• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Penrith Emus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
How times change. In the 1970's I played u 15's and 16's in the Parramatta comp (from a merger with another comp) and the Parramatta teams were:

Northmead
Westmead
Wentworthville
Baulkham Hills
Merrylands
Dundas Valley (no fun those games!)

Whatever happened to them? They were all strong teams / clubs. Penrith didn't exist as a senior club / district, and Hawkesbury, Rooty Hill and Blue Mountains didn't exist as clubs (at least in Metropolition rugby).

Young gun you've forgotten Greystanes, Carlingford, Campbelltown, Casula, & Seven Hills who've also come & gone in one form or another over the years from Parramatta Juniors. Greystanes used to kick everyone's butt in my age group in the 80's. However, Baulkham Hills became Hills, Dundas still exists, Seven Hills became Blacktown, & Casula became Liverpool Cougars.

Campbelltown started in Parramatta in 1980 then returned to Illawarra about 1988 and then were affiliated with Penrith in 1995 when the zone became part of the penrith metro District. They then came back in when the seniors went into subies but 4 Years ago they were allowed to return to Illawarra out of Sydney Juniors again. Interesting to note that Harlequins have 200+ registered players in 2013. They may well be back again in 2015!

I suppose rather than getting uptight the above reveals quite clearly that "the only thing that is constant is change!"

Fibrotown Insider

Stan Wickham (3)
I find it extraordinary that you boast about your junior rep programme when those in the know are aware you just poached Rooty Hill and Hawkesbury clubs from Parramatta and Blue Mountains were so disgusted with Penrith that they wanted to affiliate to West Harbour in 2012. Sydney Juniors blocked the move to Wests but disgracefully allowed the move of the other clubs. Lets keep things real here, the change of clubs didnt fix the problem, it just moved it away from Penrith Juniors.
Thanks for the contribution Knuckles - you keep the forum interesting!

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Just back from Kierle Park. After an initial mauling in their first game the Emu's ended the day beating the Students. I never thought in my lifetime I would be using that sentence.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Meanwhile at St Lukes, the Emus U17 beat favoured Eastwood team by 12 - 5 in their opening match.

The Emus Playing Strip looks smart.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just back from Kierle Park. After an initial mauling in their first game the Emu's ended the day beating the Students. I never thought in my lifetime I would be using that sentence.

Manly we're excellent and a class above.....'twas a pleasure to watch such a talented bunch of kids. Mind you very happy how the Penrith boys bounced back to defeat Syd Uni. U11's you've got to love them half a dozen red frogs and a can of fanta and they had forgotten they even played Manly!

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Manly u11 continued to dominate yesterday at keirle park defeating Sufc 38-0 & Norths by 60 in the QF. Penrith had a 14 - 14 draw with Southern Districts & played Randwick in the QF going down 42 - 24. The game was dominated by the big emus forwards but the Australian sprint champion that Randwick have on the wing is an amazing kid to watch. Not sure how many he scored (easily 3) but he was the difference. Gordon & Eastwood are the other SF today. My tips are manly to defeat Eastwood & Gordon to defeat Randwick in a narrow one. Manly to defeat Gordon in the final. Emus playing for their final top 8 placing vs Illawarra at 11.30. Emu's have had a great couple of days!

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
I find it extraordinary that you boast about your junior rep programme when those in the know are aware you just poached Rooty Hill and Hawkesbury clubs from Parramatta and Blue Mountains were so disgusted with Penrith that they wanted to affiliate to West Harbour in 2012. Sydney Juniors blocked the move to Wests but disgracefully allowed the move of the other clubs. Lets keep things real here, the change of clubs didnt fix the problem, it just moved it away from Penrith Juniors.

Its seems that if NSWRU had any intention of building rugby in the west, Rooty Hill and Hawkesbury clubs should have been aligned to the Emus in the first instance - given that the large pool of players live closer to the Emus (as the geographical location) than the two blues club.... Its fair of Blue Mountain to stamp their feet in disgust but IMHO, Mt Druitt (RH Raptors) moreso than Hawkesbury (Valley) is a warehouse of a larger pool with a better quality of talent - which replenish the NRL each yr - that may change the fortunes of Emus - thats if there were a system to share talent around shute shield clubs - rather than the richer clubs stealing all the local talent - and claiming them...

