• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owen Gary

Frank Row (1)
It's symptomatic of an ongoing trend in the concentration of top end talent and then the lack of consistent depth all the way through.

This is true in GPS Rugby across all "A" age groups in the Top 3 teams v the Rest

Then the best AIC team ( MCA ) providing clear daylight over other AIC Teams ( although the 10A SLC is the equal or better of MCA 10A and same same with the Villa and MCA 9A's ) These teams from Opens down to 13/14's probably battle it out for the last 2 or 3 spots (on a comparative basis) against GPS Teams in that age group in these spots

But then the top end of GPS Teams whip the bottom third of the table ( and the top of AIC ) but 50 to 60 points ++

Why ?

More concentration of talent is why .

Talent down the bottom end is there but its thinner than a Champion Ruby rollie and it's not as impactful enough on its own to make a difference

I say Old boy cracking summation of all the good and bad, dark and light, ying and yang et all of school boy rugby. Smashing Job.

Wonderful to see those jolly young men from the GPS System teaching the scummy middle classes a thing or to about Rugger. Pass the pink Gin and toast all things GPS.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I say Old boy cracking summation of all the good and bad, dark and light, ying and yang et all of school boy rugby. Smashing Job.

Wonderful to see those jolly young men from the GPS System teaching the scummy middle classes a thing or to about Rugger. Pass the pink Gin and toast all things GPS.

You obviously have not been to IGS & BSHS lately.
More like stratco sheds & wire fences.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
I am fairly certain that Sunnybank put some sponsorship dollars into the trials last week. There are some real costs involved. And the quid pro quo would be the final training session and jersey presentations at the club.

I think all the other clubs think that is equitable. Nice of the QRU to be impartial. Not unexpected.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fullas,
Enough with the sarcasm and cynicism. Its not all doom and gloom. As one national netball coach said to parents and passionate friends and supporters of the U/16's.
"My name is *7%6, I am the coach and you are parents. Be good parents and Il do my best to improve these girls netball-skills".
So stop the pickering and contribute with some valueable "rugby" insights worthwhile.
At this stage/level, its not your school or association, its our State vs NSW & others... so go Qlders!!

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Happyman do you have a problem with sunnybank

No Mate

Sunnybank are really well run club and as far as most things are concerned a benchmark for others. I do have an issue with some of their practices as I believe that they are not in the best interests of the code.

If you take this as an example would you be happy for a training session to be at Brothers or GPS as an example.

But overall pretty good people.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)

Middle ?

Bit ambitious isnt Henry ?

Countdown to :

"The squalor-ship system in GPS might be warped but it's not yet broken. Give it 2-3 years to see the real damage!

Well I guess that's 2 years from now on your time clock hey Henry ?

My Son is a reserve

Frank Row (1)
Fullas,
Enough with the sarcasm and cynicism. Its not all doom and gloom. As one national netball coach said to parents and passionate friends and supporters of the U/16's.
"My name is *7%6, I am the coach and you are parents. Be good parents and Il do my best to improve these girls netball-skills".
So stop the pickering and contribute with some valueable "rugby" insights worthwhile.
At this stage/level, its not your school or association, its our State vs NSW & others. so go Qlders!!

Well said

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Final Trial Matches

BBC v TGS

That will be interesting.If I understand the makeup of Qld teams -BBC will be playing 7 of the 2nds in the forward pack as rest will be away and 1 injured-plus the number 10.

Also why is everyone saying IGS have no chance?They certainly have a lot(9) in various rep teams.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Gungenia, correct IGS are well spread across the representative scene this year, however comments and predictions regarding success in the GPS this year can be dismissed. With possibly the biggest and strongest forward pack in the competition, IGS will quickly burn out in matches, and throughout the entirety of the season. Alongside a lack of talent in the backline, not including recent star performer Clyde Rapilla, IGS will struggle to compete with the real threats in the competition. the three horse race. between Nudgee, TSS and Terrace.

On their Trial form I cannot see GT getting any where near TSS or NC.A few rumblings at Ballymore last week about how many forwards TSS held back from the trials .

