• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Penrith Emus

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I recall reading a footy program in 1980 (age 18) in which the harlequins were included - i think they may have been 3rd division....and I thought to myself: "Campbelltown and Liverpool would be growth areas for Union. The SRU should do something about that". At that time Wests and Balmain were stand alone league clubs - one in Blamain and one in Ashfiled...so no top local league clubs in C'town.
None of the northwestern part of Sydney had been sub-divided so you could drive out along Windsor Road and it was all market gardens and chickens.

Oh well - those horses bolted along with many others......

Campbelltown when I was there competed in the Illawarra competition before moving across to Sydney with their juniors actually falling into Penrith's jurisdiction. They have since moved back at the juniors level to the Illawarra if the photos I've seen on the Illawarra Junior Rugby Union website is anything to go by.

It's in Rugby terms a severely underdeveloped area much like Liverpool and Camden, but unlike perhaps Liverpool the horse most certainly hasn't bolted...yet. If the NSWRU or SRU had any brains they would provide a timeline for an elevation of Campbelltown to the Shute Shield, but one with set performance parameters. Not necessarily on field but off the pitch in the terms of upgrading Campbelltown showground (the Harlequins home ground) which would require a little bit of work and as above getting a local schools competition up and running to source talent. Those at the helm of the club may have since changed but in my time they were a very ambitious lot. Give them a target and they'll move heaven and hell to get there.

If it works out, do as I said with Penrith. Give them the same objectves. If they reach that point then promote back to the Shute Shield.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Lachlan Porteous I hear has gone to Norths, Liam Winton has come back from brumbies but I hear has gone to Sydney Uni. And I remember Briggs coaching at Eastwood, don't rate highly as he doesnt form a good relationship with the players. Penrith need to get som players out there and to strengthen it's juniors of course. We all know Penrith is a rugby league dominant area but why can't players from the area such as Kurtley Beale, Dave Dennis, Peter Betham play for Penrith and build the club.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Working Class Rugger

Wouldnt it be great if there is still time to do something about the south west before AFL beats RU to the punch....and wouldnt it be great if either the NSWRU or the SRU gave a toss: was it this thread in which someone posted a job ad for an intern to market the Shute shield, 2 days per week, no pay? I bet in 30 years nothing has been done about C'town or Liverpool getting into the top level.

T

Tahboy

Has anyone heard how Penrith are looking regarding numbers? Also with Colts?
Be nice if they can have at least 2 colts teams

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
I Really hope this club can be saved.

We need a strong game in the West, cant left AFL get a foothold!

Any news on numbers for the EMU's for 2012?

Rhys

Frank Row (1)
Yeah, having been "coached" by Briggs at Eastwood colts, can tell you he really doesn't have much real coaching ability, he more rides off the coat-tails of successful players, and is constantly looking for "the next big thing", showing no loyalty to the players he already has.

Another thing not mentioned about Briggs is that before he came to Eastwood, he was head coach at Dundas in subbies when they were in Div 1, presiding over a complete club breakdown, and them being relegated to Div 6 (thats the amount of players they had left). Hmmm...he left once that happened.

Believe it or not, im normally quite a positive person, but when it comes to Matt Briggs.....

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah, having been "coached" by Briggs at Eastwood colts, can tell you he really doesn't have much real coaching ability, he more rides off the coat-tails of successful players, and is constantly looking for "the next big thing", showing no loyalty to the players he already has.

Another thing not mentioned about Briggs is that before he came to Eastwood, he was head coach at Dundas in subbies when they were in Div 1, presiding over a complete club breakdown, and them being relegated to Div 6 (thats the amount of players they had left). Hmmm...he left once that happened.

Believe it or not, im normally quite a positive person, but when it comes to Matt Briggs.....

I Really hope this club can be saved.

We need a strong game in the West, cant left AFL get a foothold!

Any news on numbers for the EMU's for 2012?

I am aware of a player who played for the Emu's in 2010 and 2011. He turned up to a pre-season session last week and thought it was a joke. This week he has registered with Blue Mountains Subbies. This player believes the Emu's will struggle to field 4 grade teams.

Rhys, your comment concerns me. I have never met the man so can't agree or disagree on Briggs' abilities however what concerns me is that if true, having a coach like that around the club will end up doing more harm than good. I'm sure a few years ago (and correct me if I'm wrong) Briggs won the Coach of the Year award. Begs the question, what has made the wheels fall off since then?

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

In fairness to Briggs I thought Dundas' demise was a whole of club effort on the red card front?

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Now that most clubs have been back training for a month after the silly season, can anyone provide feedback on how the numbers are going at the Emu's. I assume the official line from the club will be that they have 4 grade and 3 Colts sides training and then they'll pull 2 colts side out of the comp 3 weeks into the season as per normal MO.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Has anybody one here ever played for the Emu's?

Do they ever have a chance of attracting good numbers?

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Penrith will be gone soon. It will be a sad day. The situation they find themselves in is not sustainable. The NSWRU will be mostly to blame when they do fold.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If there is not enough community support, what should the NSWRU do?

The NSWRU went for a 'one size fits all' development program and persisted with it , even when it failed year after year and hundreds of thousand of $$ pissed up against the wall.

The only way it was ever going to work was to resource the sport in that area the same as or better than the other sports. That was never done.

I have met some cracking locals over the years who are a prime example of how much they rugby out in the west.

Build something worth supporting and they will.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The NSWRU went for a 'one size fits all' development program and persisted with it , even when it failed year after year and hundreds of thousand of $$ pissed up against the wall.

The only way it was ever going to work was to resource the sport in that area the same as or better than the other sports. That was never done.

I have met some cracking locals over the years who are a prime example of how much they rugby out in the west.

Build something worth supporting and they will.

If the locals want a rugby club, then most of the onus is on them, either to fund it, or to find funding. Clubs like Eastwood (my club) were built from the ground up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
yeah i agree with Rugbyisfun
A few years ago a mate of mine sent some of his kids to a pre season try Rugby program, run by the club.
The kids loved it, the mums thought it was fantastic and were impressed by the guys running the program.
Long story short, no local comp for these kids to play in.
.....back to soccer and Aussie rules.
If the Rugby administration had invested a tenth of what AFL spends in the Penrith region, to support the Club and to complement their pioneering work.This hard work from locals would have been converted into participants.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If the locals want a rugby club, then most of the onus is on them, either to fund it, or to find funding. Clubs like Eastwood (my club) were built from the ground up.
Seriously?
You don't think the world is a little different these days?
To suggest that Penrith can succeed using the same methods and financial backing that was implemented by Eastwood is ridiculous

T

Tahboy

Eastwood were donated there ground and have a massive junior catchment
They have some big rugby schools reasonably close by
They have a good club house and changing rooms etc and are a good distance from other clubs and have a major University up the road and don't have an NRL club next door and they still went broke and were taken over by Nth Ryde RSL
Penrith need to get away from Nepean ground as its the worst ground for general facilities and players changing room in Sydney.
They have dedicated people and hopefully they can survive but they have to do this through there colts and only having 3rd colts is not a recipe for success

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The entire approach towards development in our sport is upside down. John O'Neill is a banker. He would have looked at the 'potential' return on investment you get from spending all the money on the product that 'makes you money', versus Clubland that essentially just 'costs you money' and the decision is simple. Unfortunately though this direction just erodes the grassroots and you end up with a very diluted and disillusioned group of your most important supporters. Sydney club rugby is in deep shit. It's as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.