• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
I checked anyway for you, and Nick Frisby (Ashgrove 2008) + Luke Beauchamp (Ashgrove 2011) for City are the only two AIC representatives.

haha.. Fair point and I'm on your side with that one. Just thought it'd be interesting to see the magnitude in the difference of schoolboys turned professional/semi professional athletes between GPS/AIC thats all.

Cheers.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Churchie have extended their remarkable winning streak over Nudgee College to three years in a row following a jaw-dropping 27-7 victory at Nudgee’s Ross Oval.

An all-time classic performance from Churchie’s Brisbane Bronco Under-20s centre Jayden Su’a helped seal the conversion of Ross Oval to ‘Loss Oval’ with a classy try and a hand in two others.

Nudgee looked invincible last week against preseason-favourites BBC, but were physically and mentally outgunned by a Churchie XV who themselves were left reeling after a shock loss to Toowoomba Grammar.

In a turn of events predicted by only a few, Nudgee performed as the All Blacks did in Sydney rather than in Auckland.

Nudgee College First XV coach Gerard Alexander was quick to praise Churchie’s performance, but revealed that his side had suffered a nightmare week of preparations for the important match.

Alexander said: “We had probably five or six really sick [with a boarding house flu] and we didn’t know whether they were going to play, and then we lost [Australian Schoolboys prop] Gavin Luka, who fell down the stairs before we warmed up today and did his meniscus.

“Besides that … Churchie played really well and put us under a lot of pressure.

“Their set-piece was too good for us, and we just couldn’t get enough ball, made a lot of mistakes.

“We’ve done a fair bit of analysis on their team and their patterns and we prepared as well as we could have for them, but there’s only so much you can do in preparation I suppose.

“The key is actually getting out there and executing that, but they were very good and deserved their win today,” said coach Alexander.

Players went down like flies throughout the 75-minute match, with Churchie halfback Matt Oberholzer the first to exit stage left with a lower body injury 10-minutes in.

Nudgee’s flyhalf Augustus Rangihuna and lock Dawie Verryne would join him on the sidelines later in the match.

Nudgee were quick to open the scoring, scooping up a loose ball and racing away for a converted try to centre Semisi Tupou in the first ten minutes.

Churchie returned serve when blindside flanker Henry Sharp charged down a box-kick deep within Nudgee territory moments later, winning the one-man race to ground his side’s equaliser.

Semisi Tupou was in position to intercept from kick-off, but bobbled his attempt to harmlessly knock-on with the try-line wide open.

Nudgee would live to rue their lost opportunity when Churchie’s inside backs took the defence by the scruff of the neck to increase their advantage by a try.

Flyhalf Brodie Croft spotted a mismatch in the defensive line, stepping hard off his right to break through the line before linking with Jayden Su’a outside him.

Drawing two defenders, Su’a took contact and offloaded inside for his support, leaving Croft one-on-one with the Nudgee fullback in cover.

A sharp step off the left beat the defence, thrilling the Churchie crowd and moving the score to 12-7 in the Viking’s favour.

Churchie held out Nudgee for the rest of the half by bringing the physicality in defence required to halt the grinding carrying of the home forwards.

With their attacking platform nullified, Nudgee were forced to rely on the spectacular cover-defending of their outside backs to keep Churchie’s dangerous attacking weapons in check.

Nudgee’s handling was abysmal through the match, while losing three scrum feeds against the head afforded Churchie a wealth of possession and territory.

Churchie’s forwards did their own rumbling in the second half, creating space for the backline to attack.
Jayden Su’a showed his class with a neat individual try, outrunning one defender and bouncing a second to take the scores to 22-7.

Reserve halfback Isaac Tarabay capitalised on the power game of Churchie’s forwards by scooting for a close range try on his First XV debut, moments after crunching Australian Schoolboy powerhouse lock Reece Hewat.

Hewat was at his inspirational best for his college, playing on through severe shoulder pain which left him doubled over on the pitch several times throughout the second half.

At times he seemed the only one capable of bringing down a rampaging Jayden Su’a, with the two clashing in open field every time the opposite carried, no doubt a factor in his injury.

With fulltime approaching, Hewat was deservedly the recipient of an untouched consolation try on the left wing - that is, until he knocked on in grounding the ball.

An apt conclusion to a performance Nudgee would rather forget, the sooner the better.

Man of the Match Jayden Su’a spoke of the tight bonds between Churchie’s playing group as the key difference between the two sides.

Su’a said: “All week the boys worked hard for each other, and that’s what we’re about.

“We’re out there for each other, it’s all about the team and that’s all it is.

“We’ve come off a tough loss last week against Toowoomba, so it’s good to get the chocolates for the boys.

“We’re pretty over the moon at the moment.”

With a key test against BBC approaching, Churchie will need to reproduce their defensive physicality again to meet the unique challenges posed by the Miskin St group.

Nudgee have their premiership ambitions on the line when they visit the Southport School, fresh off the bye, in round six.

