• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Apparently Magnay and Tuttle were training with the Gallopers this week. Drahm has managed to pull about 4-5 blokes from Nudgee who had been training with Brothers over to GPS in the last week.

Had a chat with a GPS player earlier today, who said Bobby Tuttle, Jayden Rodwell, and (I think) Maclean Jones had all crossed over to GPS.

He did specifically mention Magnay was *not* one of the blokes who changed clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
And no, although I played all my junior rugby at Brothers, playing at UQ is just too easy to refuse for the next few years living at King's. I'm planning on coming back to brothers eventually though

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Had a chat with a GPS player earlier today, who said Bobby Tuttle, Jayden Rodwell, and (I think) Maclean Jones had all crossed over to GPS.

He did specifically mention Magnay was *not* one of the blokes who changed clubs.

Yeh heard just before that as of last night Brothers made an offer to Magnay to cover some of his expenses this year, mostly study costs and I believe hes taken that offer.

Some of the other guys you mentioned have come to GPS because they are being looked after by Picone's sports management firm.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Is it that time of the year already? The biannual "UQ is more successful than (insert club here) so they must be doing something underhanded" accusations are upon us! My how time flies. I guess this means the "Sunnybank are cheats because they made smart business decisions and invested in their future and my club didn't/couldn't" debate is just around the corner!

Every club has its benefits. Of course UQRFC is going to attract players who attend UQ. Of course those attending UQ who are eligible for a scholarship will apply. Like Red Heavy has stated the only scholarship in which it is actually a requirement to play for the Heavies is the UQ Rugby/Kings rugby scholarship (2 per annum). The rest can go where ever they want. But they usually choose Uni.... no one forces them to play at uni. Are the scholarships advantageous? Yup. But every club has their own unique advantages, UQs are just out there for everyone to see.

But to say this is the reason for UQs success is a joke. The Colts at Uni have been strong (often the strongest) year in year out since the 90s. Success breeds success and attracts those who want to excel. If you build it they will come.... etc etc etc.

Like someone stated earlier Uni is very transparent in all its dealings with scholarships/academies. I'd be more worried about the clubs which have no public details regarding their operations.

@breakdown... how about you tell us what these incentives are? Otherwise it just sounds like hearsay.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Jesus Christ, I didn't realise Brothers were the development club for GPS Rugby.

Filth, as I mentioned earlier I think Shane Drahm coming across from Brothers to GPS is a big reason behind it, from what I understand all the guys coming across are Nudgee 1st XV players so Drahm no doubt would be in their ears, firstly about playing at Brothers but then since November trying to shift their alliegences towards GPS. Also correct me if i'm wrong but i'm fairly sure there are lots of repeating Prem Colts from the gun 2013 team playing again, another reason for players to come to GPS as we don't have such a strong squad at the moment.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
And no, although I played all my junior rugby at Brothers, playing at UQ is just too easy to refuse for the next few years living at King's. I'm planning on coming back to brothers eventually though

You'll want to go on at least one tour to UK or US before you switch back. Trust me.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is it that time of the year already? The biannual "UQ is more successful than (insert club here) so they must be doing something underhanded" accusations are upon us! My how time flies. I guess this means the "Sunnybank are cheats because they made smart business decisions and invested in their future and my club didn't/couldn't" debate is just around the corner!

<snip> .

Good summary, and I know next to nothing about Queensland Colts Rugby.

The same debate happens in every year Sydney as well, the names are different but the accusations and allegations are almost identical.

You could almost script both sides of the "debate" in June each year ready for the following year's preseason. Just change a few names of players and clubs here and there, and Bob's your Uncle.

Good to see things don't change.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
@Purce, my only question is why does University have so many numbers? I'm surprised, because it would be hard to star! From what I've seen, University hasn't got a strong club culture in Colts (not grades) as there so many numbers.

@The King, Brothers and others, think about it before you head off to the arch-enemy!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
@The King, Brothers and others, think about it before you head off to the arch-enemy!

I don't think you'll miss me long @FilthRugby, once I get that precious car park I'll be back in a flash, giving all your Colts 3 front rowers a run for their money I'm sure

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
@Purce, my only question is why does University have so many numbers? I'm surprised, because it would be hard to star! From what I've seen, University hasn't got a strong club culture in Colts (not grades) as there so many numbers.

Wouldnt the large numbers they get year in and year out be an indecation of a very strong culture?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No not really, I think players go there because University are very strong at the playing side of things. I mean if you asked someone, would you lose every game of the season for a good club culture, or vice versa, I'm definite they would choose the latter.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would argue the opposite @filthrugby in regards to the culture of colts at Uni. While they have a lot of talent come through the doors you'll find that they have a strong emphasis on the social side of things. I guess it has a lot to do with the number of players who live at college, they have an expectation of a strong social side to the club.

