• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueNwhite

Frank Row (1)
I've heard that due to Carlin's size and strength, IGS are trialling him at loosehead. I believe Ipswich are looking to play an expansive attacking game with strong ball players and runners spread throughout the side.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I've heard that due to Carlin's size and strength, IGS are trialling him at loosehead. I believe Ipswich are looking to play an expansive attacking game with strong ball players and runners spread throughout the side.

That also seems to be the theme with BGS. Moving Lakehm to prop and Kemp to flanker sounds like they are looking for a very fast game across the field.

The King

Stan Wickham (3)
I heard from the coach himself Harry Parcell is the best hooker to go through the school? Any truth to this?

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Great idea SeaEagles. I agree that there would be a ready market for 1st XV fixtures which generally produce high quality matches backed with the rivalry and tribalism generated from 100 year plus fixture histories and the old school tie aspects of the crowd - and at least there are crowds to generate some atmosphere unlike Colts or grade matches. The tightening of the competition is generally a good thing IMO. Everyone has to be on their game every week and it is a test of culture to see if the often difficult waters of a senior school experience can be negotiated with all players buying into a culture which can keep them steady when the boat rocks - as it is bound to do over a long pre-season and season. BBC may get some quality players in but don't have the requisite culture to keep them at the school - and never have,even before the days of scholarships. They have had some good players but you can't argue with a 100+ year old school with a sole premiership as part of a 4 way tie in the 50's - what rugby history pf high level performance beyond a team in the 50's and a solid side in the mid- eighties does the place have? - bugger all I'd say. Make sure you get it right before you respond too - I'm not saying Gould, Leslie, Gardner,Horwill Genia, Palm et al are bad players - I'm taklking about a collective attitude at the joint which limits their performance and always has. They moved positively to release Lolo after his indiscretions but one wonders how many fair goes he got before the final one tripped him up. NC and TSS have no academic expectations of their teams that they are held to and therefore the players do not operate under the same pressures as BGS, ACGS or GT. Before I am shouted down, this comment has been generated from boys from these schools in genial discussions during representative assemblies I have been closely associated with over many years. That post should get things humming here.

Dear Monday Expert
Your post did not really "get things humming"as you expected.
Can I suggest 3 reasons for this:
1)your sagacious knowledge of schoolboy footballers going back 30 years-is unparrelled in this thread(meaning you are probably a teacher) ;
2)your irreverent comment that "but one wonders how many fair goes he got before the final one tripped him up"(about Lolo) was in extremley bad taste -in reference to a school that has been the last to embrace importing(and then only where the Cwth Govt pays 50% on an indigenous basis);and
3) your comment that"players do not operate under the same pressures as BGS, ACGS or GT"was again in poor taste and inaccurate- as everyone knows that for over a decade BBC has been in the top 5 academic shools(by results) in this State.Look at the 2011 results-which school had the highest % of OP1 to 5 of any school in Qld(hint-it is at Toowong).

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Wow- a lot of boys across all schools already contracted to NRL teams( Broncos ,Cowboys ,Storm etc).Does this mean they are all ineligible for Aussie Schoolboys 5 week tour to Britain later this year( coached by Philpotts of BBC and Rapp of Newington)?
2years ago the best player in the Qld trials by far was the BSHS halfback but they did not pick him for Qld team when they found out he was contracted to the Storm . ???and what the he'll are the QRU doing about it?

johnnymac

Bob McCowan (2)
Wow- a lot of boys across all schools already contracted to NRL teams( Broncos ,Cowboys ,Storm etc).Does this mean they are all ineligible for Aussie Schoolboys 5 week tour to Britain later this year( coached by Philpotts of BBC and Rapp of Newington)?
2years ago the best player in the Qld trials by far was the BSHS halfback but they did not pick him for Qld team when they found out he was contracted to the Storm . ???and what the he'll are the QRU doing about it?
good point guru, after reading the forum for the past few weeks i cannot beleive the number of league recruits/imports that have entered the gps schools rugby system. it was a bitter pill to swallow(prior to importing) when you had to deal with players that repeated with the sole intention of playing 1sts rather than for schooling. i feel sorry for the kids that have played rugby for the schools with the hopes of playing 1st 15 and then having their dreams smashed by a league only player that does not give a stuff about rugby nor the school. this must create a lot of friction within the school rugby?? how many imports play union after leaving gps schools?? maybe only rugby players should be allowed to be imports?

Reactions: mbw

Theplayerhater

Bob McCowan (2)
WORD HAS IT THAT TIM SIPPEL FROM THE 15's A of state high has resign his position of being scrumhalf and now has been replaced by vasili from the b team hopefully this will be his chance to show his skills at a higher level.

Groundwork

Frank Row (1)
terrace 1st XV squad absolutely dominated the state team tonigh 9 tries to 1. It is a shame that the new player HIALE cannot play 1's this year, he was devastating in the back line and will be a huge asset for the 16a's. it will be interesting to see how the back line works out but the forward pack looks fairly set in concrete in terms of competence

Status
Not open for further replies.