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
GT's cohesion and team performance was hindered during the trails by small mishaps in defence . You're a fool to ride any team off this early, especially a Gregory Terrace team boosting the likes of Australian Schoolboy lock Harry Wilson, and multiple Queensland representatives spread across the starting 15.

Although Nudgee have 6 players competing next week in Sydney at the Australian Schoolboy trails, it has been fiercely debated that a few of these men were picked on pure reputation. An experienced forward pack with plenty of muscle will improve the NC outfit, however a young and inexperienced backline will struggle to convert opportunities into points, especially when the pressure i
Round 1 - Ross Oval - The pressure will be on, and Nudgee will be favourites. With such anticipation and expectation of this rather average outfit, Nudgee will have to do plenty to stop an underdog like GT First XV, again proving that in fact the competition will not be decided by NC nor TSS.

Wow
Where do I join the crusade ?As Socrates said " a passionate man must sometimes take off the blindfold "
I thought Wilson was a little quiet in the trials.
I watched the GT 16 A the other day - looked like a Sunnybank reunion.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Write off IGS and BBC at your peril.

All it takes in First XV Rugby is an excellent flyhalf to win.

Of course any team can win with a decent flyhalf and stars around the park, but a true superstar at #10 can pull a struggling team up by their bootstraps.

Combine IGS' excellent forward pack with Cooper Whiteside with some strike weapons in Viliami Lea and a defensive powerhouse like Clyde Rapilla and they will be gunning for a Premiership.

Likewise BBC under the guidance of Carter Gordon. These two teams will be among the toughest to beat.

GT, full of handy players, will miss the out and out class of Lucas and Eadie. Without those two you won't see Terrace scale the same heights of 2016.

Nudgee are always excellent but for a second straight year seem to lack the out and out star power they've had every year since 2007.

I don't think we saw the best of TSS at the GPS Trials, and not for the first time. Rumours of holding back fit players to preserve them for the regular season have started flying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Wow
Where do I join the crusade ?As Socrates said " a passionate man must sometimes take off the blindfold "
I thought Wilson was a little quiet in the trials.
I watched the GT 16 A the other day - looked like a Sunnybank reunion.
How many U16's do you think will start in the Nudgee First XV this year BW ?

How many do you reckon will start in Terrace's team ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Finally Blue and White ....

1. How many 18 year olds on Nudgee's team ?

2. Who do you reckon would be considered the Top 3 players

What about TSS ? ( same question applying )

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
On the back of TheKing's comments above, my initial feelings coming into the GPS competition this year was that it was going to be a very close competition with any teams being able to win on the day. While there is one more round of school trials to go before the season kicks off, from what I have seen in a couple of inter school and Qld Schoolboy trials, I think the teams are starting to form into three groups for Final Ladder position, with top 3, middle 3 and bottom 3. Here is my order for the Final Ladder, my reasons and some of the critical games to look out for.

1. BBC – Do they dare to dream? I am a believer that you have to win the game of rugby up front and then the backs finish it off. And this year I believe the BBC team have a set of forwards a rung above the others. Probably the best front row and back row in the comp and with Hosea anchoring the locks, what is there not to like? While they have a young and possibly inexperienced backline (but a dynamic winger), Carter Gordon’s boot is going to sink a few contenders. He looks like he can kick a goal from anywhere. I believe you will see BBC play for position, kicking into opposition territory, force the mistake through the forwards and take the points every time. Critical matches – Round 4 V TSS (at Miskin St), Round 6 v NC (at Ross Oval)

2. Nudgee – This team absolutely dominated this age group when they were younger. Some of the earlier stars have come back to the pack, but they still have talent all over the park and as a team are relentless. I think, like last year, their tight five is lacking what it takes to win a premiership and they will struggle in some of the set piece play. However, they also have talent galore in their backrow which may make up some ground, especially if they flood the opposition breakdowns and disrupt the flow of ball. Possibly lacking a dominant rugby flyhalf to direct the play and who may struggle if on backfoot from set pieces, but Hunt at halfback should be able to offset. However, opposition kicking the ball to the back three do so at your peril. Probably the best team at counter attack. Critical matches – Round 1 v GT (at Ross Oval – biggest game of the year with spectators and pressure to win), Round 6 v BBC (at Ross Oval), Round 8 v TSS (at Southport)

