• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Waratahs v Qld Reds round 4 2009 official TYS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I made the trip down and obviously came away disappointed, as much for the missed opportunities as the final result.

A number of what if's for Reds supporters, Fetoai's failure to find support players and McLinden's decision not to give it on to Hynes.

Mooney has a whole lot of work to do on the set piece. Tah's absolutely dominated in the 2nd half and that was where the game was won.

Well done to the Tahs who just know how to win. And as I've said for a while 2010 will be the year of the Red, what we are seeing is glimpses of what is to come.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
cyclopath said:
I'm not sure who coaches the Tah backs? It is entirely possible no-one does, the way they're going.

OK, this is now a serious question: who coaches the Tah backs? We can rule out Todd Louden.

Maybe they have an "attack" coach?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
cyclopath said:
I'm not sure who coaches the Tah backs? It is entirely possible no-one does, the way they're going.

OK, this is now a serious question: who coaches the Tah backs? We can rule out Todd Louden.

We don't have one, we have Wisemantal as "skills" coach. (and as with the Aus side he hasn't found any or created any) Hickey and Foley

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cyclopath said:
I'm with Ash - Hangers to 10, Horne to 12 and try Tahu at 13. Horne really looks the goods but is getting nothing from having Beale and Carter inside.

What's with the Tahu obsession ? He came on in the 44th minute for Carter and within 10 minutes he'd gotten himself isolated once, and offloaded the ball to Queensland twice. Yeah, he's the answer ! ::)

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
Scarfman said:
cyclopath said:

We don't have one, we have Wisemantal as "skills" coach. (and as with the Aus side he hasn't found any or created any) Hickey and Foley

I wouldn't wish the job on my worst enemy. You can't polish a turd. At the 58th minute, there'd been 20 turnovers & 15 handling errors by the Tahs. Its a good thing our set piece is quality.

The classic is minute 60. We pilfer ball at the ruck on the Queensland 40. Beale runs across field for 15 metres, hands off to Tuqiri who runs across the field back in the other direction for 20 metres ! At which point Norton-Knight tries to settle the play and kicks the ball dead. A horror show.

What is wrong with running straight & hitting the line at pace ? If the Tahs tactics are kick & pray, shouldn't we have signed Brock James when we had the chance ?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
naza said:
What's with the Tahu obsession ? He came on in the 44th minute for Carter and within 10 minutes he'd gotten himself isolated once, and offloaded the ball to Queensland twice. Yeah, he's the answer ! ::)

Well, he's more of an answer than Carter at any rate. The only thing Carter did all night is tackle and drop ball. Carter is the epitome of Bulls centre field play over the Super years, strong tackler, can chase a ball, can't do anything else. :thumb

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ash said:
naza said:

Well, he's more of an answer than Carter at any rate. The only thing Carter did all night is tackle and drop ball. Carter is the epitome of Bulls centre field play over the Super years, strong tackler, can chase a ball, can't do anything else. :thumb

I'd have Tahu on the wing for CostaLote who is absolutely stinking up the joint.

Carter dropped what, one shitty pass from Beale ? Unlike Tahu, Carter's a great defender - and that's half the game right there. He runs straight and hard, takes care of the ball, offloads better than anyone other than Palu and does a lot of the little 2 percenters. The thrashwank brigade don't like him because he's not flashy. Queensland constantly spun it wide but it didn't pay off because they neglected the bread and butter of getting over the advantage line.

What's annoying at the moment is how much we're piss farting about. Having lineout ball go through Phil Waugh's hands before it gets to Beale, which gives him zero time to setup play. For mine, as clumsy as the Reds were, they created more try scoring opportunities than we did. They just couldn't finish them off. Other than Palu, we have fark all in attack at present. Good to see Lachlan Turner wake up though.

