• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend of the 80's

Bob McCowan (2)
Ok - spent morning running the "Whole of School" table after round 8.

Even with Terrace only fielding a 15A's they still stay at the top of the table, big weekend at Tennyson next weekend with one of the se school taking out the fictional "Whole of School" title as well as the St Josephs Cup (winner of most games between GT and NC on the day 1stXV to 11D's) plus a possible share premiership if TSS get up (IMO a tough ask away from home).

Anyway "Whole of School" points table is:
1. GT 162.5
2. NC 154.0
3. BBC 145.0
4. TGS 114.5
5. TSS 110.5
6. BSHS 100.5
7. IGS 99.0
8. ACGS 96.5
9. BGS 52.5

Till next week.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
To single out a single school for 'scholarships' is absolutely ridiculous. Today every single school offers these opportunities to young men. Terrace is only beginning to follow the leads of the other schools which have come before them and this years first XV would have at a maximum two boys in that category.

To those who believe BSHS don't also offer free tuition they do offer merit entries and allow this to strengthen their rugby program. It is clear to see every year like every other school.

Let's focus on the quality of rugby and less upon how each player is ending up at which school.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wow. let's forget about the game plan and FB, but my video footage of the game would probably suggest that the opposite of everything you said is true. So I'm wondering if you were bored and had the inclining for a spot of fly fishing.
My mistake!! Cross game conversation... I thought we were talking about the 14a game!

Slimjim1966

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gee its a funny old tournament when BSHS (1st) suffer a loss to IGS (6th) who lose to BGS (9th) on Saturday. Congrats to the BGS lads, very easy option to just stick your heads in the sands.

True, and although the end score did not reflect it, BGS took it to BSHS a few weeks ago and were in the competition for a good part of the game. Good turn around by the team and coaching staff after coming off the back of two 50+ losses

Taipan

Chris McKivat (8)
Gee its a funny old tournament when BSHS (1st) suffer a loss to IGS (6th) who lose to BGS (9th) on Saturday. Congrats to the BGS lads, very easy option to just stick your heads in the sands.
Competition is so close that any school can beat favourites. It depends on how team plays on the matchday and who referees game :cool: .

Sent from my SM-G920I

bear

Herbert Moran (7)
Just a couple of things I'm curious about.
I was at the BSHS V NUDGEE game yesterday. Fantastic game and congratulations to State High. Well deserved.
Go back 1 week ago. TSS kick off. The nudgee boy jumps in the air and catches it while his legs are taken from under him. Ref blows it up and only a penalty is given. Yesterday the same thing happened but this time Nudgee do it to State High. Ref blows it up and sin bins the player at what was a crucial time. Where is the consistency. Quick line out, don't 2 feet have to be over the sideline. Right next to the touchie, and please someone explain to me what the outcome of any foul play is. Listen to the touchie after the final try. I understand he said it may not have had any effect on the try, but isn't foul play, foul play. Big games need quality refs. Not kids! Happy for State High. And lastly much respect to Nudgee in the way they handled there loss. Well done to State high for staying humble with there win, BUT to the 1 or 3 state high parents that came on the field with there horns and were walking between the Nudgee boys blowing it. Disgusting I say. You ruined the day. It will be very easy to name and shame you but I will not lower myself to your standards. You were asked to hop of the field and you continued to walk around blowing your horn and sticking your finger up. Disgusting women you are. Well done state high, but ruined by those supporters.
Let's look at the incident. From kick off the State high forward was in the air, arms extended hands going for ball. The churchie player tackled his ankles with the state high player landing on his head. This is a send off offence. The referee was left with no choice but to at least sin bin the player. Really, is this what you are complaining about. You didn't mention that the referee had a get square in the second half by sending a state high player off for being offside. If you bothered to listen to the touchie regarding the hold up for the last try it was about a churchie player elbowing the try scoring winger in the head. The ref should have awarded a penalty try but chose not to. Coming on this forum complaining about - as you put it- child referees - really just makes you sound like a loser.
It was a great flowing game, refereed well, and both teams had opportunities to win it. Why don't you leave it at that.
And by saying anywhere from one or three ?? (Well was it one or three, can you make your mind up) state high parents that walked into the field after the game ruined your day?? Really, they ruined your day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butcher stripe

