• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS 2023

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
BBC 19 d TGS 17
BSHS 18 d NC 17
TSS 56 d BGS 8
GT 16 d IGS 0

Poor discipline cost Nudgee . Gave away too many penalties. Bye bye Premiership.
Congratulations State High.
Other games, BBC came from behind to win a close match.
IGS were disappointing today and TSS dominated Grammar.
BBC very lucky to beat TGS and I think they would realise that. With a few minutes to go and TGS attacking the BBC Line and up 17-12 the Toowoomba fullback decided to join the back line. An astute College player saw there was nobody home for TGS and kicked downfield. The ball was regathered and BBC scored under the posts for an easy conversion to give a 19-17 win to BBC.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
BBC very lucky to beat TGS and I think they would realise that. With a few minutes to go and TGS attacking the BBC Line and up 17-12 the Toowoomba fullback decided to join the back line. An astute College player saw there was nobody home for TGS and kicked downfield. The ball was regathered and BBC scored under the posts for an easy conversion to give a 19-17 win to BBC.

Agreed but luck fortunes the brave!!!, they hung in there well during a solid peppering from TGS forwards and backs. The BBC backline was improved from the previous week thanks to a classy performance from their halfback especially and the return of Reuben’s seemed to help.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree with farrellybros. - all the big guns are yet to play each other. Also given State High's record this year they are likely to knock off some other schools. Churchie, TGS and TSS escaped with narrow victories (the first two by a point and TSS by 4 points) before the victory over Nudgee.
It wouldn't surprise to see State High win all of their remaining games. TGS and Churchie will be an interesting game at Churchie this Saturday and looks like being the match of the round.

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree. TSS in particular has probably had the easiest run but Churchie has had a couple of easier games too. Will be a big match against TGS this week. I think injuries and depth may play a big role this year with the comp so tight.

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Frank Nicholson (4)
Agree. TSS in particular has probably had the easiest run but Churchie has had a couple of easier games too. Will be a big match against TGS this week. I think injuries and depth may play a big role this year with the comp so tight.
@Lammy , saying TSS and Churchie having easier games todate is disrespectful to the teams that only just lost to these schools in the first 4 rounds …. namely IGS, BSHS, IGS and GT. Apart from BGS, there are no easy games and it’s been interesting seeing the competitiveness of most games todate which is great to see!!

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
@Lammy , saying TSS and Churchie having easier games todate is disrespectful to the teams that only just lost to these schools in the first 4 rounds …. namely IGS, BSHS, IGS and GT. Apart from BGS, there are no easy games and it’s been interesting seeing the competitiveness of most games todate which is great to see!!
Does anyone know how Churchie went against Downlands last weekend...assuming they played each other?

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Round 5 results
TGS 27 d ACGS 19
TSS 38 d BBC 26
BSHS 26 d IGS 19
NC 75 d BGS 0
Congratulations TGS.
TSS undefeated.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Round 5 results
TGS 27 d ACGS 19
TSS 38 d BBC 26
BSHS 26 d IGS 19
NC 75 d BGS 0
Congratulations TGS.
TSS undefeated.

BBC-TSS a pretty even game for mine - bar a lack of completion from BBC when in the attacking quarter and inaccurate lineout throws in first half.

Himothy Butler

Frank Row (1)
After watching Nudgee pump every open team for grammar (including 83-0 in the fifths, 102-0 in the seconds and 75-0 in the firsts) you gotta wonder when we start thinking about relegation.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After watching Nudgee pump every open team for grammar (including 83-0 in the fifths, 102-0 in the seconds and 75-0 in the firsts) you gotta wonder when we start thinking about relegation.

How would that work do you think? Factoring all the other GPS sports of course.

Himothy Butler

Frank Row (1)
Yeah it is a bit of a problem isn’t it. I think the simplest way is just to get rid of grammar completely for a year. They can enjoy a bye year, cause honestly, it is starting to get annoying these bye rounds.

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes Nudgee program had a great weekend, no surprise. What is disappointing is that again the Nudgee boys supporting their school mates and the Nudgee supporters supporting their boys school far outnumber the BGS supporters. This has been the same support for a while pre Covid. Who cares if your program and teams are losing, how about showing some support? You may find some school spirit hidden there? That would be a start?

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
Perhaps they could look at what happened in the Sydney GPS Rugby where Sydney Grammar and Sydney Boys High and others whose names elude me. The Armidale School as well (logistics playing a part). The top echelon of 6 schools play each other twice I believe, home and away:-
Scots, Newington, Kings, Joeys, Riverview and Shore. Grammar and High were getting floggings on a regular basis like NC gave to BGS. Not sure who Grammar and High play now....perhaps Associated Schools?

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
TAS has (as far as I recall) never played in the 1sts comp.

This year 1sts and 2nd played 2 rounds of 5 games (ex Grammar and High)
3rds played a 7-round comp (3rds from the core six minus Newington, plus TAS, SG and SBH 1sts).

Have been some variations to this in recent years.