• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Nucifora - Next Wobs Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiggles

Seen a number of hints on this forum and others that Nucifora might be firming as a replacement coach to Deans if he is to be shown the door. Hypothetically lets assume that Deans is 100% gone.

So firstly, where has this rumours come from?

Putting aside my dislike for this guy (professional) and omitting the fact that 99% of things he has touched have turned to shit, what would his appointment be based upon?

Would the Board allow the outgoing CEO to appoint a new coach after his last stunt of signing Robbie pre-RWC has backfired so amazingly?

How could the Board justify Nucifora as coach when he has been so involved in the Deans Era?

Finally, Regardless of what side of the fence you sit on regarding certain players, its pretty evident that strong leadership and man management are required from the next coach to fix the Wallabies culture and 'control', for lack of a better word, certain players. Since when has Nucifora shown an ability for sound man management?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He's the obvious interim coach, whether we like him or not.

As a long term coach, I don't imagine the ARU would from a PR perspective be willing to make such a publically unpopular decision when they aren't in the public's good graces anyway.

J

Jiggles

He's the obvious interim coach, whether we like him or not.

As a long term coach, I don't imagine the ARU would from a PR perspective be willing to make such a publically unpopular decision when they aren't in the public's good graces anyway.

Highly possible that we could end up with a stuart lancaster type situation - Interim coach just given the reigns.

Mind you Lancaster was a fresh face and wasn't involved with MJ as far as I am aware.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
Problem is - can we really have an 'interim' coach now? Given a Lions series is on the horizon and this european tour is the [hopefuuly] new coaches only chance to start working with the boys and also to get a look at the players that will make up a big part of that team.

I know there's rumours about Nucifora - but how good are the rumours that Mackenzie has no shot as long as big Jon is at the helm?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Highly possible that we could end up with a stuart lancaster type situation - Interim coach just given the reigns.

Mind you Lancaster was a fresh face and wasn't involved with MJ as far as I am aware.

Lancaster did a good job though. If Nucifora comes in and genuinely did a good job we wouldn't have much cause to complain would we?

If he takes over an interim coach and does a bad job then he would stay interim.

That being said I can't see Deans getting the flick.

J

Jiggles

Problem is - can we really have an 'interim' coach now? Given a Lions series is on the horizon and this european tour is the [hopefuuly] new coaches only chance to start working with the boys and also to get a look at the players that will make up a big part of that team.

I agree we can't afford to have an interim coach. If Deans is to be flicked, which I think he should be, then the new coach has to take the reigns for the Spring Tour.

Lancaster did a good job though. If Nucifora comes in and genuinely did a good job we wouldn't have much cause to complain would we?

Fair enough, but on what grounds would he even be appointed? Like I said everything he has touched has turned to shit, and he has risen far above his capabilities in my opinion.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
There is a reds v ARU power grab going on. Jim wants the CEO badge, others don't want him to have it. As a result they will vote against anyone aligned with the Reds getting power.

I still think link was a chance til quadegate, now that chance seems unlikely unless they rip Quades contract up.

Either way, link will be coach, Jim not CEO or Jim will be CEO & link won't be coach.

If deans goes early, then nuci will step in until an appointment, if that appointment doesn't happen before the EOYT, then they will argue that a new coach won't have enough time and Nuci will take us to the lions tour.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
We shouldn't have an interim coach. Robbie has been on his last chance since the RWC. The ARU should already have a succession plan irrespective of whether they thought they'd need it or not. I presume they do.

If Nucifora is that plan even in an interim capacity I will boycott Wallaby games.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Fair enough, but on what grounds would he even be appointed? Like I said everything he has touched has turned to shit, and he has risen far above his capabilities in my opinion.

I agree he doesn't have great runs on the board but on the plus side from an ARU point of view
-already under contract
-knows coaching set up
-would probably be happy to keep assistant coaches
-already politically known.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
There is a reds v ARU power grab going on. Jim wants the CEO badge, others don't want him to have it. As a result they will vote against anyone aligned with the Reds getting power.

I still think link was a chance til quadegate, now that chance seems unlikely unless they rip Quades contract up.

Either way, link will be coach, Jim not CEO or Jim will be CEO & link won't be coach.

If deans goes early, then nuci will step in until an appointment, if that appointment doesn't happen before the EOYT, then they will argue that a new coach won't have enough time and Nuci will take us to the lions tour.
Yeah - fuck getting the best guy for the job. Lets just shit the bed so no-one else can get in.

J

Jiggles

Whats the problem with Jim? I think what he has done with Rugby in Queensland is pretty amazing. Definitely pushed the best membership drive out side of the AFL in the country which is still growing. He has gotten the Players out to junior clubs and more involved (Rookies 2 Reds) which has fostered growth. He has increased the profile of the Hospitals cup and given it a bigger profile in QLD.

EDIT: He has also produced a larger membership base for the Reds than the Broncos, and has produced larger average game crowd. In a City where the Broncos and SoO is King and everything else is peanuts, thats bloody impressive.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Didn't say I agree with it, just if you read back through articles written over the last year or so, there is an underlying reds v ARU vibe. Politics being politics, someone has to miss out.

W

What2040

WJ - reckon you are spot on (in your last sentence)
My mail is that Link is not interested until there is definite change at the top (bit like the Reds) whether that is JON AND Nuci ??????

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

WJ I cant pick up your attitude to this but since youre alwasy so positive about everything I figure no hint of mood must be a bad mood?
Is this Reds power play necessarily opposed by all on the ARU board or just JON's lackeys?
I just dont think Nucifora has the runs on the board - frankly he's in negative territory: he got putsched from the Blues who are used to dickheads (Henry, Hart) and who put up with Pat Lam and even defended him despite his appalling season.
Not sure how you read the Brumbies but with what happened to him at the Blues I'd give the players there the benefit of the doubt.
The U20's have been a debacle.
My feeling (and I conceded thats all it is) is that if he gets the job he has the sort of political skills that will see him hold it to 2015 irrespective of outcomes in the meantime.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't really havea feeling on it, I wanted link back in the day before deans when reds fans were adimant he couldn't coach. Now that link has shown at two Aussie teams he can coach I think he should get his chance. (although I think it important to note that links record is no better than nuci and worse than deans)

I think Quade might have stabbed links chances, having players say they will play for him but not others would have to have alarm bells ringing.

The whole thing just feels like a shambles to me at the moment. Never thought I would say it,but would actually prefer deans to stay than have Nuci.

Status
Not open for further replies.