• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld GPS Rugby 2022

DRFC

Frank Nicholson (4)
Was going to use my head and tails winning speech but don’t want to upset Mr Atmosphere after his team lost again due to no doubt lack of support I’m guessing.
Great game of schoolboy rugby today in wet conditions. IGS just keep getting stronger and stronger every game. IGS forwards again were outstanding. My MOTM came from the forwards in their captain Kendall.
IGS Flyhalf Hocking again had the game on a string and was as cool as a cucumber when under pressure.

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
surely its time to have the tough conversation about "Relegation" and getting better competition for the sport so as too improve it at senior level. I see GT got beat by downloads today. Surely we need to start giving schools like downloads, Ashgrove, St Lawrences etc a chance at GPS level and eliminating the teams that aren't performing. Otherwise they have no reason to improve there rugby programs. Its only going to get worse, and to get better you need your kids playing the top quality players.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
surely its time to have the tough conversation about "Relegation" and getting better competition for the sport so as too improve it at senior level. I see GT got beat by downloads today. Surely we need to start giving schools like downloads, Ashgrove, St Lawrences etc a chance at GPS level and eliminating the teams that aren't performing. Otherwise they have no reason to improve there rugby programs. Its only going to get worse, and to get better you need your kids playing the top quality players.
You understand teams rarely play their strongest team against Downlands ?

The Terrace team that played yesterday was a mixture of 1st and 2nds players, roughly 50/50. The GT 3rd XV played the Downlands 2nd XV

The GT 16a’s had a game against NC , as NC were playing BGS who don’t have a 16a’s, while the GT 16b’s played Downlands in a very competitive game that was decided by an intercept try.

The GPS association is a little more than a 9 week rugby season, it’s not the EPL.

Here’s the run sheet for the day if you are interested , you really want one game per age group for a GPS comp?

Attachments

• 76A293C5-6A26-49DF-8B4B-03C2DB39B561.jpeg
    76A293C5-6A26-49DF-8B4B-03C2DB39B561.jpeg
    698.8 KB · Views: 199

Ear

Peter Burge (5)
They would never change the GPS schools but be interesting to see some sort of schoolboy cup that involved other schools. Maybe a pre-Season comp.

human

Bob McCowan (2)
Perhaps a better idea is to relegate those schools who do not achieve at least 10% of seniors gaining a 99.00 or better ATAR. That way, those who think that rugby is the most important thing in GPS can continue doing so.

KFC

Allen Oxlade (6)
You understand teams rarely play their strongest team against Downlands ?

The Terrace team that played yesterday was a mixture of 1st and 2nds players, roughly 50/50. The GT 3rd XV played the Downlands 2nd XV

The GT 16a’s had a game against NC , as NC were playing BGS who don’t have a 16a’s, while the GT 16b’s played Downlands in a very competitive game that was decided by an intercept try.

The GPS association is a little more than a 9 week rugby season, it’s not the EPL.

Here’s the run sheet for the day if you are interested , you really want one game per age group for a GPS comp?
From that run sheet GT can field 32 teams each week. That is amazing given they don’t have a blade of grass on campus.

Well what an enjoyable weekend of Rugby and I am happy with my predictions even if I was slightly out.

BSHS have shown in parts that they still have back bone and held the surging IGS , scoreless deep into the first half until the IGS started to rumble and once those centres start to get a head of steam up, the BSHS team went flying in all directions. Still BSHS is one of the few schools who can match IGS Physical presence and were able to do this, some of the game. BSHS will not be a "giveme " by the end of the season, if they maintain the rage. Encouragement award to BSHS - IGS deserved the win. They are becoming a real handful.

TSS ripped BBC to bits at Miskin. Many of the younger inner western suburb (" affectionately known as the The Fibro Westies" ) lads rated highly the Miskin Ambush scenario on their social media "Tik Tok" Bla Bla dance routines but it was not to be. TSS who in my mind have been incredibly disappointing this season, decided to find some form and well BBC maybe joining GT and the likes, in a fight for the wooden table cutlery at the end of the season. Last weeks stella performance in the last 10min of the Nudgee game, gave me reason to lend some weight to the Miskin revival, but they let themselves down, and TSS pounced without mercy. I hate to say it, but perhaps BBC maybe about to take a break from competitive XV rugby. TSS - I was unimpressed with their effort and finally I can give TSS some acknowledgement for a job well done. They should be a serious contender.

