• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Official Sean McMahon Bandwagon Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Ever wondered why Australian Rugby seems to breed more then its fair share of dickheads? The answer lies within this thread.

The Australia public and the Australian media jump on bandwagons and hail any young player with potential as the saviour of Australia Rugby, this breeds a culture of self-inflated egos with little substance to fall back on.

Lets make a new rule, no more bandwagon threads until a player has started a test against the All Blacks and Springboks, not a team who had trained together 4 times.. Otherwise you are just setting them up for failure.

Alternately, people could develop a sense of humour. Either way.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah. He's Richie McCaw 2.0.

He can't fail. He's too big to fail! We need a Government Bailout!

Anyway, I'm not serious. I just hope he can replicate his form at Super and NRC level in the Canary Jersey.

I, for one, hope that he gets a shot in the gold jersey.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Just for the sake of comparison, some size/weight data of international no. 8's according to google:

Leonardo Senatore - 191cm 106kg
Jean Manuel Leguizamon - 190cm & 104kg
Duane Vermuelen - 293cm & 216kg
Kieran Read - 193cm & 112kg
needed some fixing.

B

Bobby Sands

I'm not sure what is a bigger cliche. Building up the youngsters before it's deserved, or refusing to accept hype until they have played 50 test matches.

"Nup, he hasn't proven himself until I've seen him start in three different spots, played for the Barbarians in the opposite (backs / forwards) section that he is supposed to, and I've seen him drink 10 whiskey dry's without doing a Todd Carney."

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not sure what is a bigger cliche. Building up the youngsters before it's deserved, or refusing to accept hype until they have played 50 test matches.

"Nup, he hasn't proven himself until I've seen him start in three different spots, played for the Barbarians in the opposite (backs / forwards) section that he is supposed to, and I've seen him drink 10 whiskey dry's without doing a Todd Carney."

Are you fucking serious? He has not played a single test match. He has played a tour match.

For example Will Skelton didn't just look the goods, he was the goods in his test debut. He has struggled to play any decent games (obviously he has had impact in moments) since.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I think that if you are taking this thread that seriously, then you need to log off the forum, close your browser, turn off your computer and then go for a walk around the block to clear your head.

Do you really think that the hyperbole in this thread isn't tongue-in-cheek? I'm sure people think he's good (I do), but I'm pretty sure that everyone on this board is more than familiar with our tendency to over-hype players. And that this thread is taking the pis out of that tendency.

It may be tongue in cheek here, but it would be pretty naive to think that the attitude he's talking about doesn't exist.

Look at all the circle-jerking going on for Kyle Godwin atm. He's had a cracking ONE season of Super rugby, out of....three? One injury interupted, and once pretty average season. Next Tim Horan though.

I remember only a few months ago, CFS was the suject, before that Ben Tapaui. Wasn't a long time before that, that Beiber was it, and Kurtley in high school before that.

Not, I can certainly imagine Kurtley and Beiber's careers playing out in a different way if they hadn't been the focus of so much hype and hope so early, and has instead been properly nurtured.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
These blokes are not there to look pretty in the press.
His goal is to play at the highest level and to do it well. If we the fans cannot get excited about a young bloke who has literally burst onto the scene then there is something wrong.
He has his doubters because of his size but it will be fascinating to see how he goes in a test match against top level opposition.
He doesn't strike me as the 3am Wendys type.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The problem is what is there to get excited about? He hasn't done anything yet. He was very good against the Barbarians but that is not a Test match. How about we evaluate him after a couple Tests?

If you want to get on a real bandwagon it's Tevita Kuridrani.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The problem is what is there to get excited about? He hasn't done anything yet. He was very good against the Barbarians but that is not a Test match. How about we evaluate him after a couple Tests?

If you want to get on a real bandwagon it's Tevita Kuridrani.

Then start the thread...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Through his performance on the weekend he has given a glimpse of what he can do. How and where he fits into the Wallabies setup remains to be seen.
Cheika will not rush him in before time. If he's ready Cheika will play him.
Kuridrani has established himself as one of the most exciting players in the world through performances against the top 2 sides.
His bandwagon has already left town.

B

Bobby Sands

Are you fucking serious? He has not played a single test match. He has played a tour match.

For example Will Skelton didn't just look the goods, he was the goods in his test debut. He has struggled to play any decent games (obviously he has had impact in moments) since.

It is not so much McMahon that I am even talking about it, if that wasn't clear. But just the well worn pattern of how these conversations go.

How many times would a person such as yourself had said "hold your horses there buckaroo, this is this young fulla's first rodeo. Let's wait until he has......."

It's not a bad thing, but it is just as repetitive as the hyperbolic excitement that comes from the promise of young player on the rise. Only it comes from a place of less wonderment. What is more exciting in this world than youth and raw talent, possibilities if you will. Not much I wouldn't have thought.

Anyway, the irony of it all was my original point.

T

Train Without a Station

It is not so much McMahon that I am even talking about it, if that wasn't clear. But just the well worn pattern of how these conversations go.

How many times would a person such as yourself had said "hold your horses there buckaroo, this is this young fulla's first rodeo. Let's wait until he has..."

It's not a bad thing, but it is just as repetitive as the hyperbolic excitement that comes from the promise of young player on the rise. Only it comes from a place of less wonderment. What is more exciting in this world than youth and raw talent, possibilities if you will. Not much I wouldn't have thought.

Anyway, the irony of it all was my original point.

The hide of people to take a pragmatic approach to rating young players and saying, I'll rate them as a top line player when I see them perform as such at the top level.

Seriously how has hyping up players worked out? There's a whole string of players that never lived up the hype. Remember all the hype about Berrick Barnes in 2007? By 2013 people couldn't wait to see the back of him.

This post may be tongue in cheek, but many were talking up McMahon as a future Wallaby all year, so there's a fair shred of truth to it.

On the other hand, how many players have not been given enough credit and then out of nowhere turned into superstars? Zilch.

R

Redsfan

It may be tongue in cheek here, but it would be pretty naive to think that the attitude he's talking about doesn't exist.

Look at all the circle-jerking going on for Kyle Godwin atm. He's had a cracking ONE season of Super rugby, out of..three? One injury interupted, and once pretty average season. Next Tim Horan though.

I remember only a few months ago, CFS was the suject, before that Ben Tapaui. Wasn't a long time before that, that Beiber was it, and Kurtley in high school before that.

Not, I can certainly imagine Kurtley and Beiber's careers playing out in a different way if they hadn't been the focus of so much hype and hope so early, and has instead been properly nurtured.

Read the last two sentences of my preceding post again, and have a think about whether or not they indicate that I feel that the tendency to over-rate players doesn't exist.

T

Train Without a Station

Read the last two sentences of my preceding post again, and have a think about whether or not they indicate that I feel that the tendency to over-rate players doesn't exist.

Regardless you should refer to this specific line in my post.

This post may be tongue in cheek, but many were talking up McMahon as a future Wallaby all year, so there's a fair shred of truth to it.

The hype exists. Some of us more sensible posters believe it needs to simmer down a little.

R

Redsfan

Regardless you should refer to this specific line in my post.

The hype exists. Some of us more sensible posters believe it needs to simmer down a little.

Iareseriouscat.jpg

Iareseriouscat.jpg
Iareseriouscat.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.