• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Yep, this BBC team has a spirit (if not as much talent) that I haven't seen in the other Toowong teams of recent years. The 13 is a rare talent.

I guess their win had had plenty of press and probably not as big a 'shock' as the other two for mine - I for one thought/think this is NC's weakest team in quite e a few years - saw nothing to change to my mind on Saturday.

It will be interesting to see how GT go against Nudgee then, they don't seem to have the depth of Nudgee based on the underwhelming performance of their 2nds in case injuries to the firsts kick in.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Aus Schoolboys to tour the Kiwis and Samoa just got announced. QLD boys in the side;

GT
Will Eadie (QLD 1)
Isaac Lucas (QLD 1)
Harry Wilson (QLD 2)

BSHS
Lloyd Gorman (QLD 1)

BBC
Sean Farrell (QLD 1)

TGS
Matt Whilshire (QLD 1)

BGS
Fraser McReight (QLD 1)

Non GPS
Laurence Tominiko
Joshua Vuta
Justin Sikimeti

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
It will be interesting to see how GT go against Nudgee then, they don't seem to have the depth of Nudgee based on the underwhelming performance of their 2nds in case injuries to the firsts kick in.

I think undeniably though the absolute best case scenario would be a GT vs Nudgee 'Grand Final' in the final round. That would truly be one for the ages.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I think undeniably though the absolute best case scenario would be a GT vs Nudgee 'Grand Final' in the final round. That would truly be one for the ages.

Happened in 2012 with Grammar and Nudgee at Ross Oval in the final round.

Probably about 8,000 people there in total and a lot of parochial support. Some even flew in from overseas. I remember the Grammar supporters were looking into the sun and had no shade. Winning was very refreshing though.

And from my perspective, yes, it was one for the ages.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Australian Schools Barbarians side to play Tonga

TSS
Angus Blyth

TGS
Matthew Faessler

BSHS
Jordan Petaia

ACGS
Henry Sharp
Tristan Stanghorn

BBC
Ben Simpson

Other
Tate McDermott (Sunshine Coast Grammar)

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
BSHS v BBC this weekend

TGS v GT and NC v TSS next weekend

BBC v GT and NC v BSHS the weekend after

GT v NC and BSHS v TSS in the final round

are the premiership deciders

Teams listed first are at home and teams in bold are who I have for the win - assuming injuries don't completely decimate the contenders - the contenders being BSHS, TSS , BBC, NC and GT. In that order.

I reckon the premiership will be decided by the 8th round - the last round will be about whether its shared or outright

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Talk about damning with faint praise BAG !

And that's a nice view of your backhand in the delivery of the compliment too m'man

Maybe but I would say the 'Spirit' in this BBC team may take it further than all the hyped 'Talent' of the previous 3 or 4 teams.

I think it has been well documented that while the NC XV is a good side it lacks the talent and size we are used to seeing in B&W Butcher stripes - I'll say it now, while not impossible to think they win one of the games, I really don't see them beating BSHS, TSS or GT.

Clayman

Frank Row (1)
Wasn't it you that kept referring to the 1st's and the A teams Clayman?

No 'Bear' you got it wrong again !
If you review I had only commented on the opens in general, never on the A teams, just opens (being the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and yes the 6ths) some dedicated Schools should be congratulated!
and
also
BSHS supporters like yourself should be humble and acknowledge that some schools go above & beyond to their credit fielding under ages in some cases down to E's & F'S . Schools like TGS travel down to Brisbane on weekly occasions and play the teams like NC, Churchie, GT & TSS filling in for your lack of team. Great stuff as they have the lads engaged in sport. I think even you would say that's a good effort!! The fact that those schools on regular occasions facilitate & encourage the boys to travel to Tennyson or Nudgee from Toowoomba even when the are having home games is commendable. Nudgee & GT. also do that I think. Your the one who needs to get a real perspective and stop the negative pot shots!
I think my earlier comment on TSS being "strongest by a margin in the opens" was an opinion only and it certainly was on display last Saturday with a dominating result in the open age groups with them laying on 232 to 7 across the opens.
They also have every team on top off the ladder in the open division I think!
Comment
The 1st rugby is great again this year! I'm glad no one side is dominating as was the case the previous two years, its really really tight and a number of sides can be on top. It's fair to say that it appears the bounce of the ball is the difference 50- 60 % of the games. look forward to seeing how the season ends up!
We all need to acknowledge rugby and all the boys are the winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
BSHS v BBC this weekend

TGS v GT and NC v TSS next weekend

BBC v GT the weekend after

GT v NC and BSHS v TSS in the final round

are the premiership deciders

Teams listed first are at home and teams in bold are who I have for the win - assuming injuries don't completely decimate the contenders - the contenders being BSHS, TSS , BBC, NC and GT. In that order.