Well , the TGS V Churchie game turned out as I expected. TGS looked the flattest I had seen that team play and as I commented previously, they must be weary. They were still competitive but Churchie just looked in control at all times. To me Churchie seems to pick a gear to play in each week, which is always just enough to get the job done and thats about it- they don't waste energy. They however seems to have an ability to also lift the tempo of the game at Will, and to me only the TSS defence has been able to repel that Tempo , when they launch. TGS should be proud of what they have achieved this year, but as I forecasted, the 60 min was the turning point when Churchie demonstrated the difference between the two teams, and pick up another big win , announcing loud and clear , they have premiership ambition. Still hard games ahead for them so they will keep a lid on things and.......as they say on NRL interviews..... " one week at a time"

BGS- what happened? You had the Polar Bears on Toast in the first Half. Nudgee had the look of ..... "Oh no, not another team of Nobodies playing out of their skin at Ross" Its the " Greene" Ghost" I tell you. Nudgee continued to look outplayed , fatigued and just not interested anymore in that first half. It was as if someone had kicked over their sandcastle on the Nudgee beach a week or so ago, and they just wanted to go home. BGS halfback broke the line and put that ankle breaker on the Nudgee defence before scooting to the line for a memorable try. I thought at that stage Nudgee waterboys would hand out Tissues rather than water bottles. But you must give credit to Nudgee, With the score showing BGS LEADING 13-12 at half time, they came out a different team in the second half and made a super special effort to throw the BGS upstarts. Still BGS showed enough in the First half why so many had given them a chance, and whilst not a TGS or Churchie performance , where the Nudgee teams feet were firmly bought back to earth, BGS did make their statement to show that even they dictate respect from a Nudgee team, who at the beginning of the Season , thought There was them, then Daylight to the next best team......... now they have been finding out the facts. All teams this year dictate respect and last years reputation should be taught ONLY in Ancient History Class.

I do hope "The Season" are following the Nudgee Movie Stars again , this year. It may show the world how the GPS rugby depth extends well beyond the Mudflats at the back of Banyo to the other schools too. Its the closest competition this year, in many years - good for the game.

So now we are up to round 6 , with the Premiership still wide open. So Nudgee and Churchie are at the top of the table with a Bye up their sleeves with TSS ( had their Bye ) and IGS breathing down their necks. BGS and TGS with GT, BBC and BSHS fighting to avoid the spoon.

Lets look at the prospects of the leading schools

Nudgee have BSHS at Ross next week and then the BIG derby at Tennyson where GT grows another leg for this game. and then IGS at Brassell and then a last week BYE.

Churchie get a week off next week to refresh, Then BBC at Main oval, Then BGS at Main Oval , Then BSHS at BSHS to finalise to the season.

TSS Play BGS at BGS next weekend,Then BSHS at Shark Park,Then GT at Shark Park, then IGS at Brassell.

I won't go any further down the table, but NOTE that both TSS and NC have IGS as their last games at BRASSELL

With the remaining games now unpacked above , I would love predictions on how this season will end...... over to you.

Last edited:

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Well what an enjoyable weekend of Rugby and I am happy with my predictions even if I was slightly out.

BSHS have shown in parts that they still have back bone and held the surging IGS , scoreless deep into the first half until the IGS started to rumble and once those centres start to get a head of steam up, the BSHS team went flying in all directions. Still BSHS is one of the few schools who can match IGS Physical presence and were able to do this, some of the game. BSHS will not be a "giveme " by the end of the season, if they maintain the rage. Encouragement award to BSHS - IGS deserved the win. They are becoming a real handful.

TSS ripped BBC to bits at Miskin. Many of the younger inner western suburb (" affectionately known as the The Fibro Westies" ) lads rated highly the Miskin Ambush scenario on their social media "Tik Tok" Bla Bla dance routines but it was not to be. TSS who in my mind have been incredibly disappointing this season, decided to find some form and well BBC maybe joining GT and the likes, in a fight for the wooden table cutlery at the end of the season. Last weeks stella performance in the last 10min of the Nudgee game, gave me reason to lend some weight to the Miskin revival, but they let themselves down, and TSS pounced without mercy. I hate to say it, but perhaps BBC maybe about to take a break from competitive XV rugby. TSS - I was unimpressed with their effort and finally I can give TSS some acknowledgement for a job well done. They should be a serious contender.

