• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2020

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'll say this for both BSHS and BGS - their Coaching / Program leadership is as good as TSS , ACGS, GT, and NC.

And certainly in BGS's case they have a definite capacity to produce Rugby smart players who know the game, and, whilst they won't give as much sugar pop player candy as some of the other schools - they will , at a minimum, produce a few players every year that will ultimately be very good Club players and maybe more depending on how things pan out in individual cases.

BGS's program should not be dissed. BSHS's either.

Very good Rugby people at both.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
I had a mate from the US text them and Doubletake confirmed to him they would be showing it. 7pm kick off at the Toowoomba Sports Ground so the two schools can control entry.
I hope they are streaming it because I've got 15-20 TGS Old Boys coming round to mine to watch it.

As a TGS Old Boy and living in Toowoomba it is great if Doubletake are broadcasting this game because the crowd is limited to Parents and Friends and a few boys from each school at the old "Athletic Oval". Not sure why it s a night time game under lights.

G

George Hennon

Personally, I believe Scots should be in the GPS as they have very talented young players that will run circles around current players in dominating schools such as Nudgee, BCC and TSS. Just my opinion, could be wrong though.
What is everyones thoughts?? Feel like these 'lower tier' schools dont get enough recognition

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
As a TGS Old Boy and living in Toowoomba it is great if Doubletake are broadcasting this game because the crowd is limited to Parents and Friends and a few boys from each school at the old "Athletic Oval". Not sure why it s a night time game under lights.

Will be interesting to see how footage of the "Nigger Brown" Stand is received by the current BLM public.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Personally, I believe Scots should be in the GPS as they have very talented young players that will run circles around current players in dominating schools such as Nudgee, BCC and TSS. Just my opinion, could be wrong though.
What is everyones thoughts?? Feel like these 'lower tier' schools dont get enough recognition

Who is Scots ?
I did not know BCC ( Brisbane City Council) had a rugby team

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A lot of negativity creeping in to posts on this thread of late. This place is meant to celebrate schoolboy rugby. Baseless negativity won’t be tolerated.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Don't forget to get your tips in if your interested.

So far everybody is picking NC and BBC to take the cookies. One brave soul tipping BGS over IGS and a couple of believers backing ACGS.

Very hard to judge this year given the circumstances, and it is still a trial round.

Viewing from afar, I wouldn't write of GT vs BBC.

Terrace is a damn proud rugby school and I think their season last year was a little torpedoed with injuries if I recall.

They didn't get beat by too much in the corresponding fixture last year (though I think BBC kinda left their foot of the gas a little bit during portions of the match) and GT won a close game in the 16As.

I think they have a better chance of knocking off BBC, than ACGS do of beating TSS this weekend.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
I think GT will struggle in most games, unfortunately. Will be happy to be proven wrong though.

They will try hard and certainly have a go - plenty of 18 year olds in the forwards and some class in the mid field, they should certainly defend well in the centers, add a couple of talented 16 year olds and they will compete a lot better than 2019 - but they just don't have the talent across the board or especially up front to hang with the top 4 or 5 sides for a full game.

Maybe just maybe 1 upset in them - NC??

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
C’mon ....

Terrace basically have 7 of 1-9 returning and have a better skill player in Ed Hiley over Ezikiel. Ed should be throwing too seeing as though that was a major issue in set piece last year . The scrum won’t be all that - granted, but the lineout should be good enough if Ed Hiley throws with Boyle and Emarley as main targets

With Boyle , Nasser , Woodward , Emarley , and Chambers back through the pack and Davis guiding / game managing at 9 - there is more than enough for the Terrace Centres to compete against and prove themselves against top line midfields from other Schools.

It’s not a Coaching issue either anymore as was pointed to over the last few years as to what the issue has been. Terrace have a truckload of 18 year olds (6 in their pack and at No 9)

That’s a decent platform for the much vaunted midfield to do their thing

It’s Moment of Truth time

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Churchie verse TSS game will show if Churchie has what it takes for the rest of the season. My gut feel will be Churchie will be similar to last year (and the year before). Keep it simple and rely on the forwards to roll along. The team will give a honest and minimal mistake rugby but not have the finish to win the big games. From what I had heard Churchie were hoping their forwards would be a force but from all reports of the BBC game this didn't happen. Maybe the TSS game will provide a better indication of where ACGS is at for the season ahead. May pop over to have a look.

Hennon George

Frank Row (1)
I would like to take this time to formally apologize to the Green and Gold rugby community for the previous immature comments about topics that should never have been discussed. I understand that I may not be forgiven but I really hope I can have a second chance of being in the community. I wish all first XV teams luck for their fixtures this weekend, all punters luck in their tips, and all old boys luck in their respective schools. Keen for the first round of GPS rugby. I am so proud to be part of this strong community and cannot wait to build legacy and culture. Thank you.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
C’mon ..

Terrace basically have 7 of 1-9 returning and have a better skill player in Ed Hiley over Ezikiel. Ed should be throwing too seeing as though that was a major issue in set piece last year . The scrum won’t be all that - granted, but the lineout should be good enough if Ed Hiley throws with Boyle and Emarley as main targets

With Boyle , Nasser , Woodward , Emarley , and Chambers back through the pack and Davis guiding / game managing at 9 - there is more than enough for the Terrace Centres to compete against and prove themselves against top line midfields from other Schools.

It’s not a Coaching issue either anymore as was pointed to over the last few years as to what the issue has been. Terrace have a truckload of 18 year olds (6 in their pack and at No 9)

I hope so.

A

Aussie Luke

C’mon ..

I'd never write off Terrace. They were pretty strong last year and if they have all these players returning they should be very solid. Perhaps they knock off one of the big dogs.