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Penrith U11's defeated Warringah today (45 - 5) to claim 5th spot overall at the NSWJRU Championships. Plans have already commenced between the Dark Lord and his Ork minions from Mount Doom (aka Mon Druee) to make another attack on the hobbits of middle earth in 2014!

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Penrith U11's defeated Warringah today (45 - 5) to claim 5th spot overall at the NSWJRU Championships. Plans have already commenced between the Dark Lord and his Ork minions from Mount Doom (aka Mon Druee) to make another attack on the hobbits of middle earth in 2014!

Given the multi-cultural face of Mt Druitt - your wit teeters on being unmistakeably racist... not creative nor clever :(

Fibrotown Insider

Stan Wickham (3)
Tell me what was inaccurate about that statement then Mr Fibro
The truth - it's a funny thing Knuckles - it won't hold the stage like your attention grabber - however at your request here it is.

In 2011 it was decided by the new Emus board that the club didn't have a chance of surviving without juniors coming through to Colts. The board was never as presumptuous to assume that we would approach the existing junior clubs in the area. It was the plan to start a number of new clubs around the Penrith area with minis. It was always going to be a long term project. However in about July 2011 (after once again supporting the Western Sydney Barbarians to the tune of approximate $7000.00) a member of the board received a phone call from the President of Hawkesbury Valley Juniors advising that they were most dissatisfied with Parramatta Juniors and believed he had the support of his club to make the move across to Penrith. In addition he said that he believed that Rooty Hill were also unhappy with Parramatta and he would make an approach to see if they were interested in coming across.

Subsequently both clubs decided they wanted to explore the opportunity and invited Penrith to address their members. Both Clubs also invited Parramatta to speak to their members. I am aware that Parramatta did not turn up for the Rooty Hill meeting - however did take the opportunity to speak to Hawkesbury. Both clubs put it to a vote and the decision to go to Penrith was made. The outgoing committee of Sydney Juniors were supportive of the move however the incoming executive opposed it. Constitutionally there were no barriers so it was finally supported.

As an aside issue the then group of U17 boys (a majority from Hawkesbury & Rooty Hill) were favored to win the State title in 2012. They had been with Parramatta all their days and rightfully so felt their dream of winning the title under threat if they had to play for Penrith - splitting the team. It was a no brainer to allow those boys to play together and special permission was sought and granted to allow the Penrith players to play for Parramatta. History will show that those boys did win the title and now form a strong part of the Parramatta Colts squad.

With respect to Blue Mountains. My interpretation of their situation was that they lacked faith in Penrith to be able successfully organise a junior District. Looking at it from their perspective I fully understood their scepticism. History has shown that Sydney Juniors insistence of BlueMountains staying at Penrith has been vindicated as they form an important part of the District. A final note on that issue - Penrith accepted an invitation to talk to the Blue Mountains committee in relation to our plans for the new District and they still wanted to go to West Harbour. Although we were disappointed - we respected their decision and formally advised Sydney Juniors however Sydney Juniors decided against the West Harbour affiliation.

In the wrap-up yes Penrith did land on their feet re the merger of those three clubs to form a District - however it should be understood that Parramatta didn't develop these clubs - the hard working mums and dads of their respective areas formed and developed those clubs - and those same groups of people chose a new direction for their clubs.

As a new District we have worked very hard to give all our rep players the opportunity to look and perform with a sense of pride that they are now truly representing their area. We had 8 sponsors this year. We also held a golf day and representative season launch where each of our 210 rep players received their gear. This is on top of our summer academy held from November to January. We again held our March Mini Madness carnival over three weeks as well as cooperatively organized the Western Sydney Minis Competition with Parramatta Juniors. We are optimistic of starting a new District Club in 2014.