I reckon the premiership will be decided by the 8th round - the last round will be about whether its shared or outright

I think you forgot NC V BSHS???

Also your Green eyes are showing - BBC 's dream ends this weekend i am afraid, although I will be hoping/praying for the BBC 'upset'.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Len Ikitau BBC not selected??, he has put his hand up through this GPS and what strikes me other than his attacking game is his timing on defense. Puts his body on the line! He would be my first pick up against NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)

Also your Green eyes are showing - BBC 's dream ends this weekend i am afraid, although I will be hoping/praying for the BBC 'upset'.

Not green BAG - I have a rose'ish hue in the lens of my glasses

Only a faint hue mind you ....,,a mere suggestion ...,given that I had High and TSS 1 and 2

Thank you for your warm wishes but save your prayers for us and direct them instead when your team leaves Middle Earth the week after for Mt Doom

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)

I agree-2 Aussie Reps and neither playing.(their defence will be missed). Lineout & scrum wobbles-lady luck only takes you so far.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree-2 Aussie Reps and neither playing.(their defence will be missed). Lineout & scrum wobbles-lady luck only takes you so far.

Yep, I have BSHS, TSS and GT out in front of BBC and NC, but live in hope BBC can take out BSHS and NC can take care of TSS and/or BSHS, leaving GT to look after its own destiny in rounds 8 and 9.

Something tells me people are underestimating IGS as well, based solely on GT giving them a touch up, but a 2 point loss to TSS, a 5 point loss to NC and win over BSHS is better form than a few others boast at this point - the R&W might just prove a very big a hurdle for BBC.

ACGS aren't without a hope of causing an upset over one of the contenders before it is all over as well. Who might it be, NC??

GT's trip to the 'ba is not without serious risk, giving TGS one last hope of salvaging something from the 2016 season.

What a great comp - very even at the moment.

What a round, round 9 could potentially be with BSHS V TSS, GT V NC.

WaltBrisney

Peter Burge (5)
Ok, so here's the goss from the NC grapevine.
NC coaches refuse to utilise their "bench",which they wont because this may question their selections (their egos seem to trip them up!). Unlike BBC coach (very smart), to provide that impact in the last 20-30 minutes of the game. For other teams watching, that's all NC have...unless they use the bench, there is only so much that their 9. 10, 12, 13 and prop can do to carry this team.
IF NC were to use their bench the outcome of last weeks and yesterdays game may have had a completely different ending.

The question of the bench is an interesting one. GPS rules state a player who comes on as a reserve for the 1st XV must have played at least half a game in the 16A or 2nd XV. It is permissible under the laws to play a boy in the first half of seconds then rest him to come on as an impact player in second half of the 1st XV. Not many GPS 1st XV coaches seem to employ this tactic. Is it an unwritten agreement that they don't?

Sean McCain

Stan Wickham (3)
Round 6 Predictions

NC def ACGS - easy game for Nudgee should win by at least 25.

BSHS def BBC - game of the round, could go either way, BSHS might want it more in the end.

BGS def GT - easy game for the boys in blue, GT has gotten lucky so far and will have their asses handed to them by BGS. Number 10 and 14 seem to be all talk.

IGS def TGS - extremely close game, TGS having being unlucky so far and IGS showing a strong performance against State High should be a good game.

I

Ippy 15As

Borger was electric off the bench. Reminds me of a young Sean McMahon - strong defense and hard runs. Really great work ethic. Things are looking up for BGS.

Quite right, I thought Jhonny shaw has the best lineouts in the comp

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I'm taking Gregory Terrace to beat BGS by 45. The big screen replays won't be pretty for the Grammar boys at Terrace.

Nudgee should beat Churchie in a canter, but only by 20 points. They haven't shown huge attacking firepower yet, and I don't think they'll show it against Churchie. 30-8 sounds about right.

Now on to the exciting games.

Toowoomba should get it done against Ipswich, but by the skin of their teeth. It sounds like Toowoomba go through patches of exceptional play, tempered by poor, uncohesive play. I think their destiny is a mid table finish, and that will begin to unfold with a 3-pt win over IGS. Edit: Which, by the way, I would consider an upset.

Game of the Round: BSHS to come back hard against BBC. BSHS' back three were exceptional against Ipswich in the second half, while the tight five played very well also. Given BBC's struggles up front, BSHS should win this match by 6-10 points, Ikitau be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.