• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cannot see how the gps team can be picked when selectors have only seen one game out of the players. As said by many reputation does count. The move by the bosses in the top to move rugby to term three to cater for afl which has had no support by players was simply stupid. Most schools will now have the burden of not having supplementary games with AIC schools cause their season would be over. The list predicted is the same as predicted before. Cannot wait till they verse AIC.

Mate this is wrong for a number of reasons. It was not moved to term 3 to cater for AFL, the GPS calendar has always been questioned and for years schools have wanted sports to only carry on for one term. Previously Rugby and Football both started mid-term 2 and finished in mid-term 3, the mid term break was a real problem with scheduling and collided with other term 3 and 2 sports which managed to squeeze their fixtures into one term. When the headmasters were given the choice of which sport to move to winter, they chose Rugby, most people seemed happy with that and rightfully so. It had nothing to do with AFL and if any sport is to blame it would be Football which rallied to not be played in winter and as a result of the switch has seen many rugby players have a go at the 11-man code, which in my opinion there is nothing wrong with.

You say the GPS schools will be burdened by not being able to trial against AIC teams? GPS schools have never taken trial matches seriously and results in the past indicate this. The switch to term 3 has just seen trial fixtures scheduled against other GPS schools, and that's the way it should be. There was never any point in the trial matches against AIC schools which GPS schools only sent their 2nd/3rd XV's to anyway. As for your last sentence, I think you are fooling yourself if you think AIC I will come close to GPS I, there is a remarkable difference in quality and the majority of GPS boys play club rugby anyway so will be match fit come the QLD trials.

You may think I am bias, but I attended both GPS and AIC schools and its really not rocket science.

C

Casey95

GPS 1 / GPS 2
1. Pleash/
2. Postale/
3. Sikemeti/Blackhurst
4. Preen/TGS Lock
5. Korcyzk/
6. Gunn/Fitzgerald
7. Mulheron/MacMillan or Bourgoine
8. Oppenheimer/Fakaosillia
9. Quigley/Tuttle
10. Green/Dalgleish
11. Ioane/West
12. Jack Tuttle/
13. Tanuvasa/IPPY Grammar 13
14. Nili Fielea/Lewis Radford
15. Banks / Given

7 is a pointless spot competeing for QLD 1, as a 7's best hope is Brad Wilkins (Iona) gets injured. Just as 2 is pointless - Andrew Manu (Eddies), and other AIC contenders for QLD include Lachlan row, Alex Hatzis, Brannagh Corcoran, Humphries, wilson Bennett.

Also, does anyone have word on how Latham performed on his apparent move into the front row, as well as why was, on the day of GPS trials, Lakem playing for BGS vs BSHS and not trialling.

V

Viss

Mate this is wrong for a number of reasons. It was not moved to term 3 to cater for AFL, the GPS calendar has always been questioned and for years schools have wanted sports to only carry on for one term. Previously Rugby and Football both started mid-term 2 and finished in mid-term 3, the mid term break was a real problem with scheduling and collided with other term 3 and 2 sports which managed to squeeze their fixtures into one term. When the headmasters were given the choice of which sport to move to winter, they chose Rugby, most people seemed happy with that and rightfully so. It had nothing to do with AFL and if any sport is to blame it would be Football which rallied to not be played in winter and as a result of the switch has seen many rugby players have a go at the 11-man code, which in my opinion there is nothing wrong with.

You say the GPS schools will be burdened by not being able to trial against AIC teams? GPS schools have never taken trial matches seriously and results in the past indicate this. The switch to term 3 has just seen trial fixtures scheduled against other GPS schools, and that's the way it should be. There was never any point in the trial matches against AIC schools which GPS schools only sent their 2nd/3rd XV's to anyway. As for your last sentence, I think you are fooling yourself if you think AIC I will come close to GPS I, there is a remarkable difference in quality and the majority of GPS boys play club rugby anyway so will be match fit come the QLD trials.

You may think I am bias, but I attended both GPS and AIC schools and its really not rocket science.
If I remember correctly light, the AIC boys nearly got up last year over GPS 1? Wasn't there only a try in it? Foolish to say it won't be tight again this year? A few AIC teams would be extremely competitive with the mid to low sides in GPS, and the increasing amount of scholarships at AIC level is increasing the standard year after year. GPS 1 will beat AIC 1 this year, but it won't be a beating.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If I remember correctly light, the AIC boys nearly got up last year over GPS 1? Wasn't there only a try in it? Foolish to say it won't be tight again this year? A few AIC teams would be extremely competitive with the mid to low sides in GPS, and the increasing amount of scholarships at AIC level is increasing the standard year after year. GPS 1 will beat AIC 1 this year, but it won't be a beating.

My post was more to do with the assertion that Rugby was switched to cater for AFL. Maybe I was a little too harsh on the AIC boys, they are improving every year and I expect that an upset or two would be caused in any potential trial matches but I can't see a point in them being played right now. To say GPS boys are disadvantaged by the switch to term 3 is wrong, most play club rugby and would probably prefer the sport being finished in one term rather then carrying over 2 terms including over a holiday period which they probably want to use to relax and recover, not train.

V

Viss

My post was more to do with the assertion that Rugby was switched to cater for AFL. Maybe I was a little too harsh on the AIC boys, they are improving every year and I expect that an upset or two would be caused in any potential trial matches but I can't see a point in them being played right now. To say GPS boys are disadvantaged by the switch to term 3 is wrong, most play club rugby and would probably prefer the sport being finished in one term rather then carrying over 2 terms including over a holiday period which they probably want to use to relax and recover, not train.
And by relax you mean get blind all day everyday, correct?

