• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre-Season - Rebels v Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't think we have learned anything from our trials. Tonight was more of a training run. I worry we will be underdone for the real thing.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so 85 - 0 to the Rebels, i agree not certain what can be made of that.

my thoughts anyway
notwithstanding the oppposition

defence patterns good, few missed one on one tackles, great defensive lineouts (Thomson and Cummins lots of steals), exit strategy and execution from 22 much better than last year

the breakdown work needs big improvement

attack by and large looked much crisper, but there was little pressure from the Samoans, whilst some passing was behind the player (timing issues) in general the passes were in front and into space encouraging people to run on to the ball. some very slick first phase moves resulting tries. the lineout work was excellent for a change.

some individual pointers that we did learn
Thomson will be a more than handy replacement for Higgers
Timani should run and not pass
McMahon still runs too upright
the Rebels will be in real trouble if either Smith or Weeks get injured
Reid must be in the 23, so must Fainga'a.
Meehan has the better pass than Stirzaker
Debreczini still vagues out every now and then
Hodge is a FANTASTIC get, think he will be in the match day team more often than not.
Hawkins can kick goals, but i thought, he alone, out of all the rebels who played tonight, looked out of his depth

tonights team, starter, replacement,replacement as far as i can remember

Smith/ Ah Nau
Hanson/Leafa/SilivaSiliva
Weekes/Ah Nau/Cocker
Timani/Rettalick
Cummins
Reid/Fuglistaller
McMahon/Reid
Thomson/Fainga'a
Meehan/Snowden
Debriczini
Hodge/Placid
Inman/Harris/Hodge
Ellison/Hodge/Shipperley
Shipperley/English
Harris/Hawkins

no Luke Jones, Injured ? or is TT going to do a Hugh Pyle with him ?

against the Force
on the assumption that no one else is available or injured in the next week

smith
hanson
weeks
timani
cummins
reid
mcmahon
thomson
meehan
debreczini
english
inman
ellison
shipperly
harris

leafa
ah nau
cocker
retallick
fainga'a
fuglistaller
snowden
hodge

jones in the XV if fit for timani who replaces retallick on the bench
stirzaker fro snowden if he is fit

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
oh and i thought the decision making and execution were the best i have seen from a Rebels team, but as i said above there was little pressure from the opposition.

Jockbok

Frank Row (1)
Think swingpass is pretty accurate in his assessment of tonight's match. The Rebels looked rusty, but hammered a very limited Samoan team. My fear woild be that we go to Perth next week severely underdone.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Agree with what has been said above. Hodge showed a fair bit. Backline moves were more expansive than last year. But I wonder whether Tony will reign that in come real stuff.

Also concerned re quality of trials, only two matches one v Blues where our bench in particular was well below full strength and the second v a below full strength Samoa. Not sure what kind of a tune up that is.

D

daz

Luke out due to his wife giving birth to a daughter this morning.

Game was...umm. Combos and slick moves was fun to watch, but it will do nothing for us in the season ahead. Learned very little, and I thought Tony's assertion it was a "great hit out" little more than cream puffery. For a final trial game it achieved nothing. Poor choice of opponent.

Anyhoo, welcome back sports fans. Season 2016 is go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

daz

yeah, where is Daz ?

missing just when you need a tin hat time

Ha! I'm back, baby.

Post-RWC final, I was sufficiently over the game that I couldn't even think about rugby. I have an internal switch that fires me up in the week or two before the season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I wonder if an eye was being cast on Team Rehab when the trials were worked out? Our best 15/23 can give a game to all but the really big dogs, but behind that things fall away.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Stirzaker back net week apparently.

Sefa six weeks away from even getting near the paddock.

22Meter's updates after the press conference.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Wow, 6 weeks is the best case scenario? That's a huge blow. I thought there was something weird going on, but that's worse than I thought.

Breaks can go nasty so I'm glad they're playing it safe, but still.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
The defensive lineout was only good as the Samoan hooker was throwing slow, looping throw ins to the lineout. With a hooker who can actually throw a more powerful lineout ball I doubt they will win that much ball.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
so 85 - 0 to the Rebels, i agree not certain what can be made of that.

my thoughts anyway
notwithstanding the oppposition

defence patterns good, few missed one on one tackles, great defensive lineouts (Thomson and Cummins lots of steals), exit strategy and execution from 22 much better than last year

the breakdown work needs big improvement

attack by and large looked much crisper, but there was little pressure from the Samoans, whilst some passing was behind the player (timing issues) in general the passes were in front and into space encouraging people to run on to the ball. some very slick first phase moves resulting tries. the lineout work was excellent for a change.

some individual pointers that we did learn
Thomson will be a more than handy replacement for Higgers
Timani should run and not pass
McMahon still runs too upright
the Rebels will be in real trouble if either Smith or Weeks get injured
Reid must be in the 23, so must Fainga'a.
Meehan has the better pass than Stirzaker
Debreczini still vagues out every now and then
Hodge is a FANTASTIC get, think he will be in the match day team more often than not.
Hawkins can kick goals, but i thought, he alone, out of all the rebels who played tonight, looked out of his depth

tonights team, starter, replacement,replacement as far as i can remember

Smith/ Ah Nau
Hanson/Leafa/SilivaSiliva
Weekes/Ah Nau/Cocker
Timani/Rettalick
Cummins
Reid/Fuglistaller
McMahon/Reid
Thomson/Fainga'a
Meehan/Snowden
Debriczini
Hodge/Placid
Inman/Harris/Hodge
Ellison/Hodge/Shipperley
Shipperley/English
Harris/Hawkins

no Luke Jones, Injured ? or is TT going to do a Hugh Pyle with him ?

against the Force
on the assumption that no one else is available or injured in the next week

smith
hanson
weeks
timani
cummins
reid
mcmahon
thomson
meehan
debreczini
english
inman
ellison
shipperly
harris

leafa
ah nau
cocker
retallick
fainga'a
fuglistaller
snowden
hodge

jones in the XV if fit for timani who replaces retallick on the bench
stirzaker fro snowden if he is fit

This summarises my thoughts 100%. Loved Hodge, thought he made some really good decisions and ran some great lines.

Siliva looks undercooked, will probably be behind Chibba and Pat.

Props were solid.

Timani a beast. Completed some great offloads in contact, but grasses a few passes too. Was more effective when he dropped a should and flattened blokes.

In all we were playing a competitive club side and any expectations needs to be tempered against this.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I did like the blimp. High risk aerobatics is a winner in my books, every time.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
My side after watching last night

Smith
Hanson
Weeks
Jones
Timani (Retallick would be my choice, really think we need another line out option)
Reid
McMahon
Thomson
Meehan
Debreczini
Hodge/English
Inman
Ellison
Shipperly
Harris

Leafa
Ah Nau
Cocker
Retallick/
Fainga'a
Stirzaker
English/Hodge

Last bench spot would prob be Fugs, was disappointing not to see Crawford and Placid given time at FB and move Mikey to inside. Inman made a couple of off loads but really never looks to pass, really don't understand how he was never made into a six when he was a late teen. Would be the perfect size for a blind side in my opinion.

Major concern is that we are underdone going into two physical games on the road first up.

Hope they leave for Perth by Tuesday at the latest, long range forcast for about 31 in Perth and 29 in SA so would be good to get some work done in the heat when Melbourne is still a bit unpredictable at the moment.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Last bench spot would prob be Fugs, was disappointing not to see Crawford and Placid given time at FB and move Mikey to inside.
yes i was surprised they kept Hawkins on as FB and Placid on the wing when Harris moved to inside centre for while midway through the second half

Status
Not open for further replies.