• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Fair call Knockers, I may have made an error, I thought I saw Warriner in that same Queensland club team that played last year, although yes it wasn't the 'ideal' or 'best' QLD team possible. I think you are taking my post a little too literally, I quite distinctly said these boys would have been in with a shot, not that they would have made it, like you are implying. My post was more in surprise that Churchie did not even bother to send these boys along, for whatever it would have been worth. You and Sabanator are obviously reading from the same script here so I'll be the bigger man and drop it.

As for that last sentence the truth of the pudding will be in the eating, I don't think any other team could claim favourites over the side Churchie has right now. If you think another school can I would be very interested to hear it.
Round 1, when Churchie play Toowoomba up the range. I am predicting TGS to win this one.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
james dalgleish was definitely the overall best player of the trials and didn't manage to get a jumper in 1 either, and like light i agree that brad wilkin is the favourite for the 8 position for QLD and maybe even Australia
Brad Wilkin is a 7. That is where he will play for rep.

A

Andrew Jenkins

james dalgleish was definitely the overall best player of the trials and didn't manage to get a jumper in 1 either, and like light i agree that brad wilkin is the favourite for the 8 position for QLD and maybe even Australia
The word is out the junior was player of the trials, which was named from the combined selector. However the storm have shown very high interest in him, so it is unknow wheather he will stay with union.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Have to agree with Knockers. It'll be cold, stiff legs from a long trip up the range, ACGS won't be expecting a good TGS side and they'll get done. It's a perfect storm brewing.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
There are some quality locks around this year, the favourite is all the way down in GPS 3 and the other two Queensland U16 representatives are in GPS 2. It's hard not to question the selectors decisions but there are certainly a few head scratches going on right now.

My GPS team's summary:
-BBC have been repaid for years of missing out and would certainly have to be among the title favourites based on representatives. Perhaps they are overrepresented, I would argue so, but you can't doubt they have some quality players there. Depth will certainly be an issue but with their back three they will be able to cause serious damage and points won't be an issue, question mark will be over their 9 & 10 and could be their Achilles heel when they come up against quality backs. I'll give them a top 4 finish, possibly even 1st if a few results go their way.

- NC have dominated the forwards but look weak in the backs with the exception of the Tuttle bros. They have plenty of representatives but not the spread that they would want, backs could be a real issue if Tuttle's injury is as bad as first thought. I can't see them winning it but a top 3 finish is realistic.

- BGS have real quality in the back three and a few standouts in the forwards but could be in for a long season. We all know Greene won't miss with the boot but they could struggle to get points on the board through the midfield and their pigs aren't really setting the world on fire. Cornelson could arguably be higher, so too Radford and Blackhurst. Real quality players. They could probably finish as high as 5th and as low as 8th.

9. BSHS
8. GT
7. IGS
6. BGS
5. TSS
4. TGS
2. NC
2. BBC
1. ACGS
I agree with most of these selections, Light. However, i predict Nudgee to once again take out the premiership. They have a lot of depth in the forwards, especially with QLD u16 rep Daniel Anae probably not featuring the starting line up. But, outside backs will be a big issue for them.

BBC will be strong this year but cannot see them taking out second place. Maybe around 4th? They have done massive recruiting, maybe just as much as Churchie, but they lack 2nd rowers and as a result they may be weak in the line-out. They have an incredibly strong backline though, so I would not write them off finishing very high on the table and probably stringing together some upsets.

With BGS, you have failed to mention their centre pairing, which is probably one of the best in the competition. Aiono (Inisde Centre), Birch (Outside Centre), both of whom are Junior Broncos. Backline looking to be a very strong one. I disagree about their tight 5 (pigs). Blackhurst should have been selected in a higher GPS team and Nick Anderson missed out on selection questionably.