G

GPSPRIDE

I think that BBC winger may be Gareth Kallel, played GPS reps last year and BBC 1st XV for the last 2 years from memory. Do you know if any TGS boys made the trip down the range? Placid, Ivy, Bougoure in particular would be heavy favourites. I can also understand why they wouldn't, probably already made it through the club rep system.

I Believe the winger may have possibily have been Josh Bowen ? He is in the NGS squad and although I'm not too sure, I suspect he may be related to the 15 for IGS last year ?

From saturday's trials I believe the team should be picked on essentially how they played. The team would be:

1. Pleash
2. Postale
3. Sikimeti
4. Preen
5. Korzyck
6. Gunn
7. Mulheron
8. Openheimer
9. Quigley
10. Grene
11. Ioane
12. Tuttle
13. Tela
14. Fiela
15. Still undecided, didn't seem to see any standouts\

There may be a few exceptions but what are your thoughts ?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I Believe the winger may have possibily have been Josh Bowen ? He is in the NGS squad and although I'm not too sure, I suspect he may be related to the 15 for IGS last year ?

From saturday's trials I believe the team should be picked on essentially how they played. The team would be:

1. Pleash
2. Postale
3. Sikimeti
4. Preen
5. Korzyck
6. Gunn
7. Mulheron
8. Openheimer
9. Quigley
10. Grene
11. Ioane
12. Tuttle
13. Tela
14. Fiela
15. Still undecided, didn't seem to see any standouts\

There may be a few exceptions but what are your thoughts ?

IGS 15 was Kaele Bowen. Absolutely dynamic on the counter attack, he had agility and speed which not many schoolboys can claim to have. I had him in my GPS I prediction for last year after seeing him play in the 16s but I think he got overlooked due to kicking issues and league loyalties. Regardless, I will be interested to see how Josh performs.

Can't argue with that team, from all reports Dalgleash was the stand-out 10 so I would shift Greene to 15, impossible to rule out Jonah Placid or BBC 15 Banks at this point. Breaking down the side thats 3 Nudgee, 3 Ippy, 4 Churchie, 1 BSHS, 1 BGS. Who are Tela and Fiela?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
IGS 15 was Kaele Bowen. Absolutely dynamic on the counter attack, he had agility and speed which not many schoolboys can claim to have. I had him in my GPS I prediction for last year after seeing him play in the 16s but I think he got overlooked due to kicking issues and league loyalties. Regardless, I will be interested to see how Josh performs.

Can't argue with that team, from all reports Dalgleash was the stand-out 10 so I would shift Greene to 15, impossible to rule out Jonah Placid or BBC 15 Banks at this point. Breaking down the side thats 3 Nudgee, 3 Ippy, 4 Churchie, 1 BSHS, 1 BGS. Who are Tela and Fiela?

Can't remember exactly how, but due to injuries Bowen played for Qld 1 during the National Champs.

Not sure if he was in Year 11 or 12 last year but he was very slight. Has he bulked-up at all?

R

Rubboo

Would anyone that attended the BGS vs BSHS game like to give their comments?
Score was 22-20 to BSHS. Game was a bit scrappy for a first trial and with both teams not having their GPS trial players available. The lead switched between schools several times but state high number 10 made his conversion. State high showed dominance in the forwards over the BGS pack, while the backs of both teams were evenly matched with Lakehm and Josh L'hota having a great battle as opposing centres. Red card in the first 15minutes to BGS winger for a lifting tackle didn't help either.

G

GPSPRIDE

Nili Fiela, he has proved himself to vest a consistent scoring winger with outstanding ball handling to say the least.

Mika Tela played alongside Turtle on the weekend. He played outstanding and proved to me as a top pick for the GPS side.

Banks hasn't been included as 15 as he is a very injury prone player and I do not see him as a strong asset to the team but yes I do agree on Greene to shift to fullback to accomomodate Dalgleish.

Q

Qldbaby

The BGS vs BSHS game was played with mainly second string players from State High with 15 or so players out due to GPS trials that day. Standout performances from Fergus and Lakham from BGS and No. 5 Alastair Berking from BSHS. No.6 from BSHS also played well gaining formidable metres each run. 22-20 was the overall score, with State high converting the last try.

E

Evan Jasiwicz

BSHS vs BGS RD1 Predictions?
It seems as though BGS has a few intensity issues, and therefore they lack the ability to have an aggressive attack.
However there defense is coming along well.

E

Evan Jasiwicz

A rumor has been going around that Michael Dyring will be playing 9 for BBC. Thoughts?

G

GPSPRIDE

A rumor has been going around that Michael Dyring will be playing 9 for BBC. Thoughts?

Michael is quite a good player. I have seem him play for Met West at one stage and have watched many of his school games but he didn't prove to be a standout. His service is fairly good but other than that, nothing brilliant. I don't believe he is a contender for any GPS team but I believe he will still be an asset to the BBC firsts.

Did anyone else watch the GPS Trials again this weekend ?
Team predictions maybe ?

T

TheMan45

Rumour has it that the might red and black army has a new recruit. Not to sure but i think his name i think the call him Quade Fitzwalter. He got this nickname as his game is so similiar to that of the superstar quade Cooper. I hear has blistering pace and actually recorded the fastest 20m sprint of Terrace. This combined with his massive jink, he will sure be a handful for the defence

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Rumour has it that the might red and black army has a new recruit. Not to sure but i think his name i think the call him Quade Fitzwalter. He got this nickname as his game is so similiar to that of the superstar quade Cooper. I hear has blistering pace and actually recorded the fastest 20m sprint of Terrace. This combined with his massive jink, he will sure be a handful for the defence

Sounds legit, how's the rest of the team looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.