• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie8

Herbert Moran (7)
Have heard that Kalala has left Souths and moved to Uni.

Is expected to make his return this season but not at the club of his manager.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
HTC I like your take on the Souths v Bond game from last week (if you were there).

When Brother's played Souths, Souths got off to a flier. One of the tries (Moseley to Filpo? to Ngamanu) in the first half was a stunner. It didn't help that when Brothers were attacking (30 m out) when they threw an intercept pass for a 7 pointer. They also did this against GPS the previous week.

In terms of the forwards thought that Brothers was superior in the set pieces and probably Souths were the third best pack (behind Uni and the Bank), even though they were fairly similar in skill level to the Bank.

They did fairly well at the break down even though they had the ref's grace for quite a few times. Brother's started really slowly (as they did the week before against GPS) and Souths controlled the ball well in the first half. Even when Brother's did get the ball there were quite a few knock-on's. Not necessarily from pressure from South's, but more because of lack of respect for the ball and not taking there time in attack. This will need to be addressed by them this week.

At half time it was 17-7 for South's and they would of had at least 60% of the ball. It was 17-0 until the final 7 minutes of the half, when Brother's finally awoke from slumber and started to compete.

The second half was a contrast to the first and South's were the first to score with a penalty (20-7). Brother's started to control the ball a little better, however there were still too many errors from them, which stifled a number of opportunities. They finally started putting some movements together and scored 2 tries and a conversion. With the score 20-19 with 4-5 minutes to go, the South's forwards were probably more tired than Brother's; this was a gradual process over the half and allowed Brother's more momentum, even though the error rate was still reasonably high from them.

The game went on well after the full time hooter (probably for 4-5 minutes) and Brother's went from inside there 22 m and were held out twice from scoring. South's fails on two occasions to get the ball dead (from set pieces), which eventually lead to a penalty to Brother's 34 m out and on the 15 m line. This was changed down on the first attempt and the subsequent penalty missed to the left by 4 m. An exciting game and a good win for South's;

In general terms I thought the scoreline was probably fair, with either team deserving to win. I thought the referring was poor and this probably assisted South's. A good win for South's.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Have heard that Kalala has left Souths and moved to Uni.

Is expected to make his return this season but not at the club of his manager.

Wow that surprising since he has yet to play a game and probably won't for 4-5 weeks. Then he has to get fit etc. Even when he is fit it won't guarantee him a game anyway, with the UNI back-row.

Interesting development, we will see how it plays out.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Bond vs Brothers - tight (Bond by 5)
East vs GPS - East by 12
Sunnybank vs Norths - Bank by 7
West's vs Souths - Souths by 15

Ahhh HTC you beat me by one last week so I gotta catch-up.

Brothers by 10 (v Bond)
East vs GPS - East by 10
Sunnybank vs Norths - Bank by 18
West's vs Souths - West's by 8

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

Brothers by 10 (v Bond)
East vs GPS - East by 10
Yeah last week was a disappointing loss for Bond, they did not have the usual open playing game strategy. Both wings were missing and a second game 12. The passing from halfback to 10 was poor but besides Bond did not finish well with ball in hand (too many turnovers) the standard of the ref did not help either. 2 yellow cards to Souths and still none to Bond. A huge pity about Moseley just getting back into it very unfortunate, he ran into the knee of Bond 13. Wish him well and hope he mends quick and well after his surgery today.
My money is still on Bond, the wingers should be back this week and hopefully they have worked on the mistakes of last week.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Yeah last week was a disappointing loss for Bond, they did not have the usual open playing game strategy. Both wings were missing and a second game 12. The passing from halfback to 10 was poor but besides Bond did not finish well with ball in hand (too many turnovers) the standard of the ref did not help either. 2 yellow cards to Souths and still none to Bond. A huge pity about Moseley just getting back into it very unfortunate, he ran into the knee of Bond 13. Wish him well and hope he mends quick and well after his surgery today.
My money is still on Bond, the wingers should be back this week and hopefully they have worked on the mistakes of last week.

With Moseley's injury, HTC, was it a head knock? or a shoulder injury?

Bond has had quite a few close games (Easts, Sunnybank and now Souths); are they finding it hard to control the ball or just not getting the opportunities? At Brothers the closer games have been lack of respect for possession and it seems like they think they have to score off every possession rather than being patient and fully developing the attack.

Your thoughts?

NCWK

Allen Oxlade (6)
My tips(for what they're worth):
Brothers by 8-10 over Bond
Easts by 15 over GPS
Sunnybank by 25 over Norths
Wests by 10 over Souths

Heavies with the Bye this week after a big win last week.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
With Moseley's injury, HTC, was it a head knock? or a shoulder injury?

Bond has had quite a few close games (Easts, Sunnybank and now Souths); are they finding it hard to control the ball or just not getting the opportunities? At Brothers the closer games have been lack of respect for possession and it seems like they think they have to score off every possession rather than being patient and fully developing the attack.

Your thoughts?
Dislocated shoulder which he had a recon on a couple of years ago and went in for recon surgery again yesterday. Some of the games were close and I think the lack of using the ball effectively as you say lack of respect for possession. Too many phases on pick and drive and then spilling or losing the ball. They have the numbers in the backs - Hamish Stewart #10, Dylan Riley #13, Hayden Sargent #14 (TSS 1st XV and near top of list for try scored in Prem Colts) Carl Gooch #11 (TSS 1st XV 2015), Ethan Lolesio #15 (TSS 1st XV 2014) they have all played together before. I think it comes down to delivery out the scrums (Harry Nucifora should be back in a few weeks hopefully) knowing when to switch to the back line or play the forwards. Scrums are going well with Gav Luka back in the mix. So if the wingers are back and no injuries I think we are in with a chance. Another thing I noticed is that there are a lot of seagulls in the back line rather than at the breakdown which I personally would change, don't mind a runner waiting but when you have 1, 7, 8, 5 lining up and 4 or 6 further out on the wing it gets a bit much.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
My tips(for what they're worth):
Brothers by 8-10 over Bond
Easts by 15 over GPS
Sunnybank by 25 over Norths
Wests by 10 over Souths

Heavies with the Bye this week after a big win last week.

Thanks NCWK and welcome. Good calls btw!

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Dislocated shoulder which he had a recon on a couple of years ago and went in for recon surgery again yesterday. Some of the games were close and I think the lack of using the ball effectively as you say lack of respect for possession. Too many phases on pick and drive and then spilling or losing the ball. They have the numbers in the backs - Hamish Stewart #10, Dylan Riley #13, Hayden Sargent #14 (TSS 1st XV and near top of list for try scored in Prem Colts) Carl Gooch #11 (TSS 1st XV 2015), Ethan Lolesio #15 (TSS 1st XV 2014) they have all played together before. I think it comes down to delivery out the scrums (Harry Nucifora should be back in a few weeks hopefully) knowing when to switch to the back line or play the forwards. Scrums are going well with Gav Luka back in the mix. So if the wingers are back and no injuries I think we are in with a chance. Another thing I noticed is that there are a lot of seagulls in the back line rather than at the breakdown which I personally would change, don't mind a runner waiting but when you have 1, 7, 8, 5 lining up and 4 or 6 further out on the wing it gets a bit much.

Yeah couldn't agree more with the seagulls call; I am seeing way too much non commitment to the ruck and therefore either sloppy ball or the opportunity of a counter-ruck; for mine you need at least 4 to the ruck not 2-3. Not only that back-rowers (in particular) are starting to lose their main ability i.e. to control the ball!

Sad to hear about Moseley; see that's what comes when you give more than your 100%.

Good luck tomorrow mate, a good game and hopefully injury free.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Better late than never .....

Bond by 5 over Brothers
Easts by 10 over GPS
Sunnybank by 30 over Norths
Souths by 15 over Wests

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

Brothers by 10 (v Bond)
East vs GPS - East by 10
Sage 2 from 3 not bad, I thought you were way out calling Wests over Souths, good call.
Bond played better this week, still missing Harry at 9 though 2-3 weeks away with a bye next week and then Wests for the last game of round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.