• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Official Sean McMahon Bandwagon Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Saw that video and I've gotta say it's exactly what you want to see from a back rower in tight. Great body height and leg drive, something people who know forward play always talk about.

T

TOCC

some journalists have already labelled him as a future star.... well done media

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This thread is a hoot - my first visit.

Whatever he weighs and however tall he is, McMahon has a priceless attribute: he plays a heavy game. In other words: he has the impact of someone who is a heavier player.

There are not many around like that, and too many who weigh a lot and don't have the facility to make it count, though they try their best to.

He has another uncommon quality: whatever game he has, he is able to bring it to whatever ever type, or level, of rugby that he has been involved with.

But when I saw him three years ago playing in the backrow of Aussie Schools beating NZ Schools at Knox - with Miller and Baldwin - as a 187 cms and 87 kgs no. 8, I never thought about the prospect of these things.

Watching the game I wondered how any of those three would make it to pro rugby the way they were built at that time.

It just goes to show that if a lad has a burning desire, he can overcome obstacles.

There are many young fellows that I have watched in their school days who I see running on later in Super Rugby and test matches, and the old eyes get moist.

I'm sure I'll have the same experience when McMahon runs on at Millennium Stadium.

B

Bobby Sands

You are exactly right, dimensions are completely moot. He is a competitor, and a true rugby player. It comes from correct coaching at an early age, and becomes instinct. You can't coach players like Higgers to have it.

Despite his height, he is a 6 for me. He and Hooper in tandem could really be something in the coming years. They are both so explosive.

Of all the great backrowers we have had over the years, the general trait has been that they are lion-hearted. These two, have that - but they are also incredibly dynamic. On both sides of the ball.

Very exciting duo, even if they are supposedly undersized.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
While I agree he plays above his weight the fact is that test rugby is a big man's game. I think he'll be a success but not sure it will in the raging success category over his career.

Of course he is still going to get stronger so hope I am wrong and he can become a consistent fixture in the side.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's probably already been mentioned on this thread but McMahon's old man is a giant of a human.
Not sure how much more growing he can do height wise at his age but he will fill out very nicely I am sure. Just hope it doesn't effect his explosiveness

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Super rugby is one of the toughest day in day out rugby comps in the world and McMahon has done just fine there. It seems to me the biggest leap from that to test matches is mental. He'll do good.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So how'd we rate the Next Coming Test debut?

6/10 for me.
Worked hard and effectively but clearly tired from Test match pace towards the end. Will get better and better.

B

Bobby Sands

Yeah, he was clearly nervous.

Good endeavor, poor execution tonight.

We'll know where he is at by the end of the tour. Terrific prospect.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So how'd we rate the Next Coming Test debut?

6/10 for me.
Worked hard and effectively but clearly tired from Test match pace towards the end. Will get better and better.

3 crucial errors and he gets a pass mark?
Or does everyone get a pass when we win.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
made a few errors......but also did some good things...mixed bag...6 out of 10 sounds right....really like how much territory makes over game line and quickly making ball available....hodgo better at turnover ball however......

Still for my mind shows at just 20 years old he certainly has great promise, few things to work on from todays game....but showed wasn't out of place as imagine would have had few nerves as most of the mistakes were in first half and tightened up in second half...

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The NRC has been a lot looser (where Sean excelled) as was the Baa Baa's match - one has to expect a steep learning curve for Sean concerning the pace and intensity of Test Match rugby .... Todays effort I'd rate a 5/10 ,it was good to see him improve after a tentative start and showed glimpses of his go forward against a credible opponent in the Welsh . Would love to see more of him during this campaign , really playing beyond his years ..the scary thing is the just how good can this kid get ?....under the Cheika environment and McGahan at the Reb's the future for this young man looks bright ! Congratulations

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Dreadful first half. Looked paralysed with nerves and made some very, very, poor errors. I'd have given him 2/10 for the first half and 6/10 for the second. Call it a four all up. Be interesting to see if he gets the start next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.