Bob McCowan (2)
Let's look at the incident. From kick off the State high forward was in the air, arms extended hands going for ball. The churchie player tackled his ankles with the state high player landing on his head. This is a send off offence. The referee was left with no choice but to at least sin bin the player. Really, is this what you are complaining about. You didn't mention that the referee had a get square in the second half by sending a state high player off for being offside. If you bothered to listen to the touchie regarding the hold up for the last try it was about a churchie player elbowing the try scoring winger in the head. The ref should have awarded a penalty try but chose not to. Coming on this forum complaining about - as you put it- child referees - really just makes you sound like a loser.
It was a great flowing game, refereed well, and both teams had opportunities to win it. Why don't you leave it at that.
And by saying anywhere from one or three ?? (Well was it one or three, can you make your mind up) state high parents that walked into the field after the game ruined your day?? Really, they ruined your day?

Firstly, It was NC not Churchie for straters
Second the ref was sub standard and was not ready for such a crucial game.
Thirdly, I have heard a number of examples of poor parent behaviour from BSHS parents yesterday. What happened after the firsts game yesterday was embarrassing for the BSHS rugby community and they should be ashamed

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Nudgee lost Taipan - all they had to do was win their own final lineout throw and not give away so many penalties. Exactly the same went for BBC against BSHS except yesterday ref kept BSHS on side.

Listen to audio between ref and touchie.
What is your definition of "Foul play". NC player was held back by BSHS player and therefore could not tackle the try scorer.

Foul Play law 10.1(c)
Blocking the tackler. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from tackling a ball carrier.​

After listening to touchie, ref decided to disregard touchie report and award a try. Wasted a valuable two minutes in the process.

Agree, the final lineout was atrocious.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
By reading your comment, I tend to think you are the parent. There are no sore losers here, my son actually does go to State High. I have one at both schools.
What I and my family witnessed yesterday was 30 boys slogging out, putting there bodies on the line and playing for there respective schools. What ruined it was the disgusting display of patent showmenship that was not needed. You are within your rights to cheer and support but to ignore the request of the school and continue on with your antics. Shame on you and I hope state high will deal with you. Name and shame. We don't need supporters like you in the game. Hypocrite I say.
Well done again BSHS. Well deserved!

William Wallace

Herbert Moran (7)
Agh WW you belter - did you not predict GT to win the premiership

BBC changed over 7 players including entire front row - it's good to have depth.

Over 10 knock ons mate indicates a sloppy game in my view but it's probably not by what you have witnessed this year.

I guess you could say "it was someone's premiership", over that is!!!

Bugalugs

Frank Row (1)
Just a couple of things I'm curious about.
I was at the BSHS V NUDGEE game yesterday. Fantastic game and congratulations to State High. Well deserved.
Go back 1 week ago. TSS kick off. The nudgee boy jumps in the air and catches it while his legs are taken from under him. Ref blows it up and only a penalty is given. Yesterday the same thing happened but this time Nudgee do it to State High. Ref blows it up and sin bins the player at what was a crucial time. Where is the consistency. Quick line out, don't 2 feet have to be over the sideline. Right next to the touchie, and please someone explain to me what the outcome of any foul play is. Listen to the touchie after the final try. I understand he said it may not have had any effect on the try, but isn't foul play, foul play. Big games need quality refs. Not kids! Happy for State High. And lastly much respect to Nudgee in the way they handled there loss. Well done to State high for staying humble with there win, BUT to the 1 or 3 state high parents that came on the field with there horns and were walking between the Nudgee boys blowing it. Disgusting I say. You ruined the day. It will be very easy to name and shame you but I will not lower myself to your standards. You were asked to hop of the field and you continued to walk around blowing your horn and sticking your finger up. Disgusting women you are. Well done state high, but ruined by those supporters.

