• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Oooops. . .Thanks GD. sorry Gregory Terrace :)

Depending on your rugby philosophy, the representative numbers should count for something.
  1. One traditional ideology is to play a "10 man rugby", where much of the game is played in the forwards with the 9 & 10 creating links back and forth(turning the ball back inside the tight 5) with 6 & 7 pilfering all game.
  2. The AB style explores the idea of 2-4-2 in front,4 middle 3 back type structure. This means having ball players(distributors) all across the from 1-15. The game is played at high tempo with brilliant ball runners at 12-13 to punch thru the advantage line.
So, 'KISS', the coaches of these gps should identify what these representative players bring and devise a game plan that maximises their effectiveness. otherwise, you better have a very reliable 9&10 .

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Queensland I looking really good in the first half.

Parata and Lolesio are truly excellent distributors and Jordy Petaia will have a big tournament off the back of it.

Otherwise the skill level of the QLD forwards is very good. Wilson, Hosea, Small, Koorts, Ngamanu and Kibble have all shown flashes of great skill

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Wow. Can't believe Queensland couldn't seal the deal there.

Queensland looked in control for the entire game, largely thanks to Campbell Parata who looked the best player on the park by a fair margin IMO.

It felt like the Canberrans were able to force enough breakdown pressure to disrupt the flow of Queensland's attacking game, and lots of handling errors didn't help.

ACT #2, #8 and #15 looked really good to me.

Nightstalker

Bob McCowan (2)
Lots of tries went begging with players trying "to hard" and pushing and dropping balls
ACT got a lot of ball at the ruck while our boys waited in the backline for some attacking opportunity
Hope we go better than last year
Hopefully a more team orientated game on Wednesday

Hoggies

Bob McCowan (2)
Gee King,

Not sure if we were watching the same game. The ACT #10 played all over Parata, and young Hosea (for someone already signed by a pro team) was very under whelming.

Qld were poor and the ACT who lets face it should have lost by 20 at minimum dominated Qld across the park with the exception of the scrum.

However i'm sure we will still see 60% of the Qld team selected in the Aussie schools team based purely on reputation

Wow. Can't believe Queensland couldn't seal the deal there.

Queensland looked in control for the entire game, largely thanks to Campbell Parata who looked the best player on the park by a fair margin IMO.

It felt like the Canberrans were able to force enough breakdown pressure to disrupt the flow of Queensland's attacking game, and lots of handling errors didn't help.

ACT #2, #8 and #15 looked really good to me.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Yes. Agree with parts of TheKing post and Nightstalker above. QLD1 forwards did not attack the ruck in twos or threes, the odd forward then not strong enough over the ball and too much easy turnover.

When we were scoring with ease on the right side I thought we would see far more ball going that way in second half but frustration with too many players in the middle not allowing the ball to get past them out to the right edge.

Qld1 are now relying on NSW2 to knock over ACT (and then need to defeat NSW2 by a large enough margin) for them to have any chance of Championship Final.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Yes. Agree with parts of TheKing post and Nightstalker above. QLD1 forwards did not attack the ruck in twos or threes, the odd forward then not strong enough over the ball and too much easy turnover.

When we were scoring with ease on the right side I thought we would see far more ball going that way in second half but frustration with too many players in the middle not allowing the ball to get past them out to the right edge.
You just described the type of player Qld want, From what I've been seeing in selection lately,
I think you actually need hard workers to do the dirty stuff, but that type of player is very underrated in Qld.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
You just described the type of player Qld want, From what I've been seeing in selection lately,
I think you actually need hard workers to do the dirty stuff, but that type of player is very underrated in Qld.

Yep, basics of their role before the fluffy stuff. I often wonder if they get told by the coaches what their core roles actually are.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Watching the Q1 game and have to say King you really need to watch the game mate.
I guess when you have 1 week to prepare without a practice game under you, seriously what do we expect to get.
A polished 4 days of training with a captains run and a team put under pressure with no plan B. No numbers on the ball, halfback having to clean out because forwards are more focused on getting into there pods, backs with to much lateral running with no one being direct and all these bullshit offloads to players who are in a no better position or aren't expecting it. The game was Q1's to loose. So many opportunities but yet again we see players playing for selection and not for the team. Bring on the force!