Oh yeah, I like that Higginbotham for Queensland. He's a proper 6. He's got some beef on his frame, knows his limitations and is happy to graft and do the hard work.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What's annoying at the moment is how much we're piss farting about

Agreed

It always baffles me that the Tahs can't convert a solid scrum into a strong platform. Even on Friday we had total domination but didn't bother to have a 1/4 turn to give the backs space on our ball. Instead we just had scrummaging practice until Holmes collapsed again

We have Palu who can after a 1/4 turn can run straight at the 10 with a solid head start from the defensive backrowers. Instead we are having Palu flick it to Burgess 5m behind the scrum.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
AGREED

Let's turn T5 advantage into try-scoring advantage. Bring back Joey Johns, Beale is stinking the place up!

P

PhucNgo

I wouldn't mind seeing SNK get a crack at 10 in attack, moving back to 15 in defence (as much as you can distinguish these under the ELV's, apart from set piece). This would take advantage of his wide passing game and at the same time retain his longer boot - which seems to be an absolute must-have these days to even maintain parity in territory.

Hangers/Beale at fullback may be an option, but I tend to think that Beale particularly wouln't be seen under a high ball. (Seriously, the Tahs would have been better off getting Burkey back on a 1 year player contract to fill in at fullback - if he's carrying an injury he's sure not showing it - and for the doubters, Percy's 35 this week.)

I think the trick going into the back end of the tournament will be constant variation in attack, to really test defensive structures. All teams have got a D plan, but some are better than others. Hitting it up the same way the whole time just plays to the advantage of the mediocre.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
PhucNgo said:
I wouldn't mind seeing SNK get a crack at 10 in attack, moving back to 15 in defence (as much as you can distinguish these under the ELV's, apart from set piece).

Good idea, hide Kurtley Beale in attack and move him to the frontline in defence.

P

PhucNgo

Agreed, there is a certain frailty to the suggestion. But it would be no worse than the status quo, but allowing you to mix up the play from 10. Like I said, in general play these days, particularly with a high turnover rate, there's not a clear distinction between attack and defence. I'm not particularly advocating Beale (have you ever heaerd me advocating Beale), maybe its Turner to fullback, after all SNK's GONE at the end of the season anyway.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The Tahs and Wallabies see Beale as a long-term project, so won't drop him easily.

Apart from the Horne at 12 plan, you could go:

10. Beale
12. SNK
13. Horne
11. Tuqiri
14. Tahu
15. Turner

Although lumping Lachie with those two dopes is a bit cruel.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
While part of our problem is not getting the ball to our most talented attacker (Horne) I like the thought of leaving Horne at 13 - he's got the pace and tenacity to cover the outside channel as well as come back in to help with the two channel. He can also get away from his opponents and has the anticipation and balance to trouble wingers. Putting him at 12 would wear him out and allow other teams to get a better look at him.

We'll thank the coaching staff for leaving him there when the competition gets into the hot rounds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Did anyone else have an issue with Robinson having his elbows and knees on the ground before the line for the first try? Isn't this illegal?

Neither team deserved to win that game. It was disgusting.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think you're allowed to reach out for the try Scotty - but as per most things in the Law book, the term "reach" is not [edit]disputed defined. I generally take it that if you're on the ground and "immediately" (yet another undefined term) reach with your arms you are safe. If you use another part of your body to propel yourself along the ground WITHOUT regaining your feet then I think that should be called holding on.

R

Rugby Rat

Every now and then you have to win the "tough" ones. Playing for the forward dominated structure of Qld Brothers we had quite a few of these. Messy but hard. One mistake costs you the game. Good chance for everyone accross the park to get the mongrel on.

edit...One of the many mistakes will cost you the game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scotty, yes, technically it was illegal as he didn't immediately attempt to present the ball. But it's one of those things that I think very few refs will penalise - it was stoppable by Qld and should've been stopped.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You either score the try or the defenders get a free kick for not realising (as with Hynes)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
You either score the try or the defenders get a free kick for not realising (as with Hynes)

agreed, it was completely bias by the ref. Good point fp!

Status
Not open for further replies.