Agree with your comments particularly in relation the the "lady" with the horn. She was a disgrace. The lack of action by the State High school staff as she paraded up and down the sideline during the game and then carried on after the game does not reflect well on the staff or the school. Touch judges seem to forget they have a roll to play. It is hard to see how all three, Ref and linesmen, missed the NC 13 being taken out without the ball. The linesman who called the elbow at the end got it right but the referee's question and reasoning was wrong. It was not relevant whether it affected the try. The question should have been "was it an infringement which warranted a penalty". The linesman had called it and the referee who did not see the incident should have backed the linesman.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Credit to GT 1stxv coaches . That was probably the smallest and best drilled forward pack I have seen all year. I dont think they lost a throw on their own lineout.
Luck with injuries plays a big part though. GT and BSHS 2nds are near the bottom but they have have had a pretty small number of injuries so lack of depth has not hurt them .
ACGS have had a great run with injuries in 2014/5 until this year which has been a shocker for them.

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agree with your comments particularly in relation the the "lady" with the horn. She was a disgrace. The lack of action by the State High school staff as she paraded up and down the sideline during the game and then carried on after the game does not reflect well on the staff or the school. Touch judges seem to forget they have a roll to play. It is hard to see how all three, Ref and linesmen, missed the NC 13 being taken out without the ball. The linesman who called the elbow at the end got it right but the referee's question and reasoning was wrong. It was not relevant whether it affected the try. The question should have been "was it an infringement which warranted a penalty". The linesman had called it and the referee who did not see the incident should have backed the linesman.

Without getting into the decision itself, it's not correct that foul play of any kind automatically overrules a try. Obstruction for instance may not result in a try being overturned if the referee believes that it did not affect the game and did not put player safety at risk. The referee is allowed to make that call. So the question should be, did the reported foul play affect the try being scored and did it put player safety at risk? Was it play you could reasonably let go? I've seen quite a few acts of really quite innocuous foul play like jersey pulling, etc, that didn't affect play and wasn't allowed to. It's a fine line however, a very fine line.

On the decision itself, you can skip to about 1h23m here and watch it:

referee made the right call imho.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
I can tell you it is currently 3 and Had to be approved under the "Headmasters agreement".
you have to get approval if you switch from one GPS school under any form of bursary/ scholarship or you start after term 1 grade 11.
Here though , like the Keebra Park boy who played for Churchie 2014 , they are "full fee paying" !! Does not matter who pays though !

Why do you guys continue to talk this up like GPS depends on this age group. They r under 14, and if the said players were "so good" they would be in the first cxv. But alias they r not. Keep perspective.

On another point: R either of u guys headmasters of either school???? If not stop talking garbage.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Without getting into the decision itself, it's not correct that foul play of any kind automatically overrules a try. Obstruction for instance may not result in a try being overturned if the referee believes that it did not affect the game and did not put player safety at risk. The referee is allowed to make that call. So the question should be, did the reported foul play affect the try being scored and did it put player safety at risk? Was it play you could reasonably let go? I've seen quite a few acts of really quite innocuous foul play like jersey pulling, etc, that didn't affect play and wasn't allowed to. It's a fine line however, a very fine line.

On the decision itself, you can skip to about 1h23m here and watch it:

referee made the right call imho.

Agree with this 100%. I have talked to some parents from the blue and white since the game and they were certain they got stitched up. But having watched this replay with the ref voice over, it looks to be the right calls, particularly in second half as the game's intensity increased.

BSHS flanker was yellow carded for repeat infringements with about 12 mins to go. NC also were warned and I thought very lucky not to have two repeat offenders at the breakdown yellow carded.

Both sides threw everything they had in that game and was a great spectacle.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

I read this, the numbers game seems to be the point, less than 40% of kids go to a private school and the rugby nurseries make a small portion of these. Put this against really strong League club footy participation with kids from a really diverse background.

Many a year a go, I was playing U15's at a private school, the local state school came by one afternoon and put a real cricket score on us. Leaguies just playing union for kicks to get out of classes for the afternoon.

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)

Accurate article. The outdated system of a small number of private schools providing our Wallabies has won 2 world cups and has in the past filled the trophy cabinet. Just isn't at the moment. Future wallabies will still come from the same private school production line though.

Thank God for scholarships eh? In particular offering a first class pathway for the ever increasing pool of PI talent in OZ who might be playing mungo or park footy.

Extraordinary that such a narrow player development base could provide a successful international team at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.