• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Although Brothers have lost a few key players, in some regards they have also gained some. A bit of strength has been sent down to Brothers from Terrace with Fowler, Larosa, Laxon, Mcnamee and Partridge all confirmed playing. If you remember these boys were apart of one of Terrace's more successful sides.

Didn't GT finish in the bottom half of the ladder & very few made higher honours? If they didn't get close to getting the job done @ school,what's driving the confidence that they can in Prem Colts?

Not knocking the boys as they're all good players, but not of the same calibre as those Brothers are losing up to grades.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Didn't GT finish in the bottom half of the ladder & very few made higher honours? If they didn't get close to getting the job done @ school,what's driving the confidence that they can in Prem Colts?

Not knocking the boys as they're all good players, but not of the same calibre as those Brothers are losing up to grades.

McNamee was one of the best 7s in the competition last year, going head to head against Digger McMillan and Luke Papworth. McMillan was fitter than McNamee down the stretch and won the individual battle in the last 20 minutes after being dominated early, but Papworth needed the entire back row to support him in dealing with McNamee. A very handy player who I rate highly.

Similarly, George Partridge was one of the quickest outside backs in the comp who had 5 or 6 tries bombed by the centres not getting the ball out. He'll do very very well at the next level.

Kris Larosa was at the same physio as myself for the entire season, and his shoulder was in a terrible state. Blindingly tough, and didnt perform poorly in spite of it.

Anyone heard where Big Ben Laxon is headed? He's a brothers junior, but haven't heard him being mentioned on here

Sorry about the Pro-Terrace rant, but they honestly had a few players that would slot in to any First XV in the GPS. They will have a bigger impact than some may assume

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
@Galloper, it's interesting you've mentioned the MCA/GPS connection. I wonder why John Eales didn't go to GPS?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Breakdown its interesting you mention Brad Wilkin for Easts and I noticed a few others over on the Premier Grade thread also bringing his name up from time to time. I know he will be playing there but I was under the impression he wouldn't be playing any rugby in 2014 due to shoulder surgery?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haven't seen much of Wilkin, but he has been absolutely top notch in the games I have seen him play down here in Sydney over the last two years.

A bright future in front of him when he recovers from the shoulder injury sustained in the Trans-Tasman Schoolboy test last year. He would have been an absolute shoe-in for the European Tour but for the shoulder injury (dislocation IIRC).

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
@Galloper, it's interesting you've mentioned the MCA/GPS connection. I wonder why John Eales didn't go to GPS?

I honestly couldn't tell you why Eales went to Brothers.

My brother was in his year and as I recall a few other Ashgrove guys went to Brothers with him, including his best mate who went on to become President of the club at about age 30. Don't forget that Eales was not a rep player at school level so it might just be that he went to Brothers purely for mateship reasons, which is pretty much explains why Jeeps have a mortgage on MCA guys nowadays anyway.

It's a bit of a mystery to me, as I'm pretty sure John played juniors for the old Ashgrove Emus before the merger with Jeeps.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
McNamee was one of the best 7s in the competition last year, going head to head against Digger McMillan and Luke Papworth. McMillan was fitter than McNamee down the stretch and won the individual battle in the last 20 minutes after being dominated early, but Papworth needed the entire back row to support him in dealing with McNamee. A very handy player who I rate highly.
Where is Luke Papworth playing? Doesn't he live NSW country area
Will he play in Brisbane or Sydney?

Similarly, George Partridge was one of the quickest outside backs in the comp who had 5 or 6 tries bombed by the centres not getting the ball out. He'll do very very well at the next level.

Kris Larosa was at the same physio as myself for the entire season, and his shoulder was in a terrible state. Blindingly tough, and didnt perform poorly in spite of it.

Anyone heard where Big Ben Laxon is headed? He's a brothers junior, but haven't heard him being mentioned on here

Sorry about the Pro-Terrace rant, but they honestly had a few players that would slot in to any First XV in the GPS. They will have a bigger impact than some may assume

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)

Where is Luke Papworth playing? Doesnt he live in NSW country area?
Is he playing in Brisbane or Sydney

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Campbell Magnay all but sealed and delivered to GPS after confirmation of a QRU deal over the weekend which as I mentioned earlier eliminated his need any top ups from other clubs.

Not long now until first trials, i'm sure we'll start seeing more defined squads forming at clubs so will get a better idea of exactly who is playing where.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Magnay's a great get for GPS, I saw him play for NC a couple of times and he's got a stack of physical potential - not too many wingers or 13's would be keen to mark him.

I was told by some NC people that last year was the first year that Magnay had made an "A" side at Nudgee. If that's true, has anyone else ever made an Aus Schools side from further back than him?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I find that surprising especially on the back of a Premiership year for their Prem Grade side. I always knew they were only going to field two teams but still, thought they would do that easily. On the other hand I hear Souths (whom I believe are their closest geographical rivals but may be wrong) seem to have numbers coming out of their ass and sounds like they'll easily field 3, rather strong, colts teams.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Just heard that Maclean Jones has undergone a shoulder reconstruction earlier today.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Appli
Not once they are contracted full time, WTS, or EPS.

CFS was in a similar situation a couple years back.
Applies to to Super Rugby /ARU contracts only. [ie a member of the St George Queensland Reds or any other Super XV squad], but "Academy or 7s players ARU/QRU" can.

Registered EPS would be, as I understand it, subject to the first, but WTS are the equivalent of Academy. Is Jonah an EPS player? Only Kerevi, Enever and Kuridrani are in the EPS according to the website.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
QRU met with the clubs yesterday I believe to discuss the move of Colts 2 to Friday nights (most clubs opposing the move), anyone heard how this went?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Is Mitch Third likely to play colts or Prem Grade @ Sunnybank?

Did I hear Jake Macintyre had been offered a Rebels Academy contract?

I heard something similar but he's playing for QLD A on Friday so maybe he turned it down. I think part of the appeal of living in Brisbane is that he's not too far from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom