• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2021

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi Countryjack

Do you have the list for the Reds U18 squad. I cannot find it on the website.

Thanks

Sorry no. Just what Syrus and other TSS boys told me.I know they are all very impressed with the NC 5 and say he is great player /great kid. Nc 9 is also a talent they say. I think it is BBC 15 that Thorn moved up( the one with the massive boot on him)

I predict 3 way tie -with BBC playing both TSS & NC away.

Lammy

Allen Oxlade (6)
B&G and others talking up ACGS -but their 16 As were average and they only have 5 or so back,'who are these new boys from NZ?
How many ?
what positions?.
If you go by numbers in the Qld under 18 squad the top 3 are :
BBC 7
NC 6
TSS. 5
TSS boys tell me one of BBC boys moved up to senior squad ?? anyone know ?
My Early predictions for stars of comp are BBC 15 Taj/ NC 13 Rob T and TSS 15 (signed by Titans).
Think Churchie will be stronger this year.. but have 2022 in their sights rather than 2021

A

Aussie Luke

They're part of the GPS system and have a proud history of participation, performance and development of players who have gone on to higher honours. Their leadership have realised that the huge focus on rugby by many, including all of us, can have a detrimental impact on some of their students.
They're worth watching and you can do it if you drive out to where they're playing.

In my opinion it is a a shame that there is this sort of thinking i.e. that sport is not equally as important to a person's education as sitting by oneself in a room studying. Detrimental? The very top British, European and American schools place equal importance on sport (and community service) in the development of the apex man and I think subjugating sport creates a less resilient individual who is less equipped to meet the challenges of the real world. I am glad Rugby was a part of my education and almost all of the people of success I deal with are from rugby backgrounds, both back in Australia and in Europe and the UK.

A

Aussie Luke

An excerpt from the CM today re BBC.
"The prestigious Brisbane Boys’ College is in danger of being turned into a “rugby academy” as influential old boys lobby for a significant increase in sporting scholarships.

A disgruntled staff member has written to The Courier-Mail outlining a number of concerns about the Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association’s governance of the 119-year-old Toowong GPS college.
The teacher also separately criticised the management style of its outgoing principal Paul Brown, who has dismissed the claims against him and defended his time at the school.
In an unsigned letter, the teacher said turning BBC into “some sort of rugby academy”, as old boys were allegedly pushing for, “would not go down well with the staff”.
“There is obviously concern about what direction the ‘new’ PMSA wants BBC to take, with a new headmaster.”
The Courier-Mail understands BBC already has one of the highest percentages of sportingscholarships in Australia."
I always laugh when mates who went to BBC, Churchie etc claim that Nudgee have a higher number of sporting scholarships that the other GPS schools (when I know for a fact they don't).
The rugby culture, the brotherhood, the traditions, the ceremony and the love for the school is what makes a rugby school, rather than how many sporting scholarships the school hands out. Having said that, I hope BBC continue to give rugby the focus it deserves so that there is more depth and rugby rivalry in the GPS. It's a great school and it's unique. It would be a shame if these anti-rugby people got there way there at BBC after making such admirable progress.
Long live rugby!

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
An excerpt from the CM today re BBC.
"The prestigious Brisbane Boys’ College is in danger of being turned into a “rugby academy” as influential old boys lobby for a significant increase in sporting scholarships.

A disgruntled staff member has written to The Courier-Mail outlining a number of concerns about the Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association’s governance of the 119-year-old Toowong GPS college.
The teacher also separately criticised the management style of its outgoing principal Paul Brown, who has dismissed the claims against him and defended his time at the school.
In an unsigned letter, the teacher said turning BBC into “some sort of rugby academy”, as old boys were allegedly pushing for, “would not go down well with the staff”.
“There is obviously concern about what direction the ‘new’ PMSA wants BBC to take, with a new headmaster.”
The Courier-Mail understands BBC already has one of the highest percentages of sportingscholarships in Australia."
I always laugh when mates who went to BBC, Churchie etc claim that Nudgee have a higher number of sporting scholarships that the other GPS schools (when I know for a fact they don't).
The rugby culture, the brotherhood, the traditions, the ceremony and the love for the school is what makes a rugby school, rather than how many sporting scholarships the school hands out. Having said that, I hope BBC continue to give rugby the focus it deserves so that there is more depth and rugby rivalry in the GPS. It's a great school and it's unique. It would be a shame if these anti-rugby people got there way there at BBC after making such admirable progress.
Long live rugby!

This is a case of don’t believe everything you read in the papers. The Courier Mail has clearly got it in for BBC at the moment. Nothing but negative story after negative story.

Why wouldn’t a school like BBC allow some talented kids who may not be able to afford the fees the opportunity to attend on an academic, cultural or sporting scholarship. Seems to me that the school should be striving for excellence in all fields, which should include heaven forbid a great rugby Rugby program.

There is no doubt that all schools offer some scholarships, or bursaries for Rugby, or whatever you want to call them. I really don’t see the issue with this as they are great for those fortunate kids.

Those of us that love rugby should be hoping that all schools put a focus on the sport as it really could use all the help it can get, particularly outside of the traditional power house schools like Nudgee.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
This is a case of don’t believe everything you read in the papers. The Courier Mail has clearly got it in for BBC at the moment. Nothing but negative story after negative story.