ACT

Stan Wickham (3)
Watching the Q1 game and have to say King you really need to watch the game mate.
I guess when you have 1 week to prepare without a practice game under you, seriously what do we expect to get.
A polished 4 days of training with a captains run and a team put under pressure with no plan B. No numbers on the ball, halfback having to clean out because forwards are more focused on getting into there pods, backs with to much lateral running with no one being direct and all these bullshit offloads to players who are in a no better position or aren't expecting it. The game was Q1's to loose. So many opportunities but yet again we see players playing for selection and not for the team. Bring on the force!

Ditto. The Q2 match was a mess. Unsure what they have been doing for "1 weeks" training, I know it wasn't defense! Appears to be no comms on the field or direction from the sideline? You'd expect the basic's would have been covered in the short time they had, but weren't. Unsure how long this has been going on for, but QSRU need to pull their finger out and get the selection process done a lot earlier in the year (Jan) and a few trial matches against other state if they want any chance of winning this comp.....take a leaf out of Victoria and NSW's book!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Gee King,

Not sure if we were watching the same game.

Looks like I might need to watch the game again!

I certainly got the feeling in the initial watch that Queensland were in cruise control, playing with confidence they perhaps didn't have the right to play with.

I thought Parata's kicking (multiple kicks approaching 60m in distance) and slick distribution (didn't spot a single poor pass) was really eye-catching, where I didn't see much of that same level of skill for Goddard (ACT #10)

Maybe I'll chock that down to my rose tinted glasses, but I'll try find time to watch the game again.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Eye catchers - QLD I

"Moses Alo-Emile - Was the man behind the majority of the scrum dominance and added a stack of powerful carries to that set piece work.

Noah Lolesio - Provided a perfect link as a second playmaker but showed he knows when the time is right to sneak through a hole.

Jengala Bennett - Reeled off a breathtaking right foot step to score Queensland's first.

Campbell Parata - Perhaps a touch too deep at flyhalf in attack but organised his pack well, nearly kicked his side to victory off the tee and looks to have built a slick combination with Lolesio in midfield."
Here is an article written by some kid trying to sound like a journalist... but it did not imo.... reflect what I saw in these players mentioned in particular ..10-12. I thought there was too much kicking when we should have used our explosive backs to create opportunities out wide.( both tries scored out wide.
12. Cut back and isolated himself way too many times when our outside backs had tons of space .
JB got very little ball as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Here is an article written by some kid trying to sound like a journalist.

Sam Phillips is not some kid trying to sound like a journalist. He is one of the brightest rugby brains going around in the media.

Stiles rates him so highly as a scribe that he's given Phillips 100% access to Reds training, one of two people in the world with that level of access to the team.

If you think he's off the mark here that's fine, but don't go ridiculing an extremely talented young guy for having a different opinion than yours.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sam Phillips is not some kid trying to sound like a journalist. He is one of the brightest rugby brains going around in the media.

Stiles rates him so highly as a scribe that he's given Phillips 100% access to Reds training, one of two people in the world with that level of access to the team.

If you think he's off the mark here that's fine, but don't go ridiculing an extremely talented young guy for having a different opinion than yours.

Apologies MP (Moana Pasifika) ...
However, MP (Moana Pasifika).. if you know your rugby then perhaps get some insight on how the game is structured and the roles of each player in relation to a game plan.
Moses was replaced before half time . Do you know why MP (Moana Pasifika)?
King, Styles opinion ATM as a rugby coach ??? ... uuum don't go there ...

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Moses was replaced before half time . Do you know why MP (Moana Pasifika)?
King, Styles opinion ATM as a rugby coach ??? . uuum don't go there .

Not sure who MP (Moana Pasifika) is (is it me?) but my best guess as to why MA'E was subbed would be so that JP Tominiko could also get some time on the field in front of the selectors.

This tournament is about player development so the goal is for every player to play equal minutes wherever possible.

Stiles is the head coach of a Super Rugby team and has previously been the competition's most successful set-piece coach. He's no mug, regardless of the Reds results this year.

There's a difference between being a poor coach and being a poor leader / unable to exact cultural change.

Status
Not open for further replies.