• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keyman

Completely agree with you light on where they will finish, however, Greene will almost certainly play 10 for grammar even though he is the GPS1 15, and the league's Aiono & Birch + winger/full back Radford will all be outside him. I'd say they have a bit of fire power in the back line.

you havent mentioned Bryce Parker! similarly to Aiono, Birch, and Duff, Parker only missed out on GPS selection due to Rugby League Commitments.

I have heard from numerous reputable sources that Bryce Parker and Billy Slater will one day be mentioned in the same sentence

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Most of the selections I have no problems with. But I am absolutely sure some selections are based on previous team and gold squad selections and have nothing to do with current form. I know of a couple of selections where the person is struggling to make their own school team, but are in a GPS team ahead of own school players ahead of them in school team ranking.

I am surprised by the ACGS representation. I just expected more given the quality of their team list. I also expected there would be a few more u16's to poke there nose through after 7 or 8 from GPS played in QLD u16 teams last year while only 15. I think Tuttle (jnr) and Mafi are only 16s selected this year.

C

Casey95

Dark Shark,

Churchie only put forward 9 of their boys unlike the likes of NC and BSHS who put forward, at times more than one person in a single position. 2 of those 9 boys then pulled out of the contest due to long-term injuries. So that means of all the fellows selected and fit to finish the trials, made a team.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Dark Shark,

Churchie only put forward 9 of their boys unlike the likes of NC and BSHS who put forward, at times more than one person in a single position. 2 of those 9 boys then pulled out of the contest due to long-term injuries. So that means of all the fellows selected and fit to finish the trials, made a team.

I am quite surprised Churchie did that. I would have though 12. McClanahan, 14. West, 13. Schafer and 4/6/8. Georgiou would have been in with a shot of those teams, particularly after representing QLD U16 last year and Schafer playing for the National Indigenous side. McClanahan and Schafer were arguably Churchie's two best players at Suncorp the other week, and West has been a constant figure in QLD teams, in fact would have been a favourite for the GPS 1 jersey IMO. Georgiou picked up a niggling injury so I'm not shocked not to see him there and given the quality of the other locks he may never have made it anyway. Not sure why they didn't nominate more players to trial, those boys would have to feel hard done by.

They also had the likes of 1. Leamon, 2. Warriner, 3. Machin, 10. Watson and 15. Hyne who have all represented QLD in younger levels. These boys would have been long shots to make a GPS side but what's the point in not even sending them along?

I think Terrace will have a tough game this weekend against so many disappointed Churchie boys. Churchie by 25+

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
West has been a constant figure in QLD teams, in fact would have been a favourite for the GPS 1 jersey IMO.

They also had the likes of 1. Leamon, 2. Warriner, 3. Machin, 10. Watson and 15. Hyne who have all represented QLD in younger levels. These boys would have been long shots to make a GPS side but what's the point in not even sending them along?

No he wouldn't have. He played Queensland White in the u16 tournament last year, whereas Fiela played in QLD Red and Ioane played in the open tournament in the Combined States team. He would have also had to have beaten players such as Cooney, Kalell and Radford. By the way, I am pretty sure he got cut from the squad after the first round of trials, not due to injury.

Leamon and Machin have played at Queensland club level. Warriner has never represented Queensland, nor have Watson or Hyne. Watson is from South Australia who moved to Churchie at the beginning of grade 11.

Stop talking up Churchie, they are an overrated side.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Why send a bunch of key role players (role players at Churchie, not stars) who are no reasonable chance of QLD selection but might make GPS 3 or the bench of GPS 3?

They could easily pick up an injury playing in mostly meaningless games. The fact that Dan Preen only made GPS 3 I would've been surprised had Georgiou made a team. McClanachan and West seem to be very borderline 1's players at the moment. Warriner has never represented Queensland, and Machin is in the 2nds. Why bother sending them?

In regards to the Churchie vs Terrace trial, it'd be interesting to see who Churchie play. Anybody got lineups for the weekend?

A

Andrew Jenkins

I think Junior Fakaosilea has the qld 1 and Australia number 8 spot filled, as he was the absolute standout in gps trials

E

Evan Jasiwicz

The word is out That Jack Tuttle has been hospitalized after a neck injuring following and touch up with an unknown attacker.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No he wouldn't have. He played Queensland White in the u16 tournament last year, whereas Fiela played in QLD Red and Ioane played in the open tournament in the Combined States team. He would have also had to have beaten players such as Cooney, Kalell and Radford. By the way, I am pretty sure he got cut from the squad after the first round of trials, not due to injury.

Leamon and Machin have played at Queensland club level. Warriner has never represented Queensland, nor have Watson or Hyne. Watson is from South Australia who moved to Churchie at the beginning of grade 11.

Stop talking up Churchie, they are an overrated side.

Fair call Knockers, I may have made an error, I thought I saw Warriner in that same Queensland club team that played last year, although yes it wasn't the 'ideal' or 'best' QLD team possible. I think you are taking my post a little too literally, I quite distinctly said these boys would have been in with a shot, not that they would have made it, like you are implying. My post was more in surprise that Churchie did not even bother to send these boys along, for whatever it would have been worth. You and Sabanator are obviously reading from the same script here so I'll be the bigger man and drop it.

As for that last sentence the truth of the pudding will be in the eating, I don't think any other team could claim favourites over the side Churchie has right now. If you think another school can I would be very interested to hear it.

T

TDR995

Agree with your summary of the gps rankings Light. The basis of Nudgee's over all positioning depends entirely on Jack Tuttle. Only thing I disagree with is saying TGS do not have strike power out wide where their number 15 Jonah Placid is very talented. On a side note, Churchie seem to be struck down with a lot of injuries as of late, the latest being West with a torn hamstring from last week.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Does anyone else share my theory that state high rugby (or even sport in general) will drop when the new grade 7 system comes in.
Requiring 400 new students at a school (Compared to many other schools who already have middle schools and will only increase their grades marginally), state high will surely need to cull the intake per grade. Now, state high must accept all people who live in the area, so we can probably expect to see the sporting/academic excellence students cull.
Thoughts?

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
I think Junior Fakaosilea has the qld 1 and Australia number 8 spot filled, as he was the absolute standout in gps trials

james dalgleish was definitely the overall best player of the trials and didn't manage to get a jumper in 1 either, and like light i agree that brad wilkin is the favourite for the 8 position for QLD and maybe even Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.