• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012 Tipping Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Most of us struggled this week with all bar one of us expecting Uni to do a job on GPS and quite a few expecting the Breakers to get up.
Banker must have been sure of his tips this week as he entered them 3 times but it paid off for him as he tipped the perfect round to fly up the ladder and now sits in 4th place.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
After seeing the Brumbies and now Magnussen fail to deliver when it counts I am feeling a little nervous sitting at the top for so long. But will learn from their lessons and won't get complacent. Who's coming after me?

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
ECA you are way too far out in front.
What luck - I have signed you up a coach who recently finalised his contractual obligations with the Chinese badminton team and is now available.
He'll be in touch.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Everyone expected the Dragon's to get over the Students this week so 4/5 was the best of the round by a few of us. A couple of people moved down as they forget to tip, Rugby Reg, and Mr Timms almost confirmed last place by doing the same, although another 30 so people have tipped at some stage during the year and just stopped.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Jets did you count my tips that i posted at 301pm.. I think i entered my name as osuthernX because i was in such a rush.

im happy if they dont count. Should be a rule they are not valid after kickoff. But i started before the klickoff... It was close

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Being that you only tipped 2/5 I am guessing that you didn't cheat. Was happy to count them.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Everyone expected the Dragon's to get over the Students this week so 4/5 was the best of the round by a few of us. A couple of people moved down as they forget to tip, Rugby Reg, and Mr Timms almost confirmed last place by doing the same, although another 30 so people have tipped at some stage during the year and just stopped.

I wasn't sure if I had put them in or not. Geez missing putting them in makes it tough...

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
I know this is easy for me to suggest because I am not the one giving up my free time to administer this tipping competition, but is it possible to default a participant's tips to the home ( or away) team in the event of unsubmitted tips?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
As someone who has paid the price of missing tips, I say no tips, no points. If you miss it, it's your fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I could do that but some weeks guys would do better by not putting in there tips. For next year I am looking at doing margins on games and may have a default option for those that don't tip. Also might have an option for people who start late that they start with the same points as the person on the bottom of the ladder.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I could do that but some weeks guys would do better by not putting in there tips. For next year I am looking at doing margins on games and may have a default option for those that don't tip. Also might have an option for people who start late that they start with the same points as the person on the bottom of the ladder.

Instead of margins may I suggest confidence points.

You must put 5 to 1 points next to the game you feel most confident about

so for example 5 points for game i feel most confident about 1 point for the game i feel lease confident about.

Wests v Norths - Wests 5
souths v Easts - Easts 4
Gold Coast v Sunny Coast - Gold Coast 3
Brothers v GPS - Brothers 2
Uni v Sunnybank - Sunnybank 1

if Wests, East, sunntCoast, Brothers & Uni all won then id only get 11(5+4+2)

this format is good because if your a good tipster and you start late your still in it with a chance

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As someone who has paid the price of missing tips, I say no tips, no points. If you miss it, it's your fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I would like to agree with this, but because the competition throws up too few upsets or tough games to tip, it makes it very hard to catch up. Out of all the ideas above I think the best way to go is for people who forget to tip get either the worst result from the round or all away teams as a default.

I'm not a fan of tipping the score or the margin as I think that is irrelevant, You either win or lose. By 1 point or 100 points. The margin isn't a true reflection on anything. The best team always win.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I like the concept of every game with 1 team getting a start (eg 7.5) as is standard practice on betting sites. It makes every game a challenge to pick.
Otherwise there's hardly any movement on the table.
And I'd be happy for anyone new to pick up the points of the last placed tipper as a starting point. The more the merrier.
Unfortunately the much mooted vehicular prize has yet to materialise so we're only playing for bragging rights.
Obviously this would be all for next year ECA.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I will talk to some people in the know and see if I can get some Reds paraphernalia for the winner (what size are you ECA?). Could even get it signed by some of the Reds if it comes off.
If I think about the comp early enough next year I am sure a prize could be sourced. I have been spending my allocated G&GR budget on extravagant lunches and exotic entertainers but I am sure I can put some towards a prize.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I will talk to some people in the know and see if I can get some Reds paraphernalia for the winner (what size are you ECA?). Could even get it signed by some of the Reds if it comes off.
If I think about the comp early enough next year I am sure a prize could be sourced. I have been spending my allocated G&GR budget on extravagant lunches and exotic entertainers but I am sure I can put some towards a prize.

Size M or L. A ticket to the wallabies would be nice though. Try and get onto Total Sports Travel to sponsor it Jets, like the sponsor the Reds player of the year. I'd love a trip to the Ashes or end of season tour.

Until a prize is putting in place though, I am going to get my moneys worth of this bragging rights stuff. Although I will probably be the tipping comp champion for longer then the All Blacks have been bledisloe champs

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Until a prize is putting in place though, I am going to get my moneys worth of this bragging rights stuff.

I would think that, in view of the time of year, something of a golden hue that could be worn around one's neck would be more appropriate.
I mean the comp is open to the world, so the winner naturally becomes the World Champion.
The presentation ceremony could be incorporated into the Grand Final entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.