• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

OK, who's injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BRIX

Big blow. Luckily Willem Alberts came through on the EOYT. Half decent season for him and he will start in the RWC. Alternative will be to play Burger and Brussow together. Depends on oppo.

We lose buckets in leadership without Juan though and we don't often get outmuscled with him around.

Stoked for big Willem Alberts. I'm glad he moved to the Sharks, deserved the chance to prove himself in front of a lot more inquisitive eyes. Definite bolter for SA

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree on the concern over TPN. He should have come off at half time really and as much as I admire the bloke in nearly every way imaginable, Taf you gotta take care of yourself son.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
So he's torn a tendon, and by his own admission "there's a fair bit of damage" however it cant get any worse by training or playing? I'll admit I'm not a medico, but that doesnt sound 100%

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So he's torn a tendon, and by his own admission "there's a fair bit of damage" however it cant get any worse by training or playing? I'll admit I'm not a medico, but that doesnt sound 100%

happens alot, i played a few years ago with a torn patella on the same advice, it was sore for a day after but ultimately, when warmed up and in the heat of the moment couldnt feel it at all.

someone will be able to explain it better, but i believe there are different types of "torn" one being that it could continue to do so under pressure and the other being that its clean and isnt going to get worse or larger, waugh must have the second one.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am sure that you didn't tear your patella. May I suggest that it may have been your Meniscus cartilage?

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Patellar Tendonitis is quite painful, my brother suffered with it from sailing.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Here's a story from two years ago, still holds true: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...one-tough-hombre/story-e6freyi0-1111118977605
THERE was a time not long ago that a broken rib kept you out for three weeks at the Waratahs.

Until Phil Waugh busted one. Then it came down to no weeks on the sideline - for everyone. The skipper had set a new standard.

"Phil had the injury a few days before our first game last year, and he played," recalls long-serving Waratahs doctor Sharon Flahive.

"It was almost like no one believed he actually had it.

"We then sustained two more (rib injuries) during the course of the season, to Tom Carter and Adam Freier, but Phil had changed the precedent.

"All of a sudden they were like 'If he can do it, I can do it'. Both those guys played as well."

It's no secret Waugh is tough. That much has been known since a young, blond flanker first appeared in senior rugby 10 years ago, all bulldog spirit and disregard for personal safety.

Little has changed since, and tonight Waugh will lead the Tahs at the SFS in his 100th Super rugby clash against the Highlanders.

It provides a moment to reflect on Waugh and ask: how tough?

Enough for an essay, surely. But the big problem with such an assignment is the lack of evidence.

There's only one time you know for sure Waugh is injured and that's when he's bleeding. You can see it. And even then the flanker will argue he's hurt, not injured.

Other times, forget it. Based on his 99 games for NSW, and 77 Tests, you won't know if Waugh is playing in pain or fresh as a daisy.

Waugh played in the 2007 Super 14 final with a torn hamstring. He played the 2005 decider with dislocated tendons in his ankle.

"He's played with multiple injuries, many times. I suppose that reflects his level of passion," says Flahive.

Ask Waugh to run through his career injuries and his response is telling: "That kept me out?"

You won't know, but if anyone does it's Flahive.

First seeing Waugh in Under-21s in 1999, Flahive joined the Tahs in 2000. She's seen all 100 games.

"You see a lot of people say, 'this is what we have got to do' but then they don't do it themselves. Phil says, 'I am going in this direction, follow me' and the players respond," Flahive says.

Only 29, Waugh jokes he feels his impending century of games when walking "up and down the stairs", before saying he is keen to go on. He's off contract next year.

"I feel pretty good at the moment, but I guess that can change pretty quickly in rugby."

Not that he would tell you.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I know someone who had the same injury and for about two months hardly had strength in the arm.

Can't imagine you can just carry on as normal.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Big blow. Luckily Willem Alberts came through on the EOYT. Half decent season for him and he will start in the RWC. Alternative will be to play Burger and Brussow together. Depends on oppo.

We lose buckets in leadership without Juan though and we don't often get outmuscled with him around.
Well he maybe back for the WC tournament. I just got the feeling Naka pushed him back in action to early. He should never have played this weekend. But thats life.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
You know what those Tahs vs Reds matches are not the same without the Waugh vs Crofty blod fest. God I hope they take Waugh to the world cup.

I agree, Ruggo. He's obviously regarded as past his use-by date by the Deans-Nucifora people, but look how he shines when he's leading a pack that has the same murderous intent.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Thought I'd cut and past this from Rugby Heaven.

As he goes back to the drawing board with his Reds gameplan, McKenzie must also contemplate the loss of Hynes, captain James Horwill (ankle), Scott Higginbotham (calf), Rod Davies (cheekbone/hip) and Eddie Quirk (ribs) ahead of Saturday night's away clash with bogey side ACT Brumbies.

So it would seem Higgers and Quirk are also doubtful..that's a fairly sizeable injury toll from the weekend.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Bruce, I could think of a better bloke to have beside you in the trenches than Phil Waugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.