Why wouldn’t a school like BBC allow some talented kids who may not be able to afford the fees the opportunity to attend on an academic, cultural or sporting scholarship. Seems to me that the school should be striving for excellence in all fields, which should include heaven forbid a great rugby Rugby program.

There is no doubt that all schools offer some scholarships, or bursaries for Rugby, or whatever you want to call them. I really don’t see the issue with this as they are great for those fortunate kids.

Those of us that love rugby should be hoping that all schools put a focus on the sport as it really could use all the help it can get, particularly outside of the traditional power house schools like Nudgee.

Articles written in the bronco mail by struggling journalist quoting disgruntled parent masking behind an unsigned letter - seriously???

A

Aussie Luke

Articles written in the bronco mail by struggling journalist quoting disgruntled parent masking behind an unsigned letter - seriously???

I couldn't agree more and there really does seem to be some sort of weird hit squad out on BBC at the moment at the CM.

Bring on the Halley Appleby Cup!

Digby2016

Ward Prentice (10)
I couldn't agree more and there really does seem to be some sort of weird hit squad out on BBC at the moment at the CM.

Bring on the Halley Appleby Cup!

Dear All

You are correct.
Fact 1 -a senior person at CM had a son who had issues with the previous HM at BBC and left in grade 10;
Fact 2 -the journalist has/had a son at anther GPS School( see the comment section in the articles);
Fact 3 the journalist is a friend of one of the BBC staff "shown the Door"-who keeps feeding her info( 'the inside source)

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)

There under 13 and under 14 A teams both came 8th -so they cant be too serious about it

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
I am a TSS supporter. But as my nephew at BBC pointed out -they have 4 boys in the just announced Wallabies squad-3 of whom are from the bush/outside Brisbane.Banks/Swain/Ikatau/Hosea.

So I say keep up the good work attracting quality rugby players .

The Engine Room

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm all in for offering young men opportunities to attend our wonderful GPS schools but it's become a ridiculous arms race again (fueled by influential and affluent old boys and others) and at the expense of other sports in the GPS program. I like the notion of equity across sports and cultural scholarships which are monitored and measured by an NCAA (US College athletics governance function) type body. The GPS Headmasters could potentially do this but I was think some Probity assurance is required to ensure the process is followed. We don't want to replicate the dysfunction of Sydney GPS rugby competition which went down this "hired guns" pathway.

We all love rugby BUT I love competitive rugby more.

Reds Revival

Stan Wickham (3)
A a former teacher at a GPS school -I find it interesting that the huge number of academic /music scholarships ( vastly more than sport) are never in issue.
If you took the number of academic scholarships at the top 2 ranked GPS schools in academics they would dwarf the number of all schools rugby scholarships.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)

I don't disagree, but the obvious retort is that scholarships push up the fees for all other parents, including those who are making significant sacrifices to send their kids to a prestigious school. I think ultimately the exact situation you describe is what most people/parents are supportive of, giving opportunity to a select few talented kids to get access to the cultural and learning environment of a GPS school that would otherwise be inaccessible.

But select few is the key.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
I don't disagree, but the obvious retort is that scholarships push up the fees for all other parents, including those who are making significant sacrifices to send their kids to a prestigious school. I think ultimately the exact situation you describe is what most people/parents are supportive of, giving opportunity to a select few talented kids to get access to the cultural and learning environment of a GPS school that would otherwise be inaccessible.

But select few is the key.

i may be wrong but I had expressed the same concern about scholarships inflating school fees (and keeping paying parents children’s out of top teams) and I was advised the BBC scholarship programme (which I agree is very large) is predominantly funded by the estate of a deceased past pupil of significant wealth.

A

Aussie Luke

Okay, we got the annual scholarships are bad/good chat done and dusted early this year so we can now get down to the rugby chat.

I'm not hearing much about TSS but I can only assume they must be one of the favorites also this year albeit not as strong as the last few years.

A

Aussie Luke

Dear All

You are correct.
Fact 1 -a senior person at CM had a son who had issues with the previous HM at BBC and left in grade 10;
Fact 2 -the journalist has/had a son at anther GPS School( see the comment section in the articles);
Fact 3 the journalist is a friend of one of the BBC staff "shown the Door"-who keeps feeding her info( 'the inside source)

Yes, this journalist has skin in the game at Terrace and All Hallows and is always writing that these two schools are the top two schools in the state, and constantly downs BBC and Churchie and never has anything positive to say about Nudgee. Pretty poor to be honest and she's written another hit piece on Churchie today. Essentially, anything from this journalist should be ignored.

TheRed

Allen Oxlade (6)
A a former teacher at a GPS school -I find it interesting that the huge number of academic /music scholarships ( vastly more than sport) are never in issue.
If you took the number of academic scholarships at the top 2 ranked GPS schools in academics they would dwarf the number of all schools rugby scholarships.

This is exactly my thinking. No body questions schools offering an academic scholarship but if it is for rugby then there is something wrong with the system? All of the GPS schools should be trying to achieve excellence in all fields, academic, music, cultural and sporting. This absolutely should include offering a great rugby program.

There are very few sports or activities at the schools which can attract crowds of 5,000 to 10,000 spectators regularly to games, plus generate the level of media and social media interest as GPS Rugby. So why wouldn’t schools want to attract talented kids to join their fee paying students.