• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBS

Bob McCowan (2)
Details have emerged that a school close to the border has been seen parading an "import" from a rival GPS school in 2013. Surely this inter-GPS scouting contravenes the guidelines of fair play?

What ??? Like Ben Tarr - BBC 2011 >>> TSS 2012

Back for the first time in 2013. Solid banter !!

Does someone have a comprehensive line up of Coaches for 2013 and a short history ?

Emtage & Gardner were impressive last year by getting inside the heads of a fair team with a star or 2 & pulling together a team who wanted to win for each other & the coaches. Rather than being a ego driven dream team.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
BGS don't start training until the start of Term 2. I would say Toowoomba, Churchie, Nudgee, BBC and Southport would all have started (considering they started this early last year).

New Toowoomba coach, different set up. Churchie have definitely started. And are you sure BGS start then?

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
New Toowoomba coach, different set up. Churchie have definitely started. And are you sure BGS start then?
Yeah Swarley I'm not 100% sure but i am reasonably certain that's when they started last year. I haven't seen anyone training yet though. Toowoomba should start training; they'll need it. Losing players like Placid, Deck, Potgieter, Drew, Hartley, Vanzati and Minenko, as well as their coach will hurt them. Churchie looking strong with their new coach and players, but that's what everyone was saying this time last year. Hopefully this time round they will actually play to their potential. My early tips are NC, TSS, BGS and ACGS. GT to be competitive and BBCs lack of depth will hurt them. I don't rate IGS this year unless they have picked up new players or if some stars have decided to give year 12 another crack. Any news on Ippy?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Come on. 2011 had Browning, Sautia and many other talented players. They should have won the comp. However they were completely dysfuntional and finished 5th. BGS won the comp last year because they were the best coached team. On paper they weren't that great. They have had a taste and will win again this year. BSHS have the same head coach as last year. He didn't pick the best team regardless of what year they were in and created a toxic environment (to quote the great Quade). Anyway it is all academic. BSHS have no money to spend on rugby programmes and are stuck with whoever is available on staff. They fluked it with Noon. GPS rugby has gone professional with the other well funded school throwing serious coin at their programmes including coaches. Even GT are importing but it seems not very well. BSHS can no longer attract the likes of Browning, Sautia, Quirk, Toomoua ect. Good players have been poached by other GPS schools. BSHS also struggles to find places for rugby players as according to the papers too many people have moved into the catchment area and there is little or no room for merit entry. For the foreseeable future it will be a yearly derby between BSHS and GT for the wooden spoon. BGS to win in 2013. TSS, NC and Churchie will have their own competition to see how much money they can spend on rugby.

Sure you make a valid point that State High have underachieved but to say that merit scholarships aren't being offered as often and that BSHS will struggle to attract good coaches is a pretty big call.. Their 16A's last year were very strong.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Apparently, 17/22 from TSS 1st XV squad last year have been retained.. so if they have picked up a few new players it doesn't leave much room for players from last years strong u16 or 2nds.
That may be so, but I think when the team is picked there wil be a lot of familiar names. I can think of 11 or 12 that will be there barring injury and TSS could certainly have a team without imports that would be capable of winning GPS. With the depth from last year it will take a very talented import to make the team, not saying they can't. You would be surprised but there are scholarship players who have not made 1st XV in the past at all schools. There was always going to be competition for spots this year and there will be players in the 2nd's that would be a walk up start for 1st's at other GPS schools.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
That may be so, but I think when the team is picked there wil be a lot of familiar names. I can think of 11 or 12 that will be there barring injury and TSS could certainly have a team without imports that would be capable of winning GPS. With the depth from last year it will take a very talented import to make the team, not saying they can't. You would be surprised but there are scholarship players who have not made 1st XV in the past at all schools. There was always going to be competition for spots this year and there will be players in the 2nd's that would be a walk up start for 1st's at other GPS schools.

I disagree with this. Firstly, TSS generally have very weak U13 and U14 age groups but when it comes to Year 10 and 11, they suddenly become very strong because they bring in a tonne of new players. Southport would have around 7 or 8 boys on some form of scholarship in their First XV. Nonetheless, TSS will be very, very strong this year.

On the second point, i also disagree. It is mainly schools like Churchie, Nudgee and Southport who import players who end of playing in the 2nd XV. I don't think many people can refute the fact that those three schools have always done the most importing of players. Most of the other GPS schools bring in players who they know will play in the First XV.

