• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Olympic 7's

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Because it’s only a recent addition to the Olympics and the entire 7s circuit has been thrown off kilter by COVID. The sports itself needs to find its feet again. If participation drops in the next few years and they don’t get back to the hype levels of 5 years ago there is no guarantee they’ll keep it as an Olympic sport.

I think it's unlikely it will be dropped. Rugby as a whole is growing strongly and most international sport has been thrown into chaos with COVID.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You just have to love Fiji, don't you? The passion during the anthems. The speed, the physicality. That run down the right sideline to score in the first half. The skills, the understanding. What it means back home. Congratulations Fiji, you were brilliant.

And comiserations NZ, you deserved to be in the gold medal match.

I agree Rob, it's almost impossible not to love the Fijan's whole attitude. They certainly deserved the gold medal, I not a 7s fan by any means, but they are are joy to watch in every facet of the game, fromAnthems to after the final whistle.
Probably only time I watched a game of rugby (or almost any sport) and whilst cheering for kiwis, wasn't doing it with a hell of a lot of enthusiam.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think it's unlikely it will be dropped. Rugby as a whole is growing strongly and most international sport has been thrown into chaos with COVID.

Fair enough, nothing is known in this post COVID world so we will have to wait and see.

I guess as a point of comparison, a relative of mine surfs professionally in the WSL. They’ve been told pretty much anyone outside the top 10 (I guess anyone who’s not a household name with big sponsorship) needs to be looking at alternative employment for the foreseeable future. Surfing and Rugby 7s are similar in the way they’re global and also reliant on world circuits to be viable. I would say though that surfing as a professional sport and generally as a community is stronger and more ingrained than 7s. So if they’re worried about things to that extent I think it’s a long road back for 7s who really don’t have strong domestic pathways, at least in Australia.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby 7s is committed at the Olympics until 2024 but Brisbane is planning for them. You'd think LA will include it as well. It's actually one of the core 28 sports that a bidding country HAS to cater for in their bid/canditure process.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Congrats Fiji who really showed up NZ's non-use of a sweeper & lack of a really fast guy out wide. The fact most of the Fijians are still quite young is scary esp when the next Tuwai is ready to start steering the ship. Obviously was hoping for Gold but Silver v those guys is no disgrace.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He didn't get selected this year with less opponents for a spot, don't see why he would get selected in a hypothetical scenario when all Aussie Super Rugby players are available

It was not long ago that he was being touted as a possible Wallaby. He is big, fast, has a lot of skill, and has played a lot of Sevens. The only reason I can think of for your negativity is that he plays for the Force.:)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It was not long ago that he was being touted as a possible Wallaby. He is big, fast, has a lot of skill, and has played a lot of Sevens. The only reason I can think of for your negativity is that he plays for the Force.:)

That was more or less on the back of one performance against the Tahs though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The women looked very clinical in a big win over Japan. Bugger all mistakes and very disciplined. Always much easier v a lessor team, but a very strong showing. A good confidence builder.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

I'm a big advocate for the Force and for five teams - have literally never said a bad word about them. My 'negativity' is just that I don't think Anstee is one of the best 12 players in the country at 7s