Murphys Law

Allen Oxlade (6)
Really! Elvis is gone!! I will miss seeing his smiling face!

This week is a cracker with this year's outcome likely to be clear come Saturday afternoon. Taking into consideration injuries and form, I would have to go with TSS and Churchie being victorious, however stranger things have happened.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Southport School Vs Nudgee College
The mid season GF. The deafening echo from the Sharpie Stand. The smell of fresh spray tans and tattoo ink. Maybe even a whiff of Mullimbimby madness as well, you never know. Welcome to the hallowed fields of East, West, South and North Bull Pitch.
The TSS lads will be pretty confident they can stitch things up here. In fact I just rang Melbas down at Cavill Avenue and tried to book a table post game and they are all booked out for a “celebration". Mmmmm.
If TSS are honest they haven’t really put it together against quality opposition yet and when they played BBC their win was lucky at best. Nudgee had the rugby gods against them last week (doesn’t happen very often - they usually pay them off), so they will perform much better this week.
My only worry is the NC injury count and I haven’t had an update on that this week. I hope they get as many on the paddock as possible. But my head says...
TSS by 7
Churchie V BBC
The College head to East Brisbane on Saturday. I’m sure they’ll be looking forward to that smiling welcome from the confused “Shut out” directors at the front gate. It will be worth watching as they continually ask irate, hungover, western suburbs mothers in large SUVs to back up and do 5 point turns in skinny suburban streets. The lads in green will hope they aren’t shut out of the game either, as the Churchie Bandwagon (made in Europe with heated seats of course) rolls on.
The recent form guide is no help here. BBC beat TGS, NC beat BBC, TGS beat Churchie and Churchie beat NC. It’s harder to read than a Salman Rushdie novel.
That said BBC have upset Churchie on their own turf before and don’t be surprised if it happens again.
Churchie by 1
Brisbane State High V Ipswich Grammar
This is a bit like the annual prisoners vs guards match. No one really cares who wins and there’s a fair chance of a fight. Not only that the Reds in 2016 will get more people to watch them, than will front for this game and that is saying something.
Ippy have done their usual "check out early” routine, after showing some promise in trial games and earlier rounds. They probably didn’t pay their mini bar bill either!
Anyway for what it’s worth High will win this at home and there will be a salmonella outbreak from the canteen food by half time.
High by 12
Gregory Terrace V Toowoomba Grammar
Terrace are the Anna Kournikova of the competition this year - they look great, but rarely get a positive result. Toowoomba on the other hand are the real deal and without the touch up from BBC earlier in the season would be in this comp up to their Roll-your-owns.
TGS will be too strong for Terrace at "Stadium de Cashed Up Catho’s" and should run out comfortable winners. Not before Terrace run in some classy tries though.
TGS by 10

Digby

Ward Prentice (10)
Southport School Vs Nudgee College
The mid season GF. The deafening echo from the Sharpie Stand. The smell of fresh spray tans and tattoo ink. Maybe even a whiff of Mullimbimby madness as well, you never know. Welcome to the hallowed fields of East, West, South and North Bull Pitch.
The TSS lads will be pretty confident they can stitch things up here. In fact I just rang Melbas down at Cavill Avenue and tried to book a table post game and they are all booked out for a “celebration". Mmmmm.
If TSS are honest they haven’t really put it together against quality opposition yet and when they played BBC their win was lucky at best. Nudgee had the rugby gods against them last week (doesn’t happen very often - they usually pay them off), so they will perform much better this week.
My only worry is the NC injury count and I haven’t had an update on that this week. I hope they get as many on the paddock as possible. But my head says.
TSS by 7
Churchie V BBC
The College head to East Brisbane on Saturday. I’m sure they’ll be looking forward to that smiling welcome from the confused “Shut out” directors at the front gate. It will be worth watching as they continually ask irate, hungover, western suburbs mothers in large SUVs to back up and do 5 point turns in skinny suburban streets. The lads in green will hope they aren’t shut out of the game either, as the Churchie Bandwagon (made in Europe with heated seats of course) rolls on.
The recent form guide is no help here. BBC beat TGS, NC beat BBC, TGS beat Churchie and Churchie beat NC. It’s harder to read than a Salman Rushdie novel.
That said BBC have upset Churchie on their own turf before and don’t be surprised if it happens again.
Churchie by 1
Brisbane State High V Ipswich Grammar
This is a bit like the annual prisoners vs guards match. No one really cares who wins and there’s a fair chance of a fight. Not only that the Reds in 2016 will get more people to watch them, than will front for this game and that is saying something.
Ippy have done their usual "check out early” routine, after showing some promise in trial games and earlier rounds. They probably didn’t pay their mini bar bill either!
Anyway for what it’s worth High will win this at home and there will be a salmonella outbreak from the canteen food by half time.
High by 12
Gregory Terrace V Toowoomba Grammar
Terrace are the Anna Kournikova of the competition this year - they look great, but rarely get a positive result. Toowoomba on the other hand are the real deal and without the touch up from BBC earlier in the season would be in this comp up to their Roll-your-owns.
TGS will be too strong for Terrace at "Stadium de Cashed Up Catho’s" and should run out comfortable winners. Not before Terrace run in some classy tries though.
TGS by 10

congrats
very funny - maybe your best bet.You have obviously been involved in the carpark madness at Churchie as well .

