• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
BGS by 30
NC by 30
IGS by 5
ACGS will crack the century against Terrace

BGS v TSS: Perhaps a little generous towards BGS, TSS still have a lot of talent and a team capable of winning a few more matches. I'd have to go with Grammar, but only by a few. TSS' victory over TGS will give them abit of confidence in their ability and although their season is all but over, expect them to be competitive. Should be the most interesting match of the round just based on competition outcome. BGS by 10 don't be suprised to see TSS on top

NC v TGS: Ah not a good matchup for TGS. NC are on fire and are just waiting for ACGS to slip up. Expect this one to be a flogging, Nudgee are far too well drilled and they should dominate the second half. Should be somewhat of a game up until half time, but the game will blow out. To add to TGS woes this game is at Ross Oval and the nudgee faithful will be there in numbers. Nudgee by 35

BBC v IGS: If I had to pick one to attend, this would be it. Both teams are out of the comp but IGS looks alot stronger on paper. Brought back to reality on the weekend by Nudgee so will have to pick up the bits and pieces to stand a chance against BBC. BBC coming in off the bye, should be well rested but have struggled for form a little shown by their place on the table. Don't expect too much quality out of this game, but should be reasonably close. Just based on the bye last weekend and IGS' realitychecker, I'm going to say BBC by 3.

ACGS v GT: We all know who's going to win this one, just a question of by how much. Should be over 50 points, but expect Terrace to attempt to pull off a miracle. ACGS far too well drilled to let GT even have a look into this match and as a result this should be over by about the 20min mark. I don't see ACGS cracking the century, Jonesy will pull off players left right and centre as they start to dominate on the scoreboard. ACGS had strong leads over BBC and TSS and struggled to put the nail in the coffins, don't expect terrace to come within reaching distance but I don't think ACGS has the finishing power of teams like nudgee, bshs and ippy. That being said ACGS does have one of the best packs and defensive lines in the comp, lack a little in attack which will be the only thing stopping three figures. ACGS by 50+

BSHS v Downlands: hahahaha lets just not go there. BSHS to send their 2nd XV and still win by 20

If it goes like this only three teams remain in title hunt: ACGS (undefeated), NC (1 loss) and BGS (1 loss) (eliminated if they lose to TSS)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
GT boys must have a pretty strong resilience - turning up week on week to get hammared. They also cop it from other schools, parents & on facebook. It is about time GT old boys took it on to pressure the school hierarchy to change the rugby programe. Rugby is not everything but sport is a crucial part of any youth's development. There seems to be a problem with all GT sports programes. In respect to rugby a look through all scores in all age levels shows it is just a problem in the opens. The headmaster & the director of rugby should take the bulk of the criticism not the boys. For all the criticism levelled at Nudgee has an extremely strong shool spirit throughot the school. This is not because of achievements of the cattle stud or chess program but because of achievements on the sporting arena. As GT banners say "No excuses" but time is running out to turn the ship around.

If there is not a full top to bottom overhaul of the rugby program after this season than it will be an insult to the history of the school.

Phoenix

Stan Wickham (3)
Who wants to go first in the guessing game...?

i think it will be close TSS vs BGS but i am going to say BGS by 5 but will be a long game low score

NC vs TGS .. nc by 20 hunt to score hatrick as TGS outside back not the great this year

BBC vs IGS will be good game at the start but IGS will get a lead and just keep growing it. IGS by 15

ACGS vs GT .. i think we all know the answer to this but terrace will fight and seem to find the annoying ability of not being able to be held scoreless always scoring at least three but ACGS by 50 as i think they might rest some players

BSHS ..... self explanatory really win by 50 +

Phoenix

Stan Wickham (3)
GT boys must have a pretty strong resilience - turning up week on week to get hammared. They also cop it from other schools, parents & on facebook. It is about time GT old boys took it on to pressure the school hierarchy to change the rugby programe. Rugby is not everything but sport is a crucial part of any youth's development. There seems to be a problem with all GT sports programes. In respect to rugby a look through all scores in all age levels shows it is just a problem in the opens. The headmaster & the director of rugby should take the bulk of the criticism not the boys. For all the criticism levelled at Nudgee has an extremely strong shool spirit throughot the school. This is not because of achievements of the cattle stud or chess program but because of achievements on the sporting arena. As GT banners say "No excuses" but time is running out to turn the ship around.

you think maybe GT would have tried to keep there level of rugby high after the last superstar Liam Gill left ( australian schoolboys u20 twice and Reds bench )

H

hurge

On the talk about the BGS game, i have a weird feeling TSS will come out on top. TSS new flyhalf, managed to utilize the TSS backline this week against TGS, which has had very few chances with the ball so far this season. I think, if the TSS forwards can supress the BGS forward pack, it will turn out to be an extremely interesting game!
But with the season so far, TSS have lost to BSHS and NC, very hard teams, and drew to ACGS, who managed to get over BGS last fixtures.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
On the talk about the BGS game, i have a weird feeling TSS will come out on top.