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
I disagree with this. Firstly, TSS generally have very weak U13 and U14 age groups but when it comes to Year 10 and 11, they suddenly become very strong because they bring in a tonne of new players. Southport would have around 7 or 8 boys on some form of scholarship in their First XV. Nonetheless, TSS will be very, very strong this year.

On the second point, i also disagree. It is mainly schools like Churchie, Nudgee and Southport who import players who end of playing in the 2nd XV. I don't think many people can refute the fact that those three schools have always done the most importing of players. Most of the other GPS schools bring in players who they know will play in the First XV.

Well if they bring in players a lot of those players dont make 1st XV then they really are giving kids a chance as opposed to the ones that only bring in ones that they know will make 1st XV. Last years U 16 A TSS team won the premiership with the same team that went ordinary in the 15's. In fact that team has been basically unchanged since the 13's. Does anyone ever give credit that the Rugby Program and the kids improve at schools.

Coogee Boy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well if they bring in players a lot of those players dont make 1st XV then they really are giving kids a chance as opposed to the ones that only bring in ones that they know will make 1st XV. Last years U 16 A TSS team won the premiership with the same team that went ordinary in the 15's. In fact that team has been basically unchanged since the 13's. Does anyone ever give credit that the Rugby Program and the kids improve at schools.
Agreed, TSS has a great rugby training and last yrs 16's were very strong. Though, how many will make it into the 1st 15 and not many had 1st's experience last year... twill be interesting.

T

tom makes hunnets

GlobeTrotter, I guess you are also a TSS supporter, I am unaware that Sam Clifton and Mitch Third will be there next year (they are in year 12.) Nonetheless, I am sure they can cover their losses having won the 16's premiership. I agree with the team except I would play Gibson at 12, Fielea at 11 and Neal at 15. All of those players can cover multiple positions, except for Third and Nathan, who should be set in their respective positions. PJ has been playing everywhere for the 16's also. The Terrace team will be good. Top 5.

throw james scott in second row as well i recon

mbw

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agreed, TSS has a great rugby training and last yrs 16's were very strong. Though, how many will make it into the 1st 15 and not many had 1st's experience last year. twill be interesting.
Yes it will be hard as there were a lot of Grade 11's in the 1st XV last year and Clifton and Third coming back. But you dont know as last year Gibson was fringe and got about 5 starting gigs and did extremely well. Nathan can play anywhere too. Before he was in the 1st's he has played centre or fullback just as well.

the-Greatest-Gatsby

Frank Row (1)
G'day fellow GPS rugby enthusiasts! What a season it is set to be! With the growing talent across all schools it looks to be a competitive year. I cannot wait for the opening round, 2012 Grand Final rematch, Nudgee vs Grammar out at northgate! With the likes of Tuttle, Mafi, Rodwell and new boys Pilz and Luka up against Marsden, Morrey, Laud, Halliday and Kemp it is destined to be a spectacle. I know its early but Im tipping the nudgee lads to get up, they will be eager to make an early statement on the competition after a disappointing loss in last years finale.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Rumours are circulating that Grammar's Matt Marsden has sustained an injury to his ankle, the extent of the damage won't be confirmed until Tuesday but worrying times ahead for the Light Dark Blue if the discovery of 2011 is ruled out for any substantial period of time.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
Rumours are circulating that Grammar's Matt Marsden has sustained an injury to his ankle, the extent of the damage won't be confirmed until Tuesday but worrying times ahead for the Light Dark Blue if the discovery of 2011 is ruled out for any substantial period of time.

Zac Laud and Dan Forsyth are still their so no huge loss.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Zac Laud and Dan Forsyth are still their so no huge loss.
That's a big statement! No one else in the Grammar team has displayed skills like Marsden has; but yes, Laud, Kemp and Forsyth are more than capable of playing in the First XV rugby.

Old School

Frank Row (1)
My BBC sources say that loss of Jnr has been taken philosophicaly by the boys from Toowong, especially given that they played most of the 2012 season without him. There has, however, been reported sightings of a good number of new boarders donning the green and black at early pre-season training. We await the unveiling!
Heard on the grapevine that BBC have 2 qld rep players from North Qld they may be amongst the new faces at training.

Status
Not open for further replies.