• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Official Sean McMahon Bandwagon Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

There's plenty of serious comments here talking the bloke up massively. Just because people like Highlander are being deliberately hyperbolic doesn't mean every body is.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The hide of people to take a pragmatic approach to rating young players and saying, I'll rate them as a top line player when I see them perform as such at the top level.

Seriously how has hyping up players worked out? There's a whole string of players that never lived up the hype. Remember all the hype about Berrick Barnes in 2007? By 2013 people couldn't wait to see the back of him.

This post may be tongue in cheek, but many were talking up McMahon as a future Wallaby all year, so there's a fair shred of truth to it.

On the other hand, how many players have not been given enough credit and then out of nowhere turned into superstars? Zilch.

Not so sure about that TWAS. The star atm (if not superstar) is TK and it's not so long ago that most posters were saying that he wasn't as good as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at No 13.

R

Redsfan

There's plenty of serious comments here talking the bloke up massively. Just because people like Highlander are being deliberately hyperbolic doesn't mean every body is.

I'd disagree. I'm pretty sure that everybody under the age of 35 understands the intentions behind this thread.

But who cares, anyway? Rugby is seriously under-performing as a code in Australia. If you think that the (maybe) 10 people (and that's generous) on the internet seriously talking up McMahon are going to send his career off the rails then you have rocks in your head. It's fair to say that the majority of sport fans in Australia still have no fucking idea who the guy is. Casual rugby fans probably don't know much about him either- some have probably never seen him play! But sure, people shouldn't take the piss because this perpetuates the culture of under-achievement in Australian rugby.

Look at any successful code in Australia, or anywhere around the globe; people like to talk up the next 'big thing'. It's exciting, and it generates interest in the sport.You won't be able to point to a single sport where it doesn't happen. All Blacks fans do it, Springboks fans do it, English fans do it, Irish fans do it, NRL fans do it, AFL, NFL, NBA...

Give me fucking strength.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I'd disagree. I'm pretty sure that everybody under the age of 35 understands the intentions behind this thread.

This. And I'm 41. I appreciate the intent of the thread. Anyone reading it, seeing rehashed Chuck Norris jokes and the ludicrous hyperbole, and then deeming it too much isn't getting into the spirit of it.

McMahon will recover MH370, stop global warming and shirtfront Putin.

T

Train Without a Station

Please see below serious comments on McMahon. These are from the first page alone.

There are a few who have been on the bandwagon since 2011 when he represented Qld Schoolboys 1st XV, Aust Schoolboys, and Aust Rugby 7's.

His Rebels debut against the Cheetahs was similar to last night's performance. Dominant tackles, line breaks and speed to burn.

Having seen him during his Nudgee days it's quite remarkable how fast he has developed.

7s did him the world of good,

I'm definitely on board.

note to ARU, put this guy on an incentive only deal.

He will earn his keep and set an example to the freeloaders that are feeding from the sacred cow. We need more guys with passion for the jersey not the dollar

If this guy was from NSW his name would be trending on every social media platform after last night. Amazing the difference being a QLDer playing for Melbourne has.

The best positive Wallaby news all year and barely a mention to be seen anywhere other than GAGR

R

Redsfan

Please see below serious comments on McMahon. These are from the first page alone.

You're desperate. None of those are 'talking the guy up massively'.

The first comment is Hugh Jarse saying that he's liked the look of him since schoolboys. What's wrong with that? The second comment is an observation on his last performance, in relation to a previous good performance. The third is actually doing the opposite of talking him up massively- it's an expression of surprise at the speed of his development, and doesn't actually offer any judgement of where he is at now.

The last two are a similar story. Liquor box's post is the closest thing to talking him up, but it seems to be to be saying "the guy has a good work ethic that should be rewarded". KevinO is making a hyperbolic, chip-on-the-shoulder point about QLDers being ignored by the NSW fans and media (pretty reasonable, tbf).

Get off your high horse and have a laugh?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TWAS is actually McMahon trying to get everyone to lower his own hype! Hype overload!

While we have you here Sean, is it true you have already been to Mars and that is why there are no signs of life?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
In all seriousness, regardless of his height or weight or the number on his jersey, I hope the young bloke has a long and successful career with the Wallabies - and THE REBELS!

(Oh and, Sean McMahon for Australian of the Year, 2014)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
The problem is what is there to get excited about? He hasn't done anything yet. He was very good against the Barbarians but that is not a Test match. How about we evaluate him after a couple Tests?

If you want to get on a real bandwagon it's Tevita Kuridrani.

Australian U20 Captain, Australian U20 Player of the Year, Rebels Rookie of the Year, Australian Super Rugby Rookie of the Year, Commonwealth Sevens bronze medal, Melbourne Rising Player's Player, NRC Player of the Tournament. What a scrub. Better not mention all those awards to him in case he finds out though.

Probably we should just adopt the traditional New Zealand method for rating players - no one can be considered good until they beat the All Blacks.

T

Train Without a Station

Laurie Weeks was the Australian Super Rugby Rookie of the Year in 2010. His form was only consistently Wallaby worthy in 2014.

Josh Holmes was World U/20 Player of the year wasn't he? He's never been more then an injury cover halfback.

Any 7's comments aren't too relevant to 15's. Vito was quite the 7's player but has never imposed himself on the international stage.

Nobody is claiming he hasn't had a good year. No need for the facetious comments about the measure of rating players. People are just saying until he proves himself as a quality player at test level, let's not talk about him as such.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Hang on, he's hardly getting the Curtis 'next Mark Loane' Browning hype. He's had the best first professional year of rugby from an Australian player that I can recall, has stepped up to every challenge and has played well at every level he's been exposed to.

People aren't just saying that and you know it. There was a huge teary about this thread being everything that was wrong with Australian rugby, hyping players before they've ever done anything, before that stance was backed down to having done anything in a Test.

No one is claiming he's a saviour, the future, or the answer. There's been a stack of debate about what his position should be and whether he'll even be up to Test rugby long term. However he is a seriously exciting player who has people, wait for it, excited. They're now talking about him in a light hearted manner that's half-serious, half wildly self-mocking.

Getting precious about this thread is just, well, precious.

T

Train Without a Station

Hang on, he's hardly getting the Curtis 'next Mark Loane' Browning hype.

And I'll have you know I was against it!

In all fairness Dumbledore, your comments have obviously been light hearted (with the exception of your defense of his size) and I specifically talking about you.

If he starts on the weekend, as our 3rd choice 6 due to injury that's perfectly reasonable. He may even play well. Let's just not get carried away (with serious comments).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Talking up McMahon is no less idiotic than the geese who muse about Hooper playing 12.

When is the team announced? Hopefully Sean gets a run off the bench and we can either sharpen the pitchforks or carry him aloft and present him with the city keys.

B

Bobby Sands

"if you ever start taking yourself too seriously, remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe."

T

Train Without a Station

He's doing great things off the bench in the NRC now.

Status
Not open for further replies.