• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Geez. That is interesting @TheKing.

Tuttle didn't grab me as 'exceptional' during his school/ National campaigns but I did hear he stood tall on the recent schoolboys tour.

Magnay is a massive plus for Brothers. He's got a huge frame & is a natural athlete who I can see developing into a very complete player over the next couple of years. Who else have Brothers secured?

When we prepared to play him during the season all we got from the coaches was a warning about his athleticism and a tendency to dummy inside his 22.

I'd done my knee by that stage, and sitting on the sidelines all I could see was a quick bloke with nice ball skills, and nothing else particularly special going on.

In fairness I heard the same reports from the Tour, I believe he even captained a game or two playing 10. So better judges than I must think very highly of him indeed.

And I agree completely on Magnay, he's got a dream build for 13. He can be a wrecking ball or a bullet depending on which side of the bed he wakes up on, and both if he's eaten his weetbix.

I wonder what made him stay at Brother's now that his mates have left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
All I've got confirmed so far..

BGS
1. Aiono, Souths
2. Murray, GPS
3. McReight, GPS
4. Cox, GPS
7. Morrey, Uni
9. Halliday, GPS
10. Marsden, GPS
19. Chee, Brothers
20. Yule, Brothers
21. Harper, Brothers
22. Branch, GPS

Nudgee

6. Rodwell, GPS
8. Jones, GPS
10. Tuttle, GPS
13. Magnay, Brothers
16. Leleisuo, Souths

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'm more interested in where the TSS boys end up. That team was absolutely stacked!

Evander Guttenbeil, Sam Clifton (uni?), Papworth, Joel Brown, and the number 8, Fines and Third, Nili Fielea, Joey Fittock, Isaac Nathan.. They had a gun second rower as well whose name escapes me. If they all end up on more or less of the same team they will cause problems

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Just replying to the questions/statements Jets!

Any superstar colts at the Bank we need to keep our eyes on this year?

I'm a bit of a fan of Conrad Quick. He did some good stuff for the Dragon's during the 7's season and looks like he has the right attitude.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just reading some of the comments about the Brothers guys who've moved to GPS so thought i'd chime in with what I know after talking with the guys over the last week.

The Rodwell playing hooker 'experiment' is a long term thing that Buzz Picone wants to initiate, he'll definitely be playing in the backrow in 2014 thouhj, most likely in Premier Colts although he is currently training with Prem Grade for some experience.

Tuttle looks to be getting first crack at the GPS prem colts 10 position, there are a couple of new 10s in grades who'll keep him out of higher honours this year from what I hear.

Out of the boys who've come across the player most likely to head straight into Prem grade would be Richie(?) the fullback. The fullback position has been one of the weaker in gps prem grade for a while and from all reports he's been training exceptionally well.

Also back to the Magnay situation, apparently he again met with Picone and Arnold down at Yoku last night to discuss his playing situation. Broncos have again offered him a position in their u/20s team with real $$$. Arnold is trying to secure some sort of deal for him through the QRU/ARU to keep him from league which would in turn bring him to GPS.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Out of the boys who've come across the player most likely to head straight into Prem grade would be Richie(?) the fullback. The fullback position has been one of the weaker in gps prem grade for a while and from all reports he's been training exceptionally well.

Richard Aitsi from Nudgee?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Mitch Third is going to Sunnybank as he is studying at Griffith Uni from what I've been told. Heard good things so it will be good to see him in the flesh.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anyone willing to have a crack at some possible lineups for Prem Colts?

This would have to be one of the hardest things to get right. Even as a coach of the team it's a challenge the week before the first game.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
This would have to be one of the hardest things to get right. Even as a coach of the team it's a challenge the week before the first game.

No one's being held accountable for their thoughts, just possible makeup of leading/ shadow players that have been training well...

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
No one's being held accountable for their thoughts, just possible makeup of leading/ shadow players that have been training well.

You should pop your head into the GPS School Rugby threads.

I am amazed at how frequently that thread is updated.. Could Schoolboy rugby be more important then Club Rugby?

There's a lot of knowledgable poster over in that thread & a good proportion of 15/16 year olds posting only interested in the school rivalry & banter.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
The chat about Logan on the Premier Grade thread and the notion of them developing a strong colts program for the future just got me thinking, how is colts depth looking at the clubs for 2014? We focus a lot on the stars in this thread (with good reason as it is about Premier Colts) but without depth teams are going to struggle.

I know GPS had about 40 odd blokes down at pre-season so far so should easily field three, fairly strong, teams this year. I also heard that Wests nominated three colts teams but only had barely 15 blokes rock up to the first session. Anyone else know how numbers are looking at respective clubs?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank have had some good numbers and have been going since last year. They will field 3 teams and there will no doubt be a few rough diamonds to be uncovered.

guru13

Frank Nicholson (4)
Breakers has been having good numbers at training in regards to colts programs. from what I've heard breakers should be very competitive once again in 2014

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The chat about Logan on the Premier Grade thread and the notion of them developing a strong colts program for the future just got me thinking, how is colts depth looking at the clubs for 2014? We focus a lot on the stars in this thread (with good reason as it is about Premier Colts) but without depth teams are going to struggle.

I know GPS had about 40 odd blokes down at pre-season so far so should easily field three, fairly strong, teams this year. I also heard that Wests nominated three colts teams but only had barely 15 blokes rock up to the first session. Anyone else know how numbers are looking at respective clubs?

Numbers are up at the kennel since then and are cruising solidly around the 20 - 30 mark. As said previously this is quite a good number so early as they are expecting a few players when university returns. Also from what i am hearing the quality of players is quite good with a few gems in the mix....Dogs will be solid this year, not world beaters but I think the days of forfeiting seasons are done.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Numbers are up at the kennel since then and are cruising solidly around the 20 - 30 mark. As said previously this is quite a good number so early as they are expecting a few players when university returns. Also from what i am hearing the quality of players is quite good with a few gems in the mix..Dogs will be solid this year, not world beaters but I think the days of forfeiting seasons are done.

Not that's it's everything, but was told today there are zero 2013 schoolboy representative players @ Wests & only a couple that actually played 1st XV. "Solid" may be wishful thinking especially when you look at the squads other clubs are building based on the content of this thread...

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I think your idea of solid, Breakdown, was relating to not getting beaten badly, but I think (and I may be mistaken) that TD was referring to solid in terms of numbers - able to field a team each week so not needing to forfeit seasons.

I also think there is an emphasis on schoolboy talent and results sometimes. Growth patterns and weight gain between school and 2 years out can see some players grow into (or out of) ideal size and shape, and sometimes it's the guys who played 2nd XV who try their hearts out week in week out suddenly get alongside someone they gel with and they can take off.

I'm optimistic for Wests because first come the numbers, then comes the ability to select your best side, instead of that side selecting itself based on who is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.