• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Queensland Rugby Statement

Queensland Rugby would like to make the following statement about an incident that has taken place at a Premier Grade club rugby match between GPS and University of Queensland today.

During play a University of Queensland player was tackled which resulted in a loss of consciousness and required immediate medical intervention.

Queensland Rugby Doctor Greg Smith was among a team of medical officers that administered CPR on the field before ambulances arrived and took appropriate action in transporting the player to hospital.

At this stage Queensland Rugby is not in a position to make any further comment until expert medical opinion and an update on the player’s condition has been received.

ENDS

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
University player Halley Appleby hospitalised after injury in rugby union match at Ashgrove

CRITICAL: University hooker Halley Appleby is in intensive care after a suspected heart attack in a rugby game yesterday. Source: Supplied
A FOOTBALLER is fighting for his life after a freak accident during a rugby union match at Ashgrove, Brisbane, yesterday.

Halley Appleby had a promising football career, but last night lay in the intensive care unit at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital with suspected spinal injuries.

The 21-year-old University hooker reportedly suffered a heart attack after a tackle in the A-grade clash against home side GPS.

A Department of Community Safety spokeswoman said Mr Appleby was unconscious and not breathing when ambulance officers arrived shortly after 4pm.

The officers performed CPR to keep him alive.

Paramedics and club official set up white screens around the injured player while they treated him on the ground.

He was placed on a stretcher and transferred to a nearby ambulance.

Other players and spectators were visibly upset by the emergency.

Police attended the ground and took statements from witnesses.

Coach Mick Heenan said Mr Appleby, who has played for the UQ club for more than four years, had run on to the field minutes before the accident to replace another player.

"It will be some days before we know what the outcome is," Mr Heenan said.

"He's not breathing by himself, but he's alive and that's a positive thing. He sustained a significant injury and they are not able to operate because there is too much swelling or too much blood around the brain. They need to wait."

Mr Heenan said teammates were rallying around the seriously injured player.

"It's a traumatic event for everyone and everyone's thoughts and prayers are with Halley," Mr Heenan said.

"He's only a young bloke. He's a good young man. There was nothing illegal about the tackle, it was just accidental."

Friends last night posted well wishes on Facebook, including Ben Wedlock who wrote: "Mate you will pull through. Thinking of you Hal. Love brother."

Adam Garred wrote: "Hold in there mate, thoughts are with you", while Ian Prior wrote: "Hope you get better Hal, you of all people can pull through this mate. Thoughts are with you and your family."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...atch-at-ashgrove/story-e6frepm6-1226095889537

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
i was at the match yesterday when it happened and quite honestly it was the most traumatic thing i think i have ever witnessed on a rugby field. from my recollection the young man was hit very very hard by a gps players and from there as the play moved on he was laying prone, face down on the pitch. you knew things were bad were he didnt move - bar some shaking of legs at one point - and when they brought out the neck brace for him but at no stage could anyone, i think, envision what happened following once he was receiving treatment. i truly hope he can pull through it, i know a lot of gps boys have been affected by the events.
to my knowledge the club has arranged for the boys to see a trauma counsellor to have a CID of the events of yesterday.
my thoughts go out to the young man and hope beyond all hope that he pulls through...

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
It's recently been confirmed that Halley has passed away in hospital.
Thoughts and prayers go out to Halley's friends, family and team-mates for their loss during such an emotional time.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Hey all. I won't be saying much on this subject as there aren't enough words to express what I'm feeling at the moment (and I can't speak on behalf of others involved).

Just wanted to ask everyone to also spare a thought and a prayer for the GPS boys at this time while you're thinking of Uni and the Applebys. They will be going through hell too. Uni v GPS is always a good, clean, hard & physical game and yesterday's games were no different.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
His family would like people to know he donated his organs and helped 5 people live better lives. Exactly the type of bloke he is.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Absolutely shocking news about this lad. Tragic accident. Everyone was praying for a better outcome but it was not to be. Thoughts are with his family and friends, and the UQ rugby community. I'm sure the GPS boys will be devastated as well.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Easts ground out a 27-15 win against the Gold Coast at Bottomley Park. Three tries only meant no bonus point but the win keeps the Tigers at the top of the table. Hard to pick standouts as it was a pretty dour sort of game. There were a couple of unfamiliar (to me anyway) young backs who found space and featured in the try of the game to Easts. Young prop for the Reds academy, bermingham came on, he's a decent sized bloke and Cayden Matahere, a young fellow who was all the talk a few years back, made his debut for the Coast. Thought Butler looked good for the visitors.

Matahere dabbled in league earlier in the year and has returned from the dark side

W

What2040

Matahere dabbled in league earlier in the year and has returned from the dark side

Report from the coast is that Matahare needed as Breakers deficient at 10. Thery tried a colts lad - failed badly - also Matahare went pretty well

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Interesting to see if Matahare managed a clearance from Sunnybank. I guess he must have if he played.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting to see if Matahare managed a clearance from Sunnybank. I guess he must have if he played.

Did they have any competition points to lose? If they only scored 15 points and were beaten by 8. I know it's not the point, but just doing the maths...

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Did they have any competition points to lose? If they only scored 15 points and were beaten by 8. I know it's not the point, but just doing the maths...

I mean, if they played him without clearance. Sorry if it was unclear - sleep deprived

Status
Not open for further replies.