• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2019

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
The upside of this BBC U13 fiasco is that all the BBC chest beaters who relentlessly claim "this is the year" will gradually crawl into a corner in coming years and the rest of us can focus on real rugby chat on this forum rather than BBC hope and tough luck stories.
You talk about REAL Rugby chat and trash a school in the same sentence .

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I agree Brave and Game, BBC have been very happy to dish at floggings in the 13, 14 and 15 age groups over the last few years but now when it looks like they might be on the other side of those floggings they hide in the B's

oh come on get over it. So they beat your son's team 49 nil. Life goes on

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Looks like the schools are trying something different with the U11 age group.

Gala day for all U11 teams from every school on Saturday. Each team plays two games and will be then graded into a competition.

6 teams each from NC, GT, ACGS
3 teams each from TSS, BBC
2 teams each from BGS, IGS
1 team from TGS

So i think you'll find schools like NC will end up with multiple teams in the 'A' comp.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

I'm looking forward to it. Think it makes sense as it can give all the boys a better chance of playing consistent, competitive rugby. Not great for the TGS kids to have to play A's if they don't have the quality across the team.

Also a chance of the top 3 schools, in terms of teams, having multiple teams in the "A's" based purely on number of players.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
The upside of this BBC U13 fiasco is that all the BBC chest beaters who relentlessly claim "this is the year" will gradually crawl into a corner in coming years and the rest of us can focus on real rugby chat on this forum rather than BBC hope and tough luck stories.

Well the last seven or eight years have at least been “fun” knowing we were competitive against every team and had a chance and confident there was a depth of quality players coming through if it was not to be in that particular year.

Let The Boys Play

Frank Row (1)
I agree Brave and Game, BBC have been very happy to dish at floggings in the 13, 14 and 15 age groups over the last few years but now when it looks like they might be on the other side of those floggings they hide in the B's

This isn't necessarily the case. Last years BBC 12As apparently kept getting flogged, so much like they've adjusted some players up/down age groups because of size, they're doing the same with skill level to make competition 'equal and safe'. This is also seen in the new 11s system that I was only just made aware of on this forum

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Hopefully this doesn’t continue up the age groups. Wouldn’t want to turn into the AGPS. What a confusing yet boring mess.

Despite mine and others (IMO justified) digs at BBC - This is the issue - a team not playing here or there is no big deal - but the breaking of tradition and setting of precedents can be very big deals and once set in motion may not be easily undone.

Rugby continues to be its own worst enemy in this country and the vultures are circling GPS schools desperately trying to get a slice.

P

Patriot

Despite mine and others (IMO justified) digs at BBC - This is the issue - a team not playing here or there is no big deal - but the breaking of tradition and setting of precedents can be very big deals and once set in motion may not be easily undone.

Rugby continues to be its own worst enemy in this country and the vultures are circling GPS schools desperately trying to get a slice.

Rugby’s tradition was destroyed when the game went professional.
Once upon time the men who played the game were amateurs and very proud of it.
Now we have schoolboys who’s goal is to play a game for a living, and that’s the problem.
GPS Rugby will destroy itself because of its attitude.

WW2000

Frank Row (1)
And GPS Rugby was changed forever when every single school followed the lead of NC, TSS and BSHS by shipping in Rugby League Juniors or Promising Rep Rugby players to win a premiership. BGS getting done 100-0 and having the game called off because of 6 bad injuries to boys half the size of the 18 year olds in the opposition, was not that long ago. I was there that day and it seems history may well repeat itself sometime soon. BAG no one is blame free from this, not even your beloved Red and Black, or the original victim of this crazy behaviour, BGS. Now it is up to the leaders of these schools to develop a policy to manage this and return GPS rugby to a game of honour, played by gentleman...who like the odd scrap and who then end up playing with each other as mates in Colts rugby and having a cold beer afterwards.

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
\
Incorrect 14 A to D all good.Had a good tough trial against ACGS-who were near top last year.
no 13 A rugby. But 13 A robotics won world title(true story) and new HM from Sydney very chuffed

Hey Gungenia, I thought BBC was trying to build a rugby culture? Part of culture is getting beaten until you draw a line in the sand and stop it. A very sad day for GPS rugby and to a school where we had seen all the adversities of the past decade. A very slippery slope indeed.

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
And GPS Rugby was changed forever when every single school followed the lead of NC, TSS and BSHS by shipping in Rugby League Juniors or Promising Rep Rugby players to win a premiership. BGS getting done 100-0 and having the game called off because of 6 bad injuries to boys half the size of the 18 year olds in the opposition, was not that long ago. I was there that day and it seems history may well repeat itself sometime soon. BAG no one is blame free from this, not even your beloved Red and Black, or the original victim of this crazy behaviour, BGS. Now it is up to the leaders of these schools to develop a policy to manage this and return GPS rugby to a game of honour, played by gentleman.who like the odd scrap and who then end up playing with each other as mates in Colts rugby and having a cold beer afterwards.

The arm's race that become GPS Rugby has only itself to blame as I posted some weeks back. What we are hearing now is just the beginning of more dysfunction. Very sad, because it is just a game played by schoolboys (....well in some cases).

vac

Larry Dwyer (12)
This is an interesting point - we are seeing a definite increase in uncontested scrums in underage club rugby, including Div 1, as well.

I kinda think that if your run on side can't contest scrums at an A or Div 1 level than you should forfeit the game (by all means play it without scrums but you lose regardless of score). I suspect though 'safety concerns' make that very unlikely.

I really think VX's Rugby in the country is on the brink and unless it starts heading in a better direction soon it may topple over before our very eyes.

Yeah BAG couldn't agree more with the uncontested scum situation, particularly with A teams (13 and over) and to a lesser extent B teams. You don't fully learn how to drive a car on the road via a simulator. You have to experience it, you have to DO it; then you will learn. I know there have been some horrific injuries in the front row (over a very long period of time), however if you are taught properly, if you understand the mechanics of it, you know the dangerous situations and how to minimise the risk, then the best thing is to compete. I think the schools and some parents do overreact, but then again it is fairly serious if a young person gets cruelled for the rest of his life.

(Second Point) Yeah rugby has been under the pump for some time in this country. However, that said, I see club rugby (in Queensland at least) expanding, although slowly, and the competition in club land seems to be the best that I have known in my time, so I don't think it will topple over, just yet.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not much noise here with first round this Saturday! Any team list or tip?
My very uninformed selection:

TSS v NC = Nudgee by 2
BSHS v IGS = IGS by 1
ACGS v BBC = BBC by 17
GT v TGS = Terrace by 8

First round nerve and rusty combination will make for tight round of game?
Be interesting 2nd XV game at Southport too.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Not much noise here with first round this Saturday! Any team list or tip?
My very uninformed selection:

TSS v NC = Nudgee by 2
BSHS v IGS = IGS by 1
ACGS v BBC = BBC by 17
GT v TGS = Terrace by 8

First round nerve and rusty combination will make for tight round of game?
Be interesting 2nd XV game at Southport too.
It is quiet. It might open up after a couple of wins on Saturday.

All over it

Allen Oxlade (6)
BBC Round 1:

1. Andrew Romano
2. James Durheim
3. Jake Tierney
4. Hugo Perceval
5. Jacob Blyton
6. Zac Hough
7. Sam Kelly-Knowles
8. George Gibson
9. Will Stevens