Same feeling I have hurge, I'm glad I'm not alone. Wheels have fallen off BGS in the last week or so, injuries, suspensions, tasted defeat and TSS played as well as I've seen them when they drew against ACGS. Looked the better side for more than 40mins, thus I'm abit unsure how they are so low on the table. If they play anywhere near up to that standard then BGS are going to struggle to put points on them. It will be close, lets hope for the sake of the competition BGS comes out on top, I hate two horse races.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
you think maybe GT would have tried to keep there level of rugby high after the last superstar Liam Gill left ( australian schoolboys u20 twice and Reds bench )
how can you keep the talent level high when you don't import? developing players is the way terrace does it, which makes it hard in years when raw talent is down

T

Thomas

Wheels have fallen off BGS in the last week or so, injuries, suspensions, tasted defeat and TSS played as well as I've seen them when they drew against ACGS.

Mate do you really believe that some of the Grammar boys got suspended?
The injury list is:
Lakehm Aiono (Has been out since start of season)
Josh Birch (Has been out since start of season)
Levi Aumua (Was out of the ACGS game but could be back for TSS, but nothing longer then that)
No one has been suspended!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
how can you keep the talent level high when you don't import? developing players is the way terrace does it, which makes it hard in years when raw talent is down

Very well said, Terrace appears to be competitive (although not winning) in the younger ages, lets just hope its a one off year. I think I speak on behalf of all interested in the GPS competition when I say it would be good to see Terrace back at full strength, dissapointing when sides don't play to their potential and even more so when the criticism comes in from all angles. Just have to dig deep, restructure the systems that are in place and cross your fingers that things change.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

You can do it with good coaches, a good strength and conditioning program and most of all, a good culture where the players are constantly pushing each other to achieve more.

The most important thing for terrace in the future is to get as many blokes playing rugby as they possibly can, its absolutely crucial to widen your talent pool when you dont import.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
You can do it with good coaches, a good strength and conditioning program and most of all, a good culture where the players are constantly pushing each other to achieve more.

The most important thing for terrace in the future is to get as many blokes playing rugby as they possibly can, its absolutely crucial to widen your talent pool when you dont import.

at the moment the strength and conditioning program is top notch, with a brand new gym opening this very week. and terrace already has teams down to the F's in most age groups, which is more than can be said for most other schools. there's not much to blame but for a down year

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fair to say BSHS and IGS are out of the competition now? Who does Nudgee have left to play?

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
i think it will be close TSS vs BGS but i am going to say BGS by 5 but will be a long game low score

NC vs TGS .. nc by 20 hunt to score hatrick as TGS outside back not the great this year

BBC vs IGS will be good game at the start but IGS will get a lead and just keep growing it. IGS by 15

ACGS vs GT .. i think we all know the answer to this but terrace will fight and seem to find the annoying ability of not being able to be held scoreless always scoring at least three but ACGS by 50 as i think they might rest some players

BSHS ..... self explanatory really win by 50 +

I think you might be underestimating this Downlands side - one of their better ones for years and beat Churchie by 15 with 7 of their own out after a brutal win against TGS (yes Churchie rested 8 as well) but they are not the easybeats this year at least.

D

Doc

If memory served me right GT came 4th last year and nearly pipped TSS with a side most considered specials for the wooden spoon.

They also produced the second highest number of Oz Schoolboys (behind BSHS) and the games I saw (when they played my nephews schools) the were very solid in defense and at set piece.

I've yet to see them play a GPS game this year, but the scorelines suggest these areas are now weaknesses. Something must have changed besides the availability of home fields.

A

aussierugby93

BBC v IGS have always been close contests and it'll be good to see this rivalry continue.
08 and 10 were nail biting finishes with both sides having attacking flair in their outside backs, in conjunction with hard running passionate schoolboy rugby.

I tip this one to be the same with IGS winning by 5

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think you might be underestimating this Downlands side - one of their better ones for years and beat Churchie by 15 with 7 of their own out after a brutal win against TGS (yes Churchie rested 8 as well) but they are not the easybeats this year at least.

Agreed. Perhaps not by 50+ but a second string state high team would be competitive against most 1st XV regardless the school. Downlands have been impressive, and although they did beat a second string ACGS I don't think state high will let their reputation slip by a loss to downlands. Expect reinforcements and some new BSHS talent to be uncovered. BSHS by 15-20

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
TSS V BGS

Grammar will be down on confidence, but should have enough quality to see off the challenge that TSS pose. Grammar by 8

NC vs TGS

Don't look past NC for this one. In pretty good form and well drilled. NC by 20.

BBC vs IGS

A lot of people seem to think BBC has a good chance. I am from the College and can't see us winning this one, Ipswich will be too strong and will close the game out well, particularly in the second half, which is where BBC fell away against grammar (it was 11 - 11 at half time). IGS by 15

ACGS vs GT

ACGS by 85

BSHS by 10 over downlands.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just thought I would ask the question, where to for Brisbane State High post 2011. They lose their two best players in F'Sautia and Browning, have no remaining players from previous premiership wins, and all of a sudden don't look as formidable as they have in the last few years.. I don't mean to be provocative or implying that they still aren't title contenders, but what are you're thoughts?

D

Doc

Just thought I would ask the question, where to for Brisbane State High post 2011. They lose their two best players in F'Sautia and Browning, have no remaining players from previous premiership wins, and all of a sudden don't look as formidable as they have in the last few years.. I don't mean to be provocative or implying that they still aren't title contenders, but what are you're thoughts?

Change of coaching staff. Their coaches retired last year after stellar run. New coaches don't have great record, esp when inheriting successful teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.