My Prediction:
1. Nudgee
2. Churchie
3. BBC
3. BGS
4. TGS
5. TSS
6. IGS
7. GT
8. BSHS

A

Andrew Jenkins

BBC Player Conrad Quick has apparently been selected in the reds acadamy for 2013, this is still very early so things could change. However in saying that congratulations to the young lad.

hotman

Peter Burge (5)
brad wilkin wheres the number 8 for iona but moved back to 7 after the first game, will make qld 1 and aus schoolboys more than likely at 7

Kesh

Frank Row (1)
Sala, Loukaras, Matthews, Kendall, Lhota have also seen time with the firsts and are looking great with the added experience.
Next year is looking promising for state high however Light's comments are very valid.

mate Benroy Sala has moved to BBC on a scholarship and will most likely be on the bench for the First XV
big loss to State high

G

Galloper95

I am quite surprised Churchie did that. I would have though 12. McClanahan, 14. West, 13. Schafer and 4/6/8. Georgiou would have been in with a shot of those teams, particularly after representing QLD U16 last year and Schafer playing for the National Indigenous side. McClanahan and Schafer were arguably Churchie's two best players at Suncorp the other week, and West has been a constant figure in QLD teams, in fact would have been a favourite for the GPS 1 jersey IMO. Georgiou picked up a niggling injury so I'm not shocked not to see him there and given the quality of the other locks he may never have made it anyway. Not sure why they didn't nominate more players to trial, those boys would have to feel hard done by.

They also had the likes of 1. Leamon, 2. Warriner, 3. Machin, 10. Watson and 15. Hyne who have all represented QLD in younger levels. These boys would have been long shots to make a GPS side but what's the point in not even sending them along?

I think Terrace will have a tough game this weekend against so many disappointed Churchie boys. Churchie by 25+
Machin doesn't even play 1sts why send him?

G

GPSPRIDE

I believe there is a trial in Ipswich this weekend.

IGS v BBC but only the A grade players are expected to play, this may just be a rumour but if someone can confirm it's true as well as any thought on the match result ?

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe there is a trial in Ipswich this weekend.

IGS v BBC but only the A grade players are expected to play, this may just be a rumour but if someone can confirm it's true as well as any thought on the match result ?

Yes, BBC v IGS @ Ipswich 11:30 ... the 1sts but a junior game/s before hand. BBC seems to be getting some backing from the pundits this year, will they have a shot at their first ever sole title? I don't know if Tom Barker will play his hand this early. We may have to wait for round 1 v NC to get better indication if the boys in green will be genuine contenders this year.

Alias33

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes, BBC have some severe backing this year but as a school they lack the rugby pedigree of NC or ACGS. This is evident in their sole premiership win, a 4-way tie in the 50's in a washed out season. As much as I would love to see them come out on top and beat powerhouses like Nudge or Churchie, I'm afraid all the talk is just that... Talk.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Nudgee versus State High could be a bit of fun.
Two traditional title contenders, although by all accounts BSHS is but a shadow of former sides.
And obviously only a trial so squads used and no-one cares that much about a loss.
Terrace versus Churchie could give an early insight on whether GT will endure another annus horribilis.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I think Nudgee could easily be pretty bad this year too. They have a great pack but their backline has some serious holes in it.

D

Dort Muff

who's the fave pic for GT v ACGS tomorrow, with a large amount of injuries in both sides there could be some under dogs stepping up to the plate. I heard GT is fronting up both Lachlan Farr and Marco Amato? Can this be confirmed? Also apparently ACGS are giving the big Benny Willliams a shot to prove his worth. Comments?

F

funkman3838

who's the fave pic for GT v ACGS tomorrow, with a large amount of injuries in both sides there could be some under dogs stepping up to the plate. I heard GT is fronting up both Lachlan Farr and Marco Amato? Can this be confirmed? Also apparently ACGS are giving the big Benny Willliams a shot to prove his worth. Comments?
some have suggested that an upset is in store, the terrace team has some firepower ready to help it push through

Status
Not open for further replies.