AS SCHEDULED TODAY AT KNOX GRAMMAR NO.1 OVAL.
PLAY ON BOYS!

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Perhaps you need to consider the route by which they came to the tournament and when they were selected.
Agree with IS on that. Trialled the weekend before, and played game 1 in the wet against a very formidable pack, that has a number of the successful Waringah pack playing together. Some of the GPS forwards looked to be more interested in setting up for a run rather than doing the bread and butter stuff. After the GPS 1's second try was strangely disallowed, the GPS backs hardly touched the ball after that. Until the last minute when they almost scored from about 60 m out. That ISA pack rightky should get plenty through to the nationals in either pathway. Today's final will be interesting to see how both GPS packs play against each other.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any news on today's games? I couldn't make it and was especially wondering how the CCC boys are going/went. Hopefully the weather didn't dampen the potential for some open-field rugby. Any news, results, info etc. would be appreciated.

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any news on today's games? I couldn't make it and was especially wondering how the CCC boys are going/went. Hopefully the weather didn't dampen the potential for some open-field rugby. Any news, results, info etc. would be appreciated.
The ccc side won in a supisingly close game (21-15 or thereabouts). Not the best football from both sides.

The chs v isa game was closer than the scoreboard suggested (isa 25 - chs 7) The chs side dominated early on and took a 7-0 lead before I worked their way back to 7-7. The CHS introduced 9 or 10 substitutions which effectively ended the contest.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

President A beat B 22-21.
Orpen (21 in Pres B) missed a penalty on the bell.
The B 10 - Maddocks - was the pick, IMHO, kicks with both feet and, given the atrocious conditions controlled the game beautifully.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Any news on the CAS 16's and when NSW team will be picked?

The CAS v AICES match has received as much attention as it probably deserved I left at oranges with CAS up 14/0 but AICES had given themselves a couple of chances. If it was a repeat of yesterday's AICES match v GPS the second half may have seen the scoring speed up, but really quite a low impact match.

All up it would appear that ISA are the undefeated champions based on for and against

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ISA were 5th in the tournament of 8 participants. That is below average.

That team should have no more than 1 or two players selected for higher representation.

4th placed AICES should have more players selected for NSW Schools than the 5th placed team.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
After the GPS 1's second try was strangely disallowed, the GPS backs hardly touched the ball after that.
One of the hand full of rules that differentiates Rugby from American football is the attacking team cannot remove defending players from the path of the ball carrier. This was indicated by the referee when he awarded the penalty.
It was noted one of the P1 backs has a habit of supporting the ball carrier from about a meter in front of the ball carrier, it resulted in a number of forward passes being caught in Qld last year, and he got away with this when scoring his first try against AICES on Saturday. I think you will find it was the same player that ran into the defensive line.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)

That team should have no more than 1 or two players selected for higher representation.

4th placed AICES should have more players selected for NSW Schools than the 5th placed team.
Hugh, Absolutely agree with you. The selectors should be forced to select from only the best teams, P1,P2 CAS and AICES. What a great team it would be. I think we should warn Qland that we have a super team, that will wipe out all before them.
Considering the weekend is really about selections I would have found it very difficult to pick a team with some of the one sided games.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hugh, Absolutely agree with you. The selectors should be forced to select from only the best teams, P1,P2 CAS and AICES. What a great team it would be. I think we should warn Qland that we have a super team, that will wipe out all before them.
Considering the weekend is really about selections I would have found it very difficult to pick a team with some of the one sided games.

and the conditions

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, Thought it was pretty good on Saturday ,but Sunday was miserable unless you were trained up in England. The problem was all the forwards in all the teams in this age group find it hard to tighten up and set a great platform
Given that games get cancelled if the sprinklers left on its no wonder they dont adapt too well: they hardly ever play in the wet.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)

Hugh Jarse you really need to work on your sarcasm emoticon!

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Not sure how that should work with ISA having a 5 all draw with Presidents 1, and AICES getting belted by Presidents 1 by 60 odd to nil...I thought Elia for Isa was outstanding...best rugby from him for a while...also their front rowers were pretty strong also all weekend. If schools don't go for a few of their pack, I'm pretty sure sjru would be pleased with that..

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)

Yes, I like your logic. You are indeed quite correct. It would have been very interesting if the ISA chap kicked the conversion in the first game - The scheemers convenors would have come unstuck.

I suppose we are now in a position that if 90% of the squad is picked from GPS 1 or GPS 2 the whole selection process has been validated.

There were some good players in the ISA, CHS and CAS squads and one or two from the CCC team that maybe should be considered, that will not get a look in, and were probably never destined to get a look in.

The whole process was quite interesting from my perspective. My thoughts on the weekend:
  • the overall quality of football was good but not exceptional. The GPS teams didn't live up to the hype. I was expecting them to blow the other teams off the park. They played some reasonable football and will rightly gain the majority of the selections;
  • some gusty performances from all the teams. The Country team battled to the end;
  • the CAS team were dissapointing. Had some reasonable forwards. Was expecting more.
  • the ISA team looked like the best drilled team and performed in every game. It was a shame they didn't go further;
  • the CHS team had some gifted players but lacked structure and cohesion at critical moments. Making 10 subsititutions per game did not help the cause. The CHS team had the most raw talent on display - the problem being that it was too raw;
  • the CCC team never got going, all though there were flashes from one or two players. Again, they suffered from lack of structure and know how.
  • had plenty of bacon and egg rolls, coffee and a big unbrella. Overall, an enoyable weekend.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes, I like your logic. You are indeed quite correct. It would have been very interesting if the ISA chap kicked the conversion in the first game - The scheemers convenors would have come unstuck.

I suppose we are now in a position that if 90% of the squad is picked from GPS 1 or GPS 2 the whole selection process has been validated.

There were some good players in the ISA, CHS and CAS squads and one or two from the CCC team that maybe should be considered, that will not get a look in, and were probably never destined to get a look in.

The whole process was quite interesting from my perspective. My thoughts on the weekend:
  • the overall quality of football was good but not exceptional. The GPS teams didn't live up to the hype. I was expecting them to blow the other teams off the park. They played some reasonable football and will rightly gain the majority of the selections;
  • some gusty performances from all the teams. The Country team battled to the end;
  • the CAS team were dissapointing. Had some reasonable forwards. Was expecting more.
  • the ISA team looked like the best drilled team and performed in every game. It was a shame they didn't go further;
  • the CHS team had some gifted players but lacked structure and cohesion at critical moments. Making 10 subsititutions per game did not help the cause. The CHS team had the most raw talent on display - the problem being that it was too raw;
  • the CCC team never got going, all though there were flashes from one or two players. Again, they suffered from lack of structure and know how.
  • had plenty of bacon and egg rolls, coffee and a big unbrella. Overall, an enoyable weekend.
On a more serious note. Totally agree with all your points. Also would expect 1-3 CHS boys in the squad. The front row of ISA that destroyed GPS 1 front row their big lock andloosey one of their backs. CAS didnt have anyone that caught my eye in a very lackluster carnival but Im sure there are some who are deserving. CCC as usual will miss out. Aices not big enough and country ransacked by all and sundry were just not up to it

Status
Not open for further replies.