It has changed a lot over the years though. When I played there, in the 90's, we'd get about 10 people to a post game night. In 2010 when I coached there it was closer to 200 thanks to the work guys like @Red Heavy put in.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)

Mate you can't put it down to one or two things. I think the club is different things to different people and it appeals to all types of rugby players/coaches/managers/supporters. It's a surprisingly diverse group for what you would expect from a University club.

There is a VERY strong "Club first" culture at UQ which I think brings in, and keeps, the right type of people(for our particular club). Those who put themselves before the club tend not to last long at Stade de Heavie. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we tend to attract good "clubmen" who buy into what we stand for (and our goals) as a club, as a result they tend not to lose their sh!t if they aren't in the top team. As an example we had a guy who was Aus schoolboy rep who played 3rd & 2nd grade for years happily because he enjoyed contributing to the most important goal of the club. ----- It's funny because this is something you rarely hear associated with Uni but this attitude the very heart and soul of the club and is spoken about on a weekly basis.

The culture is never going to be as strong in colts as it is in grades, mainly due to time spent together, but from my dealings with the colts (and their performances at club nights) they're a tight nick group who respect the club and enjoy being together.

Obviously the Uni and colleges attract a number of younger players as well. My understanding though is that quite often the college blokes don't come down till they've finished college because their comp runs at a similar time of the year.

We can't pretend the recent success of the club doesn't attract players. Nor can we pretend the academy doesn't attract players looking for that sort program. This is the thing easiest for people to see from the outside, so I guess that's why it is often a source of debate.

I also think having the current Reds captain and recent Wallabies captain Horwill has had a positive effect on recruitment. On top of that the players and supporters see that guys like him, Sharpe, Moore, Chapman, Chibba, McDuling, Owen, Harris, Lance, Morahan, Foley always down at games whenever they're in town/don't have a game. I think this reinforces in the players just how much the club means to a lot of people. I think it's also fair to say that all those players are pretty highly regarded both on and off the pitch which sends the right message to players and prospective players alike.

There are many other reasons but I'd say these are some of the main points.

Apologies if this post is a bit all over the shop, I was wide awake after 2 games of touch when I started and I'm struggling to keen my eyes open now.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
A favourite tradition of mine at the club is the Thursday night naming of the Team of the Week from the weekend before. The TotW is voted for by the coaches and is always made up of members of every team from the 2nd Colts 3 team to Prem Colts, Women and 5th grade to Prem grade. The votes from that team are tallied and at the end of season dinner the Team of the Year is announced and they are awarded a shirt/jersey. It's only been going for a few years (3?) but it probably reflects the Club First ethos of the club.

Chibba Hanson's mum & dad tell the story of a 11 or 12yo Chibba being the towel boy for Stephen Moore when Squeak played Colts in 2002, then going home talking about how good Squeak was. And I was only thinking the other day about Dave McDuling - while he was rehabbing the first ACL injury he coached Prem Colts, went to the club nights (don't think he missed many) and really set an example and a standard to follow, especially for the Colts he was coaching.

I also like that the Heavies TV YouTube channel is just as likely to 'interview' the coach of Premier Grade as the prop from 4th grade, the tee boy who has been at the club for going on 6 years etc.

As Purce said, there are a lot of elements and these elements will matter differently to people involved with the club, but these are what I think of when I think of club culture - the intangibles.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
We can probably move on from the Uni love in now and get back on topic. Does anyone have any news on how pre season training is going?

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)

Surprised to hear Rodwell heading to GPS after training with Brothers since Nov.

Are Tuttle & Jones in line for Prem Grade time or will they cut their teeth in Colts for a year?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Surprised to hear Rodwell heading to GPS after training with Brothers since Nov.

Are Tuttle & Jones in line for Prem Grade time or will they cut their teeth in Colts for a year?

I was more surprised to hear Rodwell had been training at hooker after being a dominant 6 for Nudgee in 2013.

And I couldn't tell you for certain, but I wouldn't imagine so. Tuttle doesn't do it for me at flyhalf, but halfback is a possibility. Jones would surely be better off given time to develop further physically in Colts for a year or 2 before being bumped up to the big leagues.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
I was more surprised to hear Rodwell had been training at hooker after being a dominant 6 for Nudgee in 2013.

And I couldn't tell you for certain, but I wouldn't imagine so. Tuttle doesn't do it for me at flyhalf, but halfback is a possibility. Jones would surely be better off given time to develop further physically in Colts for a year or 2 before being bumped up to the big leagues.

Geez. That is interesting @TheKing.

Tuttle didn't grab me as 'exceptional' during his school/ National campaigns but I did hear he stood tall on the recent schoolboys tour.

Magnay is a massive plus for Brothers. He's got a huge frame & is a natural athlete who I can see developing into a very complete player over the next couple of years. Who else have Brothers secured?

Status
Not open for further replies.