As a final word - it has always been and will continue to be our mission to grow rugby in Outer Western Sydney - an area synonymous as being the home of the world's largest rugby league nursery. With very limited ARU development resources - if we don't grow our game in the west - nobody else will.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Given the multi-cultural face of Mt Druitt - your wit teeters on being unmistakeably racist. not creative nor clever :(

My apologies Beefcake. My humour was more a metaphor referring to those accusing Penrith of being the dark forces undermining rugby in western Sydney not a reference to other factors. I am extremely familiar with the outstanding multi cultural people of our region of which I am very proud. Perhaps next time a Star Wars metaphor.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
My apologies Beefcake. My humour was more a metaphor referring to those accusing Penrith of being the dark forces undermining rugby in western Sydney not a reference to other factors. I am extremely familiar with the outstanding multi cultural people of our region of which I am very proud. Perhaps next time a Star Wars metaphor.

Its a credit to GAGR that invites all and sundry to participate in conversations about rugby. And that rugby is played by many from various backgrounds... this space reflects that and I hope we never don't forget this to be so. Thank you Cattledog for your prompt apology, I think we share a passion for the plight of Emus rugby - so no more friendly fire. Cheers.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Congrats to the 9 under 15's & 4 under 17's from Penrith DJRU who have been named to trial for spots in the Sydney Junior Age Teams. Good luck boys!

Must make mention of the Penrith U17's who (I believe) finished 3rd overall on the weekend. top stuff guys!

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I watch the Penrith vs Eastwood game (now famous) on Saturday and then the game against my boys team Illawarra. You have a good team there look after them, they play a style of rugby I like, hard up in your face don't step backwards rugby. Eastwood didn't know what happened to them.
The game against Illawarra was a cracker the two teams just went at each other from the outset. The scrummaging was great to watch a couple of times Illawarra got a penalty and took the scrum against your huge pack, it was great to watch. A 20 all draw was a fair result.
I hope your boys make it into the Sydney team they can provide some toughness
Look after them and make sure they don't go to league.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
I watch the Penrith vs Eastwood game (now famous) on Saturday and then the game against my boys team Illawarra. You have a good team there look after them, they play a style of rugby I like, hard up in your face don't step backwards rugby. Eastwood didn't know what happened to them.
The game against Illawarra was a cracker the two teams just went at each other from the outset. The scrummaging was great to watch a couple of times Illawarra got a penalty and took the scrum against your huge pack, it was great to watch. A 20 all draw was a fair result.
I hope your boys make it into the Sydney team they can provide some toughness Look after them and make sure they don't go to league.

Thanks Hugie

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The perennial topic of the survival of the Emus in the Shute Shield has cropped up again.

I'm not sure that the solution for Emus development and growth is based around simply tipping cash into the club/area.

Development, advertising, engaging juniors, starting clubs, running tournaments, meet the Tahs, meet the Wobs, Wobs training sessions/open days, School tournaments, follow up tournaments with club activities, all the usual sort of stuff but with some decent coordination of it all to maximise outcome for inputs.

Get some star power at the Club. Any imported Player should be made to align with the Emus (even more street cred if the actually reside west of ANZAC Parade, or South of the Harbour Bridge.

Again, apart from words, what precisely has been the support that the Establishment have given to the Emus club? Anyone know. Genuine question.

No one has been able to specify what support the rugby establishment has given to the Emus over the years when I posted the above in the Shute Shield thread, so I thought that one of the readers here may be able to outline precisely what support that has been given to develop the game in the outer West, and to help the Emus become competitive.

To me it seems to have been hollow words and lip service from the centre with everything left to the usual few suspects and rugby tragic volunteers.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
When Penrith first entered into the Shute shield they had 5 development officers working for them paid by the NSWRU
They also had Darren Coleman put in as head coach about 6 years ago and I believe his wages were partly paid by NSWRU and they also had a very good GM from Otago and I think his name was Pattinson?
Until they move from Nepean to a decent ground they will struggle to get players and they need to put together at least a decent 1st colts side to build from the bottom up even if they get young players from NZ and throw resources at there colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.