• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure who MP (Moana Pasifika) is (is it me?) but my best guess as to why MA'E was subbed would be so that JP Tominiko could also get some time on the field in front of the selectors.

This tournament is about player development so the goal is for every player to play equal minutes wherever possible.

Stiles is the head coach of a Super Rugby team and has previously been the competition's most successful set-piece coach. He's no mug, regardless of the Reds results this year.

There's a difference between being a poor coach and being a poor leader / unable to exact cultural change.

King,
It sounds like you're taking some frustrated rugby fans comments far too personal on a social media platform.
I'm sure my opinion or anyone else's for that matter on a rugby matter is no way a personal attack on Styles players or coaches.. so get some grip buddy .. have you had a boost of caffeine yet?..
Ok ... Sam Phillips is no doubt a good writer .. being a good writer does not make you a rugby expert .. so if you want to talk rugby then I'm happy to oblige.. NS is a friend..but I have a rugby opinion that is different... by the way... did you catchup with England coach yesterday ? My Jones was in da house of pain ... maybe doing some
Scouting? Or a family member playing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
King,
It sounds like you're taking some frustrated rugby fans comments far too personal on a social media platform... have you had a boost of caffeine yet?

As a matter of fact I still haven't, so maybe I'm reading too much into it. Sorry if that's the case

by the way. did you catchup with England coach yesterday ? My Jones was in da house of pain . maybe doing some scouting? Or a family member playing?

I'm in Brisbane atm, just watching the games on the livestream like the rest of us.

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
I was very disappointed again for another year with how QLD 1 and 2 played. We almost have to forget last year because of the conditions but once again QLD fail. All the excuses in the world won't change the results.
The players are good individually, I'm sure we can all agree on that. Yes the odd person will have an issue with the odd selection but in the majority bar injury we have the best kids being represented.

My issue is with the coaching I guess or game management. The old saying is "you have to earn the right to go wide" and neither QLD 1 or 2 did that. Look at QLD 1 they dominated at scrum time. Had or at least should of had lineout superiority, large athletic bodies up front who should have pounded the fringe defence sucking in loose forwards and tightening up inside backs defence and then when behind the gain line with quick ball released a set of backs with wheels to burn and very good physicality. But they didn't once again we have half a team of individuals and half a team playing what they see.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Reds have just announced one-year deals for Angus Blyth (TSS 2016) and Caleb Timu (NC 2010).

But the real kicker is a MONSTER four-year deal for Harry Hockings (ACGS 2015) that will keep him in Red until "at least 2020".

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Reds have just announced one-year deals for Angus Blyth (TSS 2016) and Caleb Timu (NC 2010).

But the real kicker is a MONSTER four-year deal for Harry Hockings (ACGS 2015) that will keep him in Red until "at least 2020".

Great grab on Hockings and Timu - Blyth is a waste of money and time. Another example of picking a boy for his body rather than his ability.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This is an interesting insight by Rafabit regarding the now controversial shifting of Qld gps rugby from term 2 to term 3.. what do you think?

"Bowside your proposal has serious merit. A new competition with wider involvement of differing schools could only serve to improve rugby in SEQ. However opportunity and reality seldom coincide in Qld schoolboy rugby. There will be no new term 2 based competition. Don't look to the QRU to champion such a cause either - they pay token care to schoolboy rugby.
In fact the GPS decision will only harm schools rugby, forcing the season to be crammed into 1 term. This will mean less preparation/buildup/trials for the boys. Many of the boys already complain of the season being too short compared to the club competition. And when the kiwi schools visit they drool at the rugby programs they enjoy.
Its a sad day for GPS rugby with this decision."
Refabit, Mar 1, 2011 #2

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This is an interesting insight by Rafabit regarding the now controversial shifting of Qld gps rugby from term 2 to term 3.. what do you think?

"Bowside your proposal has serious merit. A new competition with wider involvement of differing schools could only serve to improve rugby in SEQ. However opportunity and reality seldom coincide in Qld schoolboy rugby. There will be no new term 2 based competition. Don't look to the QRU to champion such a cause either - they pay token care to schoolboy rugby.

In fact the GPS decision will only harm schools rugby, forcing the season to be crammed into 1 term. This will mean less preparation/buildup/trials for the boys. Many of the boys already complain of the season being too short compared to the club competition. And when the kiwi schools visit they drool at the rugby programs they enjoy.

Its a sad day for GPS rugby with this decision."

Refabit, Mar 1, 2011 #2

I think it was controversial in 2011.
Administrators of Rugby in this country at the higher levels are quite simply awful and shortsighted.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think there was definitely a woo for Qld 1&2 to play a Qld Colt team(s) as they had a wk off(bye) to at least get some rugby and sort their roles and combinations before coming down for nationals . QSRU must take bit of the emerging pattern of Qld teams starting off real slow.. same as last year...