Well , the TGS V Churchie game turned out as I expected. TGS looked the flattest I had seen that team play and as I commented previously, they must be weary. They were still competitive but Churchie just looked in control at all times. To me Churchie seems to pick a gear to play in each week, which is always just enough to get the job done and thats about it- they don't waste energy. They however seems to have an ability to also lift the tempo of the game at Will, and to me only the TSS defence has been able to repel that Tempo , when they launch. TGS should be proud of what they have achieved this year, but as I forecasted, the 60 min was the turning point when Churchie demonstrated the difference between the two teams, and pick up another big win , announcing loud and clear , they have premiership ambition. Still hard games ahead for them so they will keep a lid on things and.......as they say on NRL interviews..... " one week at a time"

BGS- what happened? You had the Polar Bears on Toast in the first Half. Nudgee had the look of ..... "Oh no, not another team of Nobodies playing out of their skin at Ross" Its the " Greene" Ghost" I tell you. Nudgee continued to look outplayed , fatigued and just not interested anymore in that first half. It was as if someone had kicked over their sandcastle on the Nudgee beach a week or so ago, and they just wanted to go home. BGS halfback broke the line and put that ankle breaker on the Nudgee defence before scooting to the line for a memorable try. I thought at that stage Nudgee waterboys would hand out Tissues rather than water bottles. But you must give credit to Nudgee, With the score showing BGS LEADING 13-12 at half time, they came out a different team in the second half and made a super special effort to throw the BGS upstarts. Still BGS showed enough in the First half why so many had given them a chance, and whilst not a TGS or Churchie performance , where the Nudgee teams feet were firmly bought back to earth, BGS did make their statement to show that even they dictate respect from a Nudgee team, who at the beginning of the Season , thought There was them, then Daylight to the next best team......... now they have been finding out the facts. All teams this year dictate respect and last years reputation should be taught ONLY in Ancient History Class.

I do hope "The Season" are following the Nudgee Movie Stars again , this year. It may show the world how the GPS rugby depth extends well beyond the Mudflats at the back of Banyo to the other schools too. Its the closest competition this year, in many years - good for the game.

So now we are up to round 6 , with the Premiership still wide open. So Nudgee and Churchie are at the top of the table with a Bye up their sleeves with TSS ( had their Bye ) and IGS breathing down their necks. BGS and TGS with GT, BBC and BSHS fighting to avoid the spoon.

Lets look at the prospects of the leading schools

Nudgee have BSHS at Ross next week and then the BIG derby at Tennyson where GT grows another leg for this game. and then IGS at Brassell and then a last week BYE.

Churchie get a week off next week to refresh, Then BBC at Main oval, Then BGS at Main Oval , Then BSHS at BSHS to finalise to the season.

TSS Play BGS at BGS next weekend,Then BSHS at Shark Park,Then GT at Shark Park, then IGS at Brassell.

I won't go any further down the table, but NOTE that both TSS and NC have IGS as their last games at BRASSELL

With the remaining games now unpacked above , I would love predictions on how this season will end...... over to you.
Possible 3 way Shared Premiership.
ACGS/TSS/NC

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Perhaps a better idea is to relegate those schools who do not achieve at least 10% of seniors gaining a 99.00 or better ATAR. That way, those who think that rugby is the most important thing in GPS can continue doing so.
Umm? This is a rugby forum isn’t it? I’m sure there is a brainiac forum you can go to and discuss ATAR’s

SonicRaider

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know the record for tries in a gps season?? Because Nudgee hooker Will Rogers has picked up 9. All off the back of rolling mauls, showing just how dominant the nudgee forwards have been this year.

