• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
If there is an ish with the switch it isn’t their backline defense. They’ll have a few of the best back defenders running around (King , Krause and Thomas - and King Smith is pretty handy also)

And they’ll be put to work against the better teams quite a bit.

How much ball they’ll get , and in particular, front foot ball is the big question .

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
quote="Garry Owens, post: 1074149, member: 30335"]Ethan King , Seamus King Smith , Christian Krause and (likely) Kedan Chung Tan complete the staple of one of the two best backlines in GPS Rugby this year ( if all healthy )

Ethan King especially I already have as the most underrated back in the competition. He’s absolutely for real[/quote]

And the other top forward pack is ? And why ?[

Rugby Jim

Frank Row (1)
IGS First XV played GT last weekend and from all reports IGS back line ripped them apart. Very much the Sam Walker show and a flashy number 9 from IGS whose name i cant remember but has played alot of rep apparently. Apparently IGS dropped back a few gears after running in some simple tries. I had also heard IGS forwards didn't run into any competition at all up against a weak GT forward pack in all respects. Was anyone at the game or does anyone have any information from that game that can shine some light on whats happening?

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
IGS First XV played GT last weekend and from all reports IGS back line ripped them apart. Very much the Sam Walker show and a flashy number 9 from IGS whose name i cant remember but has played alot of rep apparently. Apparently IGS dropped back a few gears after running in some simple tries. I had also heard IGS forwards didn't run into any competition at all up against a weak GT forward pack in all respects. Was anyone at the game or does anyone have any information from that game that can shine some light on whats happening?

Without a head coach or any sign of a rugby program until early term 2 it's hardly a surprise that GT were ripped apart. Heard IGS have an U15 behemoth who exceeds the height and weight restriction for the age group and is lining up in the 1st/2nds with some equally large mates. IGS will definitely be a force with this type of strike power but wouldn't take this trial a true indication as to how they're travelling. Hard to see GT getting a win this year.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Your comment about Terrace can't be right. Didn't they have 8 representatives in Queensland U16's just last year and then also an Australian Schoolboy representative who is back again ? I have them in the top couple of teams.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
No returning Aussie Schoolboy for GT this year , one returning Qld 1 starting player in GV from last year.

There is a fair bit of cross over in the six or so who made Qld U16’s last year and the five who made Qld Schoolboys this year.

More than half the likely starting team this year saw some First XV last year, they will improve by round 1 and as a few have pointed out , will need to .

Rugby Jim

Frank Row (1)
Congratulations to the rep boys but I wouldn’t be putting a lot of credibility on some of those rep selections. Word is that many GT boys chose not to trial in the latest qld schools trials. As mentioned in earlier posts most GPS schools didn’t trial boys at all which is probably how it should have been for those recent qld schools trials .....but enough has been said on that already.

johnnymac

Bob McCowan (2)
No returning Aussie Schoolboy for GT this year , one returning Qld 1 starting player in GV from last year. Think Gt is suffering from a hangover from the ex sports director who made some very poor investments in both scholarships and coaching staff. Will be a while before they get back on their feet.

There is a fair bit of cross over in the six or so who made Qld U16’s last year and the five who made Qld Schoolboys this year.

More than half the likely starting team this year saw some First XV last year, they will improve by round 1 and as a few have pointed out , will need to .

johnnymac

Bob McCowan (2)
I would like to make an observation that GT have a lack of quality coaching staff and this will obvoiusly reflect on performance. You can bring in all the talent you like but without quality coaches you get no traction.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I would like to make an observation that I didn’t comment on the ex Director of Sport at GT in my post you quoted.

johnnymac

Bob McCowan (2)
I would like to make an observation that I didn’t comment on the ex Director of Sport at GT in my post you quoted.
sorry nomad. My words. Not yours. My reference was just a bit of naughty finger pointing, maybe even blame game. I was certainly not suggesting accountability, nor even an investigation. Probably best to sweep it under the mat gents.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Don't disagree that there have been issues at GT , but think the biggest has been the progression planning to coaching and future First XV squads. Assuming of course that that is how you mark success of a rugby program. GT still has close to the highest numbers of boys participating and gets great support from the school community.

With the new appointments of McGahan and Schultz I think the GT rugby program will be on track, both have considerable knowledge and experience in running programs.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Seems as though forward dominance was the name of the game in the trial between TSS v IGS at Ipswich last night as TSS towelled up the Ipswegians

Y'know the conventional wisdom is that you need the best 10 in the comp to win blah blah blah ..but without diminishing the importance of that factor ( and it is a factor........just not the only factor ) I would suggest that if you don't have the best or at the very least the 2nd best forward pack in the competition and don't control the game upfront ..........you can have as great a backline as you like , but ultimately , it won't really matter if you are not up to scratch in the engine room

Rodzilla

Bob McCowan (2)
Seems as though forward dominance was the name of the game in the trial between TSS v IGS at Ipswich last night as TSS towelled up the Ipswegians

Y'know the conventional wisdom is that you need the best 10 in the comp to win blah blah blah ..but without diminishing the importance of that factor ( and it is a factor....just not the only factor ) I would suggest that if you don't have the best or at the very least the 2nd best forward pack in the competition and don't control the game upfront ....you can have as great a backline as you like , but ultimately , it won't really matter if you are not up to scratch in the engine room

BBC and Terrase in big Kak you saying?

S

Sgt Slaughter

Trials are always a hard read and everyone tends to grow an extra arm and leg when you play for keeps. Makes for an interesting season ahead only 31 more sleeps ‍♂️