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
As a matter of fact I still haven't, so maybe I'm reading too much into it. Sorry if that's the case

I'm in Brisbane atm, just watching the games on the livestream like the rest of us.

King, these guys are harsh. I agree with you. Old 1 had that game for the taking but needed more than one kid in every breakdown. They do that and they win by 20. Some of those backs in space were very, very good.

B

Backline_Move

I think there was definitely a woo for Qld 1&2 to play a Qld Colt team(s) as they had a wk off(bye) to at least get some rugby and sort their roles and combinations before coming down for nationals . QSRU must take bit of the emerging pattern of Qld teams starting off real slow.. same as last year.

Same as last year?

Didn't they come fifth and sixth? That's not a slow start.

Still managed to get all the selections despite the performance though.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I note a few are lamenting the Qld schoolboys teams performances on Monday and overall over last couple of years and I note Qld2 defeating Qld1 last year in the playoff for 5th and 6th place.Here are some of my observations and viewpoints from behind the keyboard.

Myself as well as many others do get seduced by the “flashy” players and what they do with the ball in hand. If you look at our commentary and opinion on games and players, the focus is mainly on the freakish pass or the speed or steps a player makes with the ball in hand.The hard yards made by the toilers and workers to get the ball to that player to allow that to happen is so often overlooked.

Most of the people selected are “superstars” in their own school or club team. They usually always have been.These players over the last 5 or 10 years of their football playing have been conditioned and coached to be in a position to get the ball in hand and create some wonderful piece of play.And we all celebrate that person and the gifted plays made.Just look at some of the terrific videos made of individual players that are featured from time to time in the schoolboy forum. However, these players (and I am mainly talking about the forwards now) are never subjected in a game situation of continually doing the hard yards over the ball in a contested situation.They will from time to time, but most of the time they will be positioning themselves for the next play to get the ball in hand.

This works if you have five or six other forwards doing the hard yards and making the sacrifices around the field to secure that ball so it can get to that player. But the moment that is reduced to only four or five players or even less, the team will invariably get in trouble.And that is what I was observing on the screen when watching the QLD1 and QLD2 games on Monday. Possibly not enough players selected who are prepared to grind and do hard yards in rucks, mauls and defence and too many players who are used to being the "star" and coming up with the big play.

Those at the Qld Schoolboy trials last month would have seen this done by the GPS2 and AIC teams. Way too much individualism and selfish play by the forwards looking to get the ball in hand and not doing enough work in other aspects of the game for which the teams paid the price on the scoreboard but not in the selection room.

There was one game in the trials where I saw a player make a few tackles in the first minutes of a game including one big hit and was doing a lot of work over the ball which drew my attention. I thought his work rate was amazing and by the end of the game I reckon he had racked up over 40 tackles and his directness at the breakdown secured good ball for the halfback many times.Many of the other forwards in the team were then allowed to stand out in their pods and get the ball in hand and do something with it.Which they did quite well.At the selection table most of the other forwards in that team earned selection to participate this week at the National Schoolboy Championships, but their team mate who I thought did most of the hard yakka for the team did not.

We see this type of stuff occurring all the way to the Wallaby level. At times, particularly early on in his senior career I would have classified Hooper as a great utililty back.His workrate over the ball for a number 7 was, in my opinion, abysmal.But we still celebrate his runs with the ball in hand and say how great he made those yards and neglect the three or four balls we turned over because he was not there to protect it and don’t count the opportunity cost of the balls that he did not pilfer.

I mentioned earlier celebrating the freakish pass. When we see this in the local schoolboy games they are spectacular.However, I do not believe that the players are adjusting to the higher level of players they come up against in trials or the Nationals and those passes are being pushed and failing all too often at a level that you cannot afford to fail too many times.

There have also been calls on this forum for the QLD team to play more games before they get to the Nationals. This QLD1 starting team was (except for one or now two players) is the GPS1 team.At the selection trials there were three games where they could have worked their combinations, but a lot of them were put in cotton wool for the last game.I think the coaches are more concerned about getting their team to the Nationals intact, so an extra game or two to get combination will never occur.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great insight, unfortunately it happens in NSW as well, the forwards who do the hard yards get overlooked for the ball runners , hence when we come up against the Kiwis in under 20s and beyond we get smashed at the breakdown.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
One of the worst performances by a Queensland schoolboy side I have ever seen. Very individual in the way the played and a few passengers within the 23. Multiple occasions were wasted when the last pass needed to be thrown and it was not, changing what should've been a 40/50-0 scoreline to 17-3.

