• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NZ Domestic Rugby Competitions 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Does James Lowe have a Scottish Granny somewhere?

Rennie has said he's not encouraging anyone with All Black Potential to come to Glasgow with him, but at 24, and what looks like a lot of boys ahead of him, he'd look good in a Black and Baby Blue jersey I reckon.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ra4kTye.jpg

WTF Wellington?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well it is not teams in the red, but Rugby Unions, and without knowing how much they have spent on club comps, grounds etc it not much use even looking at final result. I know from being on a provincial rugby union (albeit a small one and quite some time ago) how many costs there are in some years and how it looks bad or good depending on ground and facility improvements etc during year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^ any details of the "in red" teams, especially Wellington?

Player payments are capped st 35% of total revenues or a $ figure, whichever is the smaller, so it's gotta be other things.

In the case of Wellington I'm thinking it must have something to do with their commercial operations, whatever stake they've got in Wesrpac stadium etc. Hopefully it's just a one-off book entry 'cos it's obviously not sustainable. (Playing at Westpac in front of 500 people ain't sustainable either, maybe they need to relocate to Petone Rec until they're back in the Prem :))

Otago got bailed out by NZRU not too long ago so it's a worry that they're back in the red so soon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sounds a bit like government debt. A distinction needs to be made between ongoing operations deficit and long term capital infrastructure expenditure. The bottom line hides a lot of detail.

Reactions: mst

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Otago taking full advantage of their chances against Wellington. 28-0 at HT.

Have any ball-in-play stats been published vis-à-vis the new rules?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've yet to see any actual numbers but my gut feeling watching all seven Round 1 matches was that there was much less down-time. Whether that's the ELV's, a desire on the part of coaches & players to play a more up-tempo style of game, or a bit of both will take some actual analysis but long may it continue!

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Comprehensive win by Otago over Wellington 44-21. Some enterprising play by both sides at times meant it was pretty good game to watch enjoying a couple of DB Export Gold. Don't hate me cos I like cheap beer, I like the fancy stuff too. Sometimes.

G

galumay

Otago looked very good in that game, Wellington definitely improved in the 2nd half but the damage was already done.

Rheineck used to be my beer of choice in NZ when i first lived there in the '80's. The last few times we have been over the dutch we have stuck to the boutique beers - such an incredible range and such high quality. We spent a year living all over the world in 2014 and the kiwi beers were the best!

G

galumay

Cracker of a game, Manawatu looked to have it in the bag at oranges, 24-0 but the Stags stormed home in the second half and appeared to pull a draw out of the bag - until Manawatu scored a penalty after the hooter!
Hugely entertaining.

34-31

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Blowing a Westerly gale in HamNZ according to the in-laws so most of today's Shield game could be played in the corner where the archway & old big screen are. 12:30 AEST on Fox 502.

Status
Not open for further replies.