• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mako back on top.

Premiership​

Pos.PWDLPFPATFTATBLB+/-BPPtsForm
1Tasman540116410722152057218WWWLW
2Waikato530215713222184125517WWLWL
3Hawkes Bay430112010415122016214LWWW
4Bay Of Plenty5203139161202041-22513LWLLW
5Canterbury43018892111110-4113LWWW
6Wellington510417714625193431711WLLLL
7Auckland210146405411626WL

Championship​

Pos.PWDLPFPATFTATBLB+/-BPPtsForm
1Taranaki44001688719122081218WWWW
2Manawatu43011197912110140113WLWW
3Northland5104107209162920-10226LLLLW
4North Harbour210129343400-504LW
5Otago310250805900-3004WLL
6Southland40046012751402-6722LLLL
7Counties Manukau200227532400-2600LL

As noted earlier, I think Waikato will be docked the five points they got for beating Counties & Mako the four from beating Auckland: that would still leave Mako on top by PD but drop Mooloos to fifth & of course if the lockdown announced earlier today drags out too long it could put their participation in doubt (& there must be a point at which "x" teams withdrawn results in the whole thing being scrapped).

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well if you look at top table, you will notice Wellington has as many wins as Auckland, just a lot more losses, that's pretty impressive having the same record as a team that can't play!! :D
I wonder if they scrap the points against the teams that can't play or just call them all draws, 2 points a piece? Also would maybe give Auckland etc some chance of playing in finals etc if they come back in late.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZR making a third & probably final application to Min of Health for Harbour, Auckland & Counties to be let out of Auckland to complete their NPC schedule: if unsuccessful they'll likely have to withdraw from the comp.

Mooloos have had two pieces of good news: Farah Palmer Cup team has been cleared to travel to CheeChee for the Final & NPC team have all tested negative for Covid so should be free to travel after their bye this weekend.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Once again the Mighty Nua is the inspiration for fixing problems, Sam cane on where he got idea to play for King Country;
“I was texting Dane Coles... I think he sort of just threw it out there that I should play Heartland, because he’s been wanting to play for Horowhenua for a couple of years,” Cane told Stuff.
And good ro see Colesy wants to play for The Mighty Nua too!!! A good man! ;)

Also good to see what even ABs think of the Heartland players;
“It’s without doubt real-man’s footy, and the sacrifices and commitment that they show for the love of their province is certainly not lost on me. I’m really looking forward to mixing with those fellas and connecting on that level, it’ll be pretty cool.”

Also knows the rules;
“The guy whose spot I’m taking, I’ll make sure I buy him a beer or two after the game, because I certainly appreciate the fact they’re making this work for my benefit,” Cane said.

“I’m going to get there nice early and have some time to meet the boys and go over some game-play stuff so I’m not a nuisance at training trying to learn on the run,” Cane said.

A man going into game with right attitude, and good that all is appreciated, and publicly saying so!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Govt has relaxed Level 2 restrictions wrt events to an unlimited number of seated, one-metre-apart patrons. In practical terms, for a stadium that probably means odd- or even-numbered rows blocked off & only every third seat in the open rows actually able to be used.

Hawke's Bay will announce tomorrow how many if any fans can attend the Shield match but with a capacity of 19K you'd think the most they could have under the new regs is ~3K so probably not commercially viable but they might still do it for the lift it'll give the players.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
An NPC Week 7 draw has been released:

Friday 15th October7.05pmNorthland v OtagoSemenoff Stadium
Saturday 16th October2.05pmWaikato v Taranaki*FMG Stadium Waikato
Saturday 16th October4.35pmCanterbury v Hawke's BayOrangetheory Stadium
Saturday 16th October7.05pmManawatū v WellingtonCentral Energy Trust Arena

* Subject to Covid-19 Alert Level status following government’s next update regarding the Waikato region later this week

NZR expecting to hear the outcome of their application to allow the three Aux-based teams relocate & rejoin the comp by Friday. Even if that's successful, which I don't think it will be, the earliest they could play would have to be 22/10 which only leaves them four weeks to complete their schedules - eight games in four weeks which is impossible imo. Better to look at merging the divisions & playing out a full round-robin in the time remaining.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZHurld reporting that travel exemption application for NH, Auk & C-M has been rejected for a third time & they will be formally withdrawn from NPC later today.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Update:

"New Zealand Rugby confirmed on Thursday that the NPC would continue without the three provinces after the government knocked back their third bid to be moved out of the region."

