• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Sorry Vegas, my previous comment was not about scholarships at the younger age groups. I will post about this on the other thread.

I have seen some of the coaching and know of the time, effort and coaching resources that have gone into many teams at schools who either had poor seasons last year or have always been considered "easy beats" in the lower QLD GPS age groups.

I believe that this effort in the younger age groups has been responsible for closing the gaps or reversing the results in the 13's and 14's. When competition increases at this age level rather than gaps increase I thought was healthy for the game.

As far as I am aware of this year, there is only one school that has not put the time or enough coaching resources into the 13's or 14's and unfortunately they have been and will continue to be on the bad end of some big score blow outs. That is not good for the game or the boys playing which can then lead to trying to find the quick fix as the age group gets into yr 11 and 12.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry Vegas, my previous comment was not about scholarships at the younger age groups. I will post about this on the other thread.

I have seen some of the coaching and know of the time, effort and coaching resources that have gone into many teams at schools who either had poor seasons last year or have always been considered "easy beats" in the lower QLD GPS age groups.

I believe that this effort in the younger age groups has been responsible for closing the gaps or reversing the results in the 13's and 14's. When competition increases at this age level rather than gaps increase I thought was healthy for the game.

As far as I am aware of this year, there is only one school that has not put the time or enough coaching resources into the 13's or 14's and unfortunately they have been and will continue to be on the bad end of some big score blow outs. That is not good for the game or the boys playing which can then lead to trying to find the quick fix as the age group gets into yr 11 and 12.

Thanks DS - wholeheartedly agree - I have seen similar results. The investment in coaching and focussed co-ordination of the rugby programmes at the grass roots will have for more sustainable outcomes and successes, both on and off the field, than fly-by-night scholarship programmes. I also think it needs to start earlier than 13 or 14s - with the CIC comp coming into GPS next year, there is a real opportunity to continue sorting this nonsense out the right way. As I said, the headmasters need to collectively grow a pair and sort this out to stop the Grade 11 and 12 issues you note, as well as the broader ones that are starting to impact their schools as a result of their scholarship policies. ( While they are at it, get Rugby back to term 2 as well ! )
The other thread - unfortunately I find it a bit Sydney-centric, but take your point.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Has anybody got a Nudgee 2nds Teamlist?

1. C.Young
2. J.Pennisi
3. P.Leleisiuao (did not play)
4. A.Cook
5. C.McHugh
6. D.Ceolin
7. N.Colvin
8. S.Crichton
9. S.Milne
10. T.O'Neill
11. T.Hussey (could be promoted to Firsts next week - Magnay suspension)
12. M.Pataanga
13. J.Whenuaroa
14. B.Hayes
15. J.Hagen (serious neck injury, stretchered off)

Allblacks

Frank Row (1)
More likely you enjoyed watching the game until BSHS were in front. I thought the refereeing was fair. It was a good close game, with no quarter given by either side. Strange you didn't like the penalties as it was a penalty to BGS in the last seconds of the game that gave them victory.
It wasn't the last minute ref had told BSHS 5 min before the penalty that there was 2 min to go. Anyway BGS was at that all that counts.

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree was an entertaining game. Not much in it really. NC belief built on years of winning meant they were more composed under pressure AND yes Tuttle at 10 controlled the match better than Russell. BBC outside backs never seemed to have space created for them.
All A games plus 2nds were very competitive, with 15As and 16As crackers.

Fair summary.i thought Tuttle controlled the match. I hope Melbourne storm agents were there as Magnay outplayed Wilkins.Josh Bowen obviously playing with a left shoulder injury. Yes the 15A and 16 A matches were crackers. A level 3 ARU coach.as for under 15 Phillpotts has had them training with PhilWhite (Souths A grade) since February.Again only wings and fullback in backline are new.the best under 15 player for BBC is still injured.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Sidekick, you have got to be kidding. And I find it interesting that not one word has been said about Downlands this year, be it a bye or not. After copping a complete flogging against Nudgee in term two, they sat down and had a long hard look at what they were doing. Hence after the holidays they went down to Ipswich by a point and yesterday to Terrace on the bell by a point. Talking to a high ranked rugby official after the Ipswich game, he said they were missing two, through injury and that Downlands played smart. Again yesterday, had it not been for a send off in the last ten minutes, Downlands would probably have held on to win. Again talking to a fairly knowledgeable player whose son happened to play at flyhalf for Terrace, he conceded that they had dodged a bullet.

