• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Write off IGS and BBC at your peril.

All it takes in First XV Rugby is an excellent flyhalf to win.

Of course any team can win with a decent flyhalf and stars around the park, but a true superstar at #10 can pull a struggling team up by their bootstraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes King. Saw it with Greene in 2012. But Lucas could not manage it last year.

Will Smith

Peter Burge (5)
Write off IGS and BBC at your peril.

All it takes in First XV Rugby is an excellent flyhalf to win.

Of course any team can win with a decent flyhalf and stars around the park, but a true superstar at #10 can pull a struggling team up by their bootstraps.

Combine IGS' excellent forward pack with Cooper Whiteside with some strike weapons in Viliami Lea and a defensive powerhouse like Clyde Rapilla and they will be gunning for a Premiership.

Likewise BBC under the guidance of Carter Gordon. These two teams will be among the toughest to beat.

GT, full of handy players, will miss the out and out class of Lucas and Eadie. Without those two you won't see Terrace scale the same heights of 2016.

Nudgee are always excellent but for a second straight year seem to lack the out and out star power they've had every year since 2007.

I don't think we saw the best of TSS at the GPS Trials, and not for the first time. Rumours of holding back fit players to preserve them for the regular season have started flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IGS actually look really good at the moment, I think they are in top 3 contention this year. 9 state level players, that's more than half the team. There's Cooper Whiteside who will lead these boys well with the boot. Clyde Rapilla is a big defensive weapon. Eugene Koorts has pin point precision in throwing and runs like a wrecking ball, not to mention the other 6 boys in Sini Wolske, Viliami Lea, Emmitt Keepa, Davida Stowers, Joseph Fallalo, and Jeremy Kempston.

Tall Paul

Stan Wickham (3)
The game's afoot: Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry or Henry, BBC, and GPS Rugby!'

That's the spirit GO old chum. WOOF - take that Henry old boy.

Now can we please have some civility? Pass the Bombay Safire will you? Down the hatch and off to croquet. What say you GO old chum?

I just laughed so hard my monocle fell out and I sloshed port all over my new smoking jacket.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
1 or 2 if they're lucky with injuries to the boys in front of them, Manu (unlikely due to the cattle in the loose forward department.) and the Fly half ( Not sure of his name.)

Ethan Robbins looked more than capable as an outside back in the trials. Is this who you are referring to?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Sometimes King. Saw it with Greene in 2012. But Lucas could not manage it last year.

Sam Greene 2012 - unfortunate not be playing Super Rugby in Australia.

Bobby Tuttle 2013 - Reds first string halfback

Mack Mason 2014 - Wallaby squad member

Brodie Croft 2015 - the next big thing in the NRL and heir apparent to the Maroons #7 jersey

Isaac Crone 2016 - Combined States 2017.

I guess you could make the argument that in all cases but Greene there was a strong supporting cast.

I think t's also fair to say that the best #10 has won the Premiership in every year but 2016.

In terms of quality 10s running around the competition in that time, 24 out of 36 flyhalves have graduated into Premier Grade or higher in the past five years.

It's a position of great talent in the GPS, no doubt.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sam Greene 2012 - unfortunate not be playing Super Rugby in Australia.

Bobby Tuttle 2013 - Reds first string halfback

Mack Mason 2014 - Wallaby squad member

Brodie Croft 2015 - the next big thing in the NRL and heir apparent to the Maroons #7 jersey

As always -you make a great point King.
BGS & ACGS had no right winning those premierships except for Greene & Croft.
In particular I saw Croft take control a number of times.I remember the 2015 match against BBC where ACGS were getting pumped by 12 to 14 points and Croft virtually won the game himself in 2nd half.
I actually agree with you that TSS ,IGS and BBC (in that order) have the best 10s in the comp.
I would not read too much into the lack of TSS forwards in the Qld teams. The "Kiwi connection" and the "NRL boys" were not allowed to trial.
They are still the team to beat & with the best backline by a mile-but as we saw from BBC in 2015-that may not be enough.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
How many U16's do you think will start in the Nudgee First XV this year BW ?

How many do you reckon will start in Terrace's team ?

Not sure what your point is GO?
It will be the same as it has been since 2002- NC & TSS will have the most 18 year olds.
footnote-2002 was the year TSS put their strategy in place for their centenary-prior to that they were easybeats.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
1)And this year I believe the BBC team have a set of forwards a rung above the others. Probably the best front row

2)and best back row in the comp and with Hosea anchoring the locks, what is there not to like

2 is correct
1 is totally wrong. Their 2 is good but 1 and 3 are way behind TSS /BSHS

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
1)And this year I believe the BBC team have a set of forwards a rung above the others. Probably the best front row

2)and best back row in the comp and with Hosea anchoring the locks, what is there not to like

2 is correct
1 is totally wrong. Their 2 is good but 1 and 3 are way behind TSS /BSHS

I was thinking the whole package. But you are right B&W - on a rethink, BSHS have the most firepower up front. But I think overall BBC would edge TSS.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Current GPS school representatives at Nationals:

1. Nudgee College: 6 (Qld1:3; Qld 2 :2 CS:1)
  2. BBC : 6 (Qld 1:3 Qld 2 :3)
  3. TSS : 5 (Qld 1:4 Qld 2:1)
  4. IGS :9 (Qld 1:3 Qld 2: 3 CS:3)
  5. BSHS : 6 (Qld1:3 Qld 2:2 CS:1)
  6. Gregory Terrace : 2 (Qld 1:1 CS:1)
  7. TGS : 1 (Qld2:1)
  8. ACGS :2 (Qld1)
  9. BGS :2 (Qld 1:1 Qld 2:1)

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)

I think you need to check your numbers

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not sure what your point is GO?
It will be the same as it has been since 2002- NC & TSS will have the most 18 year olds.
footnote-2002 was the year TSS put their strategy in place for their centenary-prior to that they were easybeats.

01 - they won. that was the start of the strategy (well obviously before that)

Gregory Den

Bob McCowan (2)

GT : 5 (Qld1:1; Qld2:3; CS:1)*

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Using the Reps as a guide

1. IGS
2. BBC
3=. NC/BSHS
5. TSS
6. GT
7. ACGS
8. BGS
9. TGS

Well that says it all really....., selection is a very subjective process.

Like the GAB Eric Rush used to say. "I told my dad I missed out on selection, he would say don't worry son it's only on man's opinion". When he finally made it and rang his dad, his dad said. " Well son that's only one man's opinion"! - Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.