Although I rate Hockings, the word going around is that is a major suprise that he has a 4 year reds contract, especially in comparison to some of the COLTS players running around, let alone the men.

In regards to Blyth, I watched him play school footy for 2 years and this year and god forbid every part of me wants him to do well with his big frame but haven't seen anything that makes me think he could contribute anymore than anyone else in a QPR side. With the release of Magnay and McIntyre, Everything that is wrong with Queensland and Australian rugby has come right to fruition in the last week, and if I'm the only person who can see it then we're all f*%$#.

On a happy note, god Harry Wilson is good, so too Parata. They are some serious serious footy players.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Regardless of whether you are watching the live stream or are here at the games, there is a definite tension and a vibe of frustration over the 'performances' of the Qld 1&2 teams.
This Qld gps thread is exploding with raw outbursts of passionate emotions and the poor kids and coaching staff are copping it.
First of all who are the "real stakeholders" camaflouging their real agenda on this forum??
Parents? : For all the reasons true to your situation:examples
  • a kid got picked ahead of your son
  • your son is not performing/or is performing
  • your son is entitled to more field time
  • or whatever your connection is to the Qld schoolboys team is through. . .
* I think its best you hold your opinion to yourself not because you cant say it but it will make you sound immature and bitter, so be objective and share on rugby issues and stay impassive-lol it would be almost impossible and hence my suggestion to not comment.
State Advocate for Qld rugby growth?Then your constructive comments should reflect solutions not jumping on (sound good) band-wagon and :
  • state the obvious
  • criticise selections ; processes; but offer no pro-active suggestions
A rugby expert? A current or ex-coach or player with experiences at this level of schoolboys rugby and higher? Then you should be providing concrete arguments on the specific rugby content for the un-informed(eg.parents who may have never played the game and may be guilty of trying to live their dreams thru their sons . . which btw is fine with me, just keep it real).
Tomorrow will be a big day for Qld rugby because its our SOO with NSW. It is also the trasditional power-houses of Australian rugby. . .though Im not so sure ACT (Brumbies) agree and rightlyfully so on all things rugby :) .

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Regardless of whether you are watching the live stream or are here at the games, there is a definite tension and a vibe of frustration over the 'performances' of the Qld 1&2 teams.
This Qld gps thread is exploding with raw outbursts of passionate emotions and the poor kids and coaching staff are copping it.
First of all who are the "real stakeholders" camaflouging their real agenda on this forum??
Parents? : For all the reasons true to your situation:examples
  • a kid got picked ahead of your son
  • your son is not performing/or is performing
  • your son is entitled to more field time
  • or whatever your connection is to the Qld schoolboys team is through.
* I think its best you hold your opinion to yourself not because you cant say it but it will make you sound immature and bitter, so be objective and share on rugby issues and stay impassive-lol it would be almost impossible and hence my suggestion to not comment.
State Advocate for Qld rugby growth?Then your constructive comments should reflect solutions not jumping on (sound good) band-wagon and :
  • state the obvious
  • criticise selections ; processes; but offer no pro-active suggestions
A rugby expert? A current or ex-coach or player with experiences at this level of schoolboys rugby and higher? Then you should be providing concrete arguments on the specific rugby content for the un-informed(eg.parents who may have never played the game and may be guilty of trying to live their dreams thru their sons . . which btw is fine with me, just keep it real).
Tomorrow will be a big day for Qld rugby because its our SOO with NSW. It is also the trasditional power-houses of Australian rugby.though Im not so sure ACT (Brumbies) agree and rightlyfully so on all things rugby :) .
Great points. the frustration for me is the lack of direction and no enforcement on players playing for themselves. I know we judge on results but I'm sure we agree this is a good side Q1 that lacks direction.
With the 4 days they had to prepare I'm sure with the coaching experience they could have implemented a simple shape and structure for these boys. When in doubt play to the edge, reload, access and fire. IMO. Let's hope they come out tomorrow and prove me wrong. Go QLD!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes. Agree with parts of TheKing post and Nightstalker above. QLD1 forwards did not attack the ruck in twos or threes, the odd forward then not strong enough over the ball and too much easy turnover.

When we were scoring with ease on the right side I thought we would see far more ball going that way in second half but frustration with too many players in the middle not allowing the ball to get past them out to the right edge.

Qld1 are now relying on NSW2 to knock over ACT (and then need to defeat NSW2 by a large enough margin) for them to have any chance of Championship Final.
ACT beat NSW2... unless WA can spring a upset ACT will be in the final. Who they play remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.