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Bit crazy that it’s even getting a mention in one of the most even comps we’ve seen in years .
Bit crazy that it’s even getting a mention in one of the most even comps we’ve seen in year
This is the problem, you make a suggestion and everyone wants to disagree straight away. It may be an even competition, but the standard is poor, possibly the worst I have seen in a long time. As I stated 5 weeks ago the BBC game and GT game was deplorable. Since then my view has been justified with neither team winning a game.The sport is never going to get better if we keep doing the same thing. Saturday night the wallabies got pumped, and my long term view is for the betterment of the sport. Everyone gets defensive and can't have the tough conversations required. Then you get idiots who make the "default" comment about ATAR. Seriously!!! What I proposed was to change the landscape so as to make the competition better. If you dont agree with the relegation thing, then come up with a better scenario. But dont sit there and play devils advocate. I bet if relegation was on the cards then rugby programs would improve. And for the record try and be sensible. over to you.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

This is the problem, you make a suggestion and everyone wants to disagree straight away. It may be an even competition, but the standard is poor, possibly the worst I have seen in a long time. As I stated 5 weeks ago the BBC game and GT game was deplorable. Since then my view has been justified with neither team winning a game.The sport is never going to get better if we keep doing the same thing. Saturday night the wallabies got pumped, and my long term view is for the betterment of the sport. Everyone gets defensive and can't have the tough conversations required. Then you get idiots who make the "default" comment about ATAR. Seriously!!! What I proposed was to change the landscape so as to make the competition better. If you dont agree with the relegation thing, then come up with a better scenario. But dont sit there and play devils advocate. I bet if relegation was on the cards then rugby programs would improve. And for the record try and be sensible. over to you.

Just think the step from schoolboy to successful pro player (super rugby or test match) is too far in one jump. Hence why I advocate we tone down over promotion of schoolboy rugby and its superstars. We need to be funnelling these talents through a development process (clubland).

As devils advocate, you wouldn't get the schoolboy with A levels in woodwork to build you a house the year he left school. You would expect he did an apprenticeship and maybe a little business study to become the builder you expect perfection from.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The GPS Rugby comp is an opportunity for students who attend a GPS school to play rugby , the very same way it is with all other GPS sports/competitions. It's not the GPS association's responsibility to develop rugby players, it's to educate. Pathways may have become reliant on the sports programs that GPS schools run, but that is not unique to rugby.

I know this is a rugby forum, but how to justify "relegate" a school from the GPS association based on one sport? The school year is full of them.

When I was at school Nudgee didn't row, don't think TGS still do, going to "relegate" a school over rowing, or tennis, or chess?

I provided a run sheet of the Terrace v Downlands round and could for every round to date. Terrace have 32 teams that the school attempts to organise a game for every Saturday during Term 3. That's what is about, an opportunity for kids to play sport. It's not the schools' responsibility to develop the game even though the game does benefit from what the schools do.

Over to you

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
The GPS Rugby comp is an opportunity for students who attend a GPS school to play rugby , the very same way it is with all other GPS sports/competitions. It's not the GPS association's responsibility to develop rugby players, it's to educate. Pathways may have become reliant on the sports programs that GPS schools run, but that is not unique to rugby.

I know this is a rugby forum, but how to justify "relegate" a school from the GPS association based on one sport? The school year is full of them.

When I was at school Nudgee didn't row, don't think TGS still do, going to "relegate" a school over rowing, or tennis, or chess?

I provided a run sheet of the Terrace v Downlands round and could for every round to date. Terrace have 32 teams that the school attempts to organise a game for every Saturday during Term 3. That's what is about, an opportunity for kids to play sport. It's not the schools' responsibility to develop the game even though the game does benefit from what the schools do.

Over to you
I am not talking about relegating the school. I am talking about relegating them for that sport (been rugby).

Dcarter

Frank Nicholson (4)
And GPS is more than rugby of course…
What I am suggesting is TAS moves rugby to term 3. then we run 2 competitions in parallel. Lets call them GPS white and GPS red. In GPS white is the current GPS schools and in GPS red is schools such as downlands, Ashgrove, st pauls etc. And run it like that, with the bottom 3 teams in GPS white getting relegated and the top 3 in GPS red getting promoted. thoughts? come on hurl the abuse.

Over to you
That's what is about, an opportunity for kids to play sport. It's not the schools' responsibility to develop the game even though the game does benefit from what the schools do.

Good Argument