3. TSS – Initially my favourites to win the First XV premiership this year. However, on closer examination, their forward pack is one of the youngest and inexperienced that TSS have fielded in years with possibly only one 18 year old (Siggs). Their backline is all class with a lot of experience and talent and being directed by Parata, the best in the business this year. But if their forwards cannot match up for the full 70 minutes, the backline is going to be under a lot of pressure to come up with the plays to succeed. Last year I believe that their First XV underperformed, just winning matches that they should have romped in and losing the critical matches in the dying minutes of the game. I am yet to hear of anything changed in coaching structures that would reverse this. Critical matches – Round 4 v BBC (at Miskin St), Round 8 v NC (at Southport)

4. IGS – For a team with so many representative players, I can only see underperformance. Too much one off and selfish play from what I have seen and inexplicably do not seem to have the fitness that this comp demands. They will trouble many of the top teams and if they get some early tries and a handy lead should be able to close the games out with Whiteside directing play. However, if the opposition get early points I can see too many players going missing when needed and the team will struggle to come back. Critical match – Round 1 v BBC (at Miskin St – will set the tone for their season)

5. GT – Always been thereabouts in this age group over the years but never delivered. While having the best lock combination in the comp with Wilson and Gassman and a good backrow, they will have a very inexperienced front row and will struggle in the scrums and setting the platform for phaseball. Like Nudgee, without a dominant flyhalf, an extremely good attacking backline will probably be underutilised and unless on the front foot like the previous year, reliance on the miracle pass from Wilson will more than likely come unstuck than succeed. Porous backline defense is also a concern. Critical match – Round 1 v NC (at Ross Oval – the Blue and White are looking for revenge for the last round defeat last year and for their spectators made to endure it standing in the rain).

6. BSHS – Will have one of the best front rows in the comp. I thought Alo-Emile was a key player in High’s premiership last year. But then High lacks the grunt compared to other teams through the rest of the forward pack. They will win more tight heads than any other team this year, but will struggle in the lineouts and loose play. They will have an advantage with Crone providing stability for the backline, but I have a question around how much good ball they will be getting off the lineouts and during broken play to make an impact. Critical match – Round 1 v TSS (at Southport – like NC with GT, TSS will be out for revenge for their last round defeat and denial of a premiership last year).

Final Three (in alphabetical order only)

ACGS – like BGS post 2012, from the penthouse to the outhouse in just one season last year. And like BGS over the last five seasons, will struggle to get themselves off the bottom of the table. Sometimes that is the price paid when you focus only on the top, particularly with recruitment and then later have to rely on the younger age groups, where little investment has been made and the recruitment well is drier than ever before, to come through. Unfortunately, through no fault of their own, these boys have been set up for failure. If they play as a team and believe in themselves this team can cause a few upsets. Over the years they have beaten teams that I have ranked above them today, but they will have to do it together rather than rely on brilliance of one or two.

BGS – I thought Eadie (GT 2015-16) was one of the most exciting back three players I had seen at this level but Tabuai-Fidow eclipsed that with his play in the Schoolboy trials last week. Any opposition player that kicks the ball away to BGS this season should have their feet chopped off for the stupidity of their actions. Tabuai-Fidow will most likely return the ball and put five points on the board. BGS have more than a couple of talented players in key positions, but their depth drops off pretty quickly, particularly with a good back rower like Borger gone for the season. They will trouble some teams and win a couple of matches but will struggle against the best teams.

TGS – This team will trouble quite a few heading up the range to play. These teams include TSS (rd2), BSHS (rd4), BBC (rd5), IGS (rd7) and their biggest game of the year v Downlands is not until the last round I believe. No TGS players really featured during the Qld Schoolboy trials so I would rate TGS as a solid team that will play for each other rather for them having to rely on one or two people to spark something. From other commentary, next season may be more of a focus for them and when this occurs it does not bode well for the current year.

Status
Not open for further replies.