There's mention of a Super City comp but I'm doubtful it can happen, Auckland ain't going to Level 2 any time soon.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZHurld reporting that travel exemption application for NH, Auk & C-M has been rejected for a third time & they will be formally withdrawn from NPC later today.
NZR saying they redo draw, and the 3 Auk based teams may play a super city comp later!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Level 3 boundary has been pushed out to include the King Country so unless they relocate to Taupo this arvo there's no Heartland rugby for them in the near future :(

Likewise Waikato will have to relocate again in order to stay in NPC & play Farah Palmer Cup Final if they haven't flown to CheeChee already.

Edit: apparently Mooloo women have left (airport is outside the current L3 boundary), no word yet on what the men are doing.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Coupla big names returning to action on Friday night:

Wellington: 1-Xavier Numia , 2-Dane Coles, 3-Alex Fidow, 4-James Blackwell, 5-Dominic Bird, 6-Caleb Delaney, 7-Du’Plessis Kirifi, 8-Keelan Whitman, 9-Richard Judd, 10-Ruben Love, 11-Julian Savea, 12-Peter Umaga-Jensen, 13-Vince Aso, 14-Pepesana Patafilo, 15-Wes Goosen. Reserves: 16-James O'Reilly, 17-Vince Sakaria, 18-Pekahou Cowan, 19-Taine Plumtree, 20-Sam Smith, 21-Connor Collins, 22-Aidan Morgan, 23-Tomasi Alosio

Canterbury: 1-Daniel Lienert-Brown, 2-Brodie McAlister, 3-Oli Jager, 4-Luke Romano, 5-Sam Whitelock, 6-Reed Prinsep (c), 7-Corey Kellow, 8-Henry Stowers, 9-Mitchell Drummond, 10-Fergus Burke, 11-Manasa Mataele, 12-Rameka Poihipi, 13-Dallas McLeod, 14-Chay Fihaki, 15-Josh McKay. Reserves: 16-Shilo Klein, 17-Finlay Brewis, 18-Fletcher Newell, 19-Liam Allen, 20-Mitch Gibson, 21-Jono Kitto, 22-Jack Debreczeni, 23-Isaiah Punivai

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
King Country v Whanganui appears to have been shifted from Level 3 Taumaranui to L2 Taupo. Not sure how long KC would be able to stay there what with the players & most staff having day jobs & the Union, like all Heartland Unions, barely afloat finance-wise.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Northland going into Level 3 lockdown from midnight tonight for an initial four days. Taniwha are on a bye but due to host Otago next Friday so looking likely that NPC schedule is going to be further disrupted - no-one has yet stayed in L3 for less than a fortnight.

Edit: 1news reporting that Taniwha have begun the process of getting out of Northland before L3 kicks in.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really enjoyed this typically see-sawing contest last night:

Looking forward to Shield match this arvo, time for Mako to become the 18th province to win The Log.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game too WOB!! Even though I was happy with Wgton win, I would of still been happy with draw too (I so dislike the extra time shit for the dickheads that don't understand sport!), bloody fun to watch!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Coles looked sharp in his shift & SamW clearly didn't get the memo about only playing 40min! Also a timely reminder from PU-J that he's good to go in case of injuries in the next little while.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Taniwha & Mooloo men have both relocated to Tauranga awaiting the next alert level review on Monday. For Waikato I'm picking at least Hamilton & surrounds will stay in L3. What happens in Northland will depend on the authorities catching up with the suspected case that's gone to ground & her testing negative & I don't see how that's going to happen in time so likely that they'll be stuck in L3 for another week, too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Taniwha & Mooloo men have both relocated to Tauranga awaiting the next alert level review on Monday. For Waikato I'm picking at least Hamilton & surrounds will stay in L3. What happens in Northland will depend on the authorities catching up with the suspected case that's gone to ground & her testing negative & I don't see how that's going to happen in time so likely that they'll be stuck in L3 for another week, too.
You wouldn't want to be a married man who went out Whangerei in the last week and tests positive would you WOB? Might have to make sure you have a story for missus! ;) :p