Downlands have a total of 750 students, 405 of which are boys, I think they are standing up pretty well considering that the other schools have that many in one grade. Yes I am a proud Downlander but if you are going to say something, get your facts straight. I am now ready for the replies..........

Well said - gee maybe you can play competitive rugby if you invest in coaching and developing the talent that you have from Day 1 !

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Sorry BGS won and that's all that matters

Anybody know how BGS 7 is.

I've heard not very good at all. That being said, scans take time so no one can be certain just yet. To give an idea of what happened...

With a few minutes to go, and down by 2, Morrey took a quick tap on the 40 meter line and dashed 6 meters (yes, the defending player was in an offiside position to boot) before being cut down by a malicious no-arms dive with the shoulder into his knee cap by BSHS 1. Isaac. Grammar got the penalty for offside, and Isaac received a yellow card for dangerous conduct.

Just as a side note, Willis McGahee in the video above tore his Anterior Cruciate Ligament, Posterior Cruciate Ligament, and Medial Collateral Ligament in his injury. Morrey's injury was not (as far as I saw) as bad as that, but it left the toughest player in the First XV screaming and in tears as he was carried off the field. What has cost State High 10 minutes in the sin bin and probably a loss might have cost Morrey his season, and maybe even a career. As far as I'm aware, a yellow card does not warrant a suspension in the GPS. If such a tackle happened in a professional game of footy or even league the judiciary would award a much harsher penalty than what State High received.

EDIT: Spoke with Morrey this afternoon, and his knee is hanging on by a thread. His injury is in fact worse than McGahee's, and he has ruptured his ACL, PCL, MCL, Meniscus, and other cartlidge in the knee. Isaac has apologised to Morrey after the game.

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
1. C.Young
2. J.Pennisi
3. P.Leleisiuao (did not play)
4. A.Cook
5. C.McHugh
6. D.Ceolin
7. N.Colvin
8. S.Crichton
9. S.Milne
10. T.O'Neill
11. T.Hussey (could be promoted to Firsts next week - Magnay suspension)
12. M.Pataanga
13. J.Whenuaroa
14. B.Hayes
15. J.Hagen (serious neck injury, stretchered off)

Paulo Leleisiuao did pay but limped off in first half with ankle injury.

FlashFlanker

Herbert Moran (7)
Digby, how do you know some much about this team? Just out of interest..

There is lots of truth to what Digby says. A little poetic licence maybe. There are new players, but from what I can glean they are a great fit with the culture at the school and the boys value their rugby and social input. The focus on coaching seems to have galvanised a pride in the school's rugby and their school. Yes there were floggings at NC yesterday and may well be going forward but the camaraderie that exists is pretty interesting.

Work in progress.

Giteau

Frank Row (1)
Churchie 1st XV vs TGS
1. Will Bailey
2. Josh Webb
3. Brodie Brusasco
4. Angus Scott-Young
5. Jeremy Gimpel
6. Liam Wright
7. Ben Hughes
8. Harley Fox
9. Harry Nucifora
10. Mack Mason
11. Aidan Dempsey
12. Nigel Tanuvasa
13. Izaia Perese
14. Hugo Doessel
15. Ben Ogilvie

WebbEllis

Ward Prentice (10)
possible season ending injury for BGS 7 P. morrey?

Morrey out for the season. ACL is stuffed. Shall probably need a reconstruction. Big loss for the men in Blue - especially their captain. Morrey has consistently had the biggest aggression on the field. Let's hope that Halliday can step up as captain.

Knockers

Ward Prentice (10)
Morrey out for the season. ACL is stuffed. Shall probably need a reconstruction. Big loss for the men in Blue - especially their captain. Morrey has consistently had the biggest aggression on the field. Let's hope that Halliday can step up as captain.
What a shame. You would hope the BSHS #1 would feel pretty bad right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.