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
haha.. Fair point and I'm on your side with that one. Just thought it'd be interesting to see the magnitude in the difference of schoolboys turned professional/semi professional athletes between GPS/AIC thats all.

Cheers.
GPS is a semi professional set up as it is. Apart from the boys loyal to their schools who see the bigger picture of what school actually is, all the talent is poached up by the GPS schools. Pretty simple really.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Granted some are poached (a lot of them being league players) but there are a few home grown players that have reached the top with no scholarships or coaxing in the GPS system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Actually quite an interesting question re: rugby league players or rugby league clubs paying for scholarships in GPS schools.

It's great for the kids, good for the school perhaps & the opposition (having played these guys). But the real question is where is the benefit for rugby long term? And Churchie has successfully exploited this market. Good for Churchie maybe, but what about rugby?

And the Su'a fans. I think he is a competent rugby player, however all his moves come on the back of Croft who positions him well. He seems to score a lot of his try's from breaks other have made rather then him breaking the line himself and scoring. I prefer the #12's to be able to break the line themselves rather than be "Johnny's joggin on the spot".

In defence he's ok. Has he's moments like all of them, so competent, not spectacular. Wait and see how he goes against the BBC & TSS guys. The Nudgee backline had a poor day last week and didn't really get the momentum required to test him. However upon reviewing the footage there were more breaks (by NC) than I thought. So there is room against the Churchie backline to score.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Now that's an interesting assessment. ACGS must have just had a lucky day then.

You really do think that's objective and balanced? Like ACGS really played little part in gaining a 20 point win over NC at their famous home fortress, that happening so often of course? The same NC team that Sage and others here were hailing from just one week before.

What would you estimate ACGS's territory and possession %-es for the 70 mins to be? Did they convincingly get across the gain line often?

Do "worst performances", knock ons, lost line outs, only arise from a top team like the invincible NC having an 'off day', thus only rarely because the opposition successfully applied relentless pressure and better skills?
RedsHappy, Monday at 7:25 PM Report

Well RedHappy, I think just about everything went there way. Couldn't of been more perfect for them. That's a little luck isn't it? I think Churchie was the better team on the day, but they had the rub of the "green": a yellow card in the first 8 minutes (very harsh), Gavin Luka, #5 & #10 off, a conversion given when the ball was clearly 2 metres outside the posts. Your are a greedy man if you want more than that.

NC did have their opportunities and on two occasions had scoring opportunities where normally they should have scored untouched, but that didn't happen. Two tries would have probably changed the momentum a wee bit. Possessions btw were 69-65 in favour of NC.

On your "worst performance" rant, well NC had the Australian Schoolboys prop out 20 minuted before the match, they had a reserve second rower whom probably weighed 75 kg and the 6-7 with the flu? Not an excuse but reality. You seem to think NC is invincible....no schoolboy team is invincible. And yes I think that it's a fair comment that NC had a bad day. I don't think the skill levels in general were on show at their full capacity as with many of these games (except possible the BBC v TSS & ACGS v TGS). So RedHappy need to focus on the facts a little more rather than an emotional rant on your new found moral high ground.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
"digest it, mull over it, and that would have to be one of the lamest performances from a Nudgee 1st XV in a very, very long time. To show my age their scrum had more reverse gears than an Egytian Tank,surely it's got to be a record number of tight heads by Churchie, I knew NC scrum relied on Gavin Luca but wow." Old School.

To be honest Old School, I've watched the game twice now and looked at the all the different analysis, and did you think that at half time would you have put the house on the game at 12-7?? Your a braver man than I if you did? The game was in the balance at the half even though Churchie had the better of it. I have seen worse performances by NC try 2013 NC v ACGS for instance? I'm sure there are other times as well. Anyway a bit of a negative thing to say given the circumstances. I don't think it was lame I just think it was disappointing; I think NC tried but just didn't have the cattle on the field (and I'm not talking about just 4-5 players, but quite a few in key positions).

Yes it's amazing that any schoolboy team would miss someone like Gavin Luka! Why would they? Oh course Gavin was missed; Dur! The young man who came on tried his best but is probably a little green for that level at the moment. You must remember that 2 of the tight heads were kick throughs by the NC hooker! It wasn't a good scummaging performance by NC that's for sure, but it there was only 6 times out of 22 scrums that they were going backwards and by less than 2 metres. Churchie arguably have the heaviest and best technique scrum pack in the GPS this year; so when your giving about 10kg/player away not even technique or courage or cunning can help you. So what's new?

Status
Not open for further replies.