• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
So does no 13A this year equate to no first XV in 2023? I'm sure Marist Ashgrove would be happy to take their place in the GPS field.

Or does no scholarships mean no more A teams moving forward at all - as I said before no issue smashing sides in the past 4 years or so - but not prepared to be on the other end of the floggings - pretty poor IMO

Reactions: vac

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Or does no scholarships mean no more A teams moving forward at all - as I said before no issue smashing sides in the past 4 years or so - but not prepared to be on the other end of the floggings - pretty poor IMO

sounds like you were on the end of a few of those floggings-but then -of course-GT do bursaries not scholarships.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
sounds like you were on the end of a few of those floggings-but then -of course-GT do bursaries not scholarships.

Sure if that is what you took out of that comment (GT never never took their ball and went home though) - and you think it is OK for schools to pick and choose whether to field A teams in underage competitions than fair enough.

Enjoy our great competition while it lasts!!

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think you might have missed the point there B&W, it's more to do with the cheering and back slapping that goes with winning by big margins , but not being prepared to cop the same punishment yourself once the gravy train leaves town.

P

Patriot

TSS 11,12 and 13 A teams are not playing their NC counterparts this weekend, they are playing lower sides. Having the same issues on the coast.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've seen plenty of big boys in that age group at BBC so don't think that one is true.

They played uncontested scrums, due to no front rows, in a 14A's trail before the holidays. I added 1 + 1 and came up with 3.

Lemno01

Allen Oxlade (6)
They played uncontested scrums, due to no front rows, in a 14A's trail before the holidays. I added 1 + 1 and came up with 3.

Hi Jets

For some reason there have been a lot of uncontested scrums in the trials this year, which for me gives an unrealistic view of how a team is tracking. I'd be disappointed if any A-level side went uncontested in the competition proper unless they had significant injuries within the game.

Cheers

ackers

Bob McCowan (2)
Looks like the schools are trying something different with the U11 age group.

Gala day for all U11 teams from every school on Saturday. Each team plays two games and will be then graded into a competition.

6 teams each from NC, GT, ACGS
3 teams each from TSS, BBC
2 teams each from BGS, IGS
1 team from TGS

So i think you'll find schools like NC will end up with multiple teams in the 'A' comp.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi Jets

For some reason there have been a lot of uncontested scrums in the trials this year, which for me gives an unrealistic view of how a team is tracking. I'd be disappointed if any A-level side went uncontested in the competition proper unless they had significant injuries within the game.

Cheers

This is an interesting point - we are seeing a definite increase in uncontested scrums in underage club rugby, including Div 1, as well.

I kinda think that if your run on side can't contest scrums at an A or Div 1 level than you should forfeit the game (by all means play it without scrums but you lose regardless of score). I suspect though 'safety concerns' make that very unlikely.

I really think VX's Rugby in the country is on the brink and unless it starts heading in a better direction soon it may topple over before our very eyes.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Looks like the schools are trying something different with the U11 age group.

Gala day for all U11 teams from every school on Saturday. Each team plays two games and will be then graded into a competition.

6 teams each from NC, GT, ACGS
3 teams each from TSS, BBC
2 teams each from BGS, IGS
1 team from TGS

So i think you'll find schools like NC will end up with multiple teams in the 'A' comp.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Not sure it is the right solution - haven't given it enough thought - but I like the fact they are trying things at the age group where all schools are not equal.

Edit - should it work I could see rolling something like this out to u13 as plausible.

Butcher stripe

Bob McCowan (2)

I agree Brave and Game, BBC have been very happy to dish at floggings in the 13, 14 and 15 age groups over the last few years but now when it looks like they might be on the other side of those floggings they hide in the B's

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree Brave and Game, BBC have been very happy to dish at floggings in the 13, 14 and 15 age groups over the last few years but now when it looks like they might be on the other side of those floggings they hide in the B's
Good on them to admit the kids may not be up to a appropriate level

P

Patriot

Dunno if they’re hiding in the Bs, just not paying kids through scholarships to attend their schools when they should be developing what they have.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
The upside of this BBC U13 fiasco is that all the BBC chest beaters who relentlessly claim "this is the year" will gradually crawl into a corner in coming years and the rest of us can focus on real rugby chat on this forum rather than BBC hope and tough luck stories.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Let’s do this. Round 1 here we go.

TSS vs NC - NC by 5
Churchie vs BBC - Churchie by 2
BSHS vs IGS - Ippy by 10
Terrace vs TGS - Terrace by 5

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Who is injured and who not selected?

Against Nudgee in the trial I thought they looked very structured, considering Bowyer, Howarth and Ripley were at league trials.