• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall Paul

Stan Wickham (3)
...If anything they have had the growth and development internally off a skill and ability base...

And (according to Huggie bear) over 20 players (including all but one of the starting A's squad) on some form of sporting scholarship.

Let's not forget that.

Quietly.

And, while I don't necessarily agree with such a high number of scholarship players, I will give credit to BBC for offering most of these places to kids from the under 13 age group onwards.

As GO has intimated, BBC has developed depth, commitment and passion in their program across multiple age groups. Credit to the school for doing this early, rather that taking a trip to manus island for some U16's recruitment.

To me, it very much looks like the scholarship program, great coaching and some success has rebuilt a positive rugby culture at the school. With luck, it will transition at some point so that the school will begin to attract players without the enticements.

Personally, I think other schools could take a look at what BBC have done around building rugby culture and try to replicate it. But maybe without so many sporting scholarships.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
They also appear to be heavily advantaged by size. Something that will be gone next year playing 18yr olds. Agree with someone on the previous page about reading too much into 15A results.

GPS history is full of undefeated 15 A teams that didnt cut the mustard in 1stxv when they play NC and TSS 1st xv full of 18 years olds:
-Lachie Maranta's undefeated GT 15 A team
-Len Ikatau BBC 15 A team
etc

There is one 15 A team that did win 1st xv 2 years later. Scott Young's 2012 ACGS 15 A team were undefeated and won 2014 1st xv -BUT they trucked in a load (8)of new boys in 2013

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
GPS history is full of undefeated 15 A teams that didnt cut the mustard in 1stxv when they play NC and TSS 1st xv full of 18 years olds:
etc

There is one 15 A team that did win 1st xv 2 years later. Scott Young's 2012 ACGS 15 A team were undefeated and won 2014 1st xv -BUT they trucked in a load (8)of new boys in 2013

5.12am ?

Couldn't sleep eh Bluey ?

He-Man

Frank Row (1)
etc

I'm confused about your reference to an undefeated 15A team B&W. Are you now conceding that BBC will go through undefeated when it was only the other day you were stating the Nudgee team is waiting quietly at Ross Oval.

A bit premature to say BBC will go through undefeated isn't it. The blue boys could still be that undefeated team that you allude too. Then you'd have to apply your own logic to them. Have faith, I have full confidence in the NC team; I've seen them play, so don't give up on them just yet.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
IMG_1945.JPG

The real Wally

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just wondering if anyone knows what has happened to Xavier Sioli and Hearn at GT. Are they injured as I have not seen anything from them in the season
It would be interesting to see the list of injured players missing from the comp

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm confused about your reference to an undefeated 15A team B&W. Are you now conceding that BBC will go through undefeated when it was only the other day you were stating the Nudgee team is waiting quietly at Ross Oval.

A bit premature to say BBC will go through undefeated isn't it. The blue boys could still be that undefeated team that you allude too. Then you'd have to apply your own logic to them. Have faith, I have full confidence in the NC team; I've seen them play, so don't give up on them just yet.

Not making any predictions-just a general observation.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well the claims of quiet waiting are falling on deaf ears ....

Everyone knows that Nudgee have stacked big numbers in this current U15 cohort last year and moreso this year, and , fancy themselves as contenders this season and moving forward . It would seem they are doing their utmost to be in the game for whatever else is out there at the top end of the talent pool that can be added in Term 4 / next year

The chat is as strange as it is humourous - especially when Nudgee are odds on favourites to take First XV THIS year .

Where's the love for the current Firsts Nudgee peeps ? They are quietly ( there us that word again ) putting together a helluva year

Who gives a square root now about what happens in 2 years ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Also ......seems as though someone forgot to send the memo to IGS and BSHS 15's - both of whom are very good teams and are right in the mix

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
Well the claims of quiet waiting are falling on deaf ears ..

Everyone knows that Nudgee have stacked big numbers in this current U15 cohort last year and moreso this year, and , fancy themselves as contenders this season and moving forward . It would seem they are doing their utmost to be in the game for whatever else is out there at the top end of the talent pool that can be added in Term 4 / next year

The chat is as strange as it is humourous - especially when Nudgee are odds on favourites to take First XV THIS year .

Where's the love for the current Firsts Nudgee peeps ? They are quietly ( there us that word again ) putting together a helluva year

Who gives a square root now about what happens in 2 years ?

well said!

TheCuriousWatcher

Bob McCowan (2)
A little bit of a random post but I'm trying to gather who you guys think are the best players/or who has the most potential in GPS/AIC rugby. From 15's to 1sts!

Although, watching predominantly Nudgee, Grammar and BBC games I may have a bit of bias towards them, as I haven't seen Churchie or any IGS games this year. I've highly enjoyed watching some of their younger players from most schools;

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow - Fullback (U16, 1sts Bris Grammar)
2. Lachlan Connors - No.8 (1sts St. Pats)
3. Trevor Hosea - Lock (1sts BBC)
4. Jack Howarth - Outside Centre (15s BBC)
5. Jangala Bennet - Wing/Flyhalf (U16, plays 1sts NC)
6. Harry Wilson - Lock (1sts GT)

Will Smith

Peter Burge (5)
A little bit of a random post but I'm trying to gather who you guys think are the best players/or who has the most potential in GPS/AIC rugby. From 15's to 1sts!

Although, watching predominantly Nudgee, Grammar and BBC games I may have a bit of bias towards them, as I haven't seen Churchie or any IGS games this year. I've highly enjoyed watching some of their younger players from most schools;

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow - Fullback (U16, 1sts Bris Grammar)
2. Lachlan Connors - No.8 (1sts St. Pats)
3. Trevor Hosea - Lock (1sts BBC)
4. Jack Howarth - Outside Centre (15s BBC)
5. Jangala Bennet - Wing/Flyhalf (U16, plays 1sts NC)
6. Harry Wilson - Lock (1sts GT)

Phoenix Hunt (NC), Jordan Petaia (BSHS), Egan Siggs (TSS), Noah Lolesio (TSS)... anybody else? I am not sure if there is anyone from IGS or Churchie that's standing out to be honest

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Your memory seems a little dusty there Dusky - the current BBC Opens were always a mid table team as they were coming through the under age groups

And Nudgee were 1 of 2 teams the smart money was on at the start of this season , and so , for those that went the Blue and White as far back as U15 , good news , your house is safe

In what you have posted you seem to have more than a casual familiarity , however , for some balance in perspective when viewing that team in the highlights (above)

1. They finished 3rd the last 2 x years behind IGS and BSHS respectively

2. There is 1 x new back

3. There is 1 x new forward

If anything they have had the growth and development internally off a skill and ability base they always had to now " catch up to the others " as you and others put it

Let's leave the A boys alone for a sec and look at a bigger picture . This year level had 4 x clean sweeps in U13 ( with a 13D Premiership ) and 4 more in U14.

They have had 2 x clean sweeps in 3 rounds and now have a 15F team - which might be a first at this age group level at BBC .

The B's have quality players who are capable of challenging the A boys - and they will also be in the mix, along with the C's and D's to be at the top of the table come seasons end

The high engagement in participation and equalling or surpassing GT and Nudgee on this factor alone - really says a lot - especially when you consider this was "the split year" cohort where numbers were always going to be lesser

So sorry to pop the hater " just you wait" bubble - they have been waiting for a few years.

Quietly
Garry, the only point I was making is the u15 team have been winning easily because they have size on their side and other teams (either through imports or the way teenagers normally grow) will catch up. Given the depth you say BBC have in that age group, hopefully that will keep pushing the A players to keep developing as players. I would love to see BBC win a 1stXV premiership in the next year or two - just not this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.