• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I dont know if there is any map like that Timmsy.

Would be interesting though, apart from Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast, who would have the biggest catchment area? GPS? Sunnybank?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I know it isn't as clear cut as an election or council zones, but I guess something like this:

Capture.JPG

Except obviously showing clubs and their home ground locations as a dot or something.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS catchment area is fairly large and would be the closest club for the inner city boys private schools where rugby is played (Boys Grammar, Gregory Terrace) and of course Marist College Ashgrove. Thats three fairly large and rugby significant schools to draw players from as a starting point. Also there seems to be a growing number of BBC lads coming through in colts in recent years despite them being geographically closer to Wests. I know obviously schools aren't the only place players are recruited from but it does help when establishing numbers.

Also I believe I read somewhere (dont quote me) that player wise the junior club is one of the largest in the entire southern hemisphere.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Actually yeh maybe - i'm not very good with maths ie distances, i'm just making my comments based on player mix currently at the club.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I have a feeling that the Wahroonga Tigers are the biggest juniors club in the southern hemisphere.(Sydney team)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Looking forward to the season starting next week. Eats v Brothers should be a corker! Dallan Murphy at this level goes very well and his battle with Matt Brandon will be interesting. I never underestimate the Filth but Easts have a very promising squad this year so I hope they kick some butt.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Looking forward to the season starting next week. Eats v Brothers should be a corker! Dallan Murphy at this level goes very well and his battle with Matt Brandon will be interesting. I never underestimate the Filth but Easts have a very promising squad this year so I hope they kick some butt.

Looking forward to next Saturday. Need to move on from the game at Suncorp last night.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Looking forward to next Saturday. Need to move on from the game at Suncorp last night.
Agreed, Easts are now my main focus, watching QLD is a bit too difficult right now.
Also heres a match report from the Easts website from the last trial against Norths
Easts finished their pre-season trial matches with a very impressive 66-0 victory over Norths. The win was highlighted by winger Sean Cox’s (#11) four tries. Easts started the game positively with good ball retention and scored an early try through winger Kieran Ross (#14) on the back of sustained pressure on the Norths defence.
Two more tries were scored in the first half. However poor handling in great field position cost the Tigers more points in the first half. This trend of missed opportunity continued in the second half until the opening try of that period ignited the Easts backs to display a master class of attacking rugby that lead to another six tries.
The forwards won the battle at the breakdown allowing quality ball for the backs. The scrum was dominant from the start and the lineout was solid throughout the entire game. Michael Bermingham (#3) and Michael Stolberg (#4) were brilliant, making their biggest contributions with ball in hand, charging up the field with effective ball carries.
Matt Brandon (#10) controlled the game from fly half, with a standout kicking performance that gave the Tigers the territorial advantage throughout the match.
Easts youngest recruit, UJ Seuteni, made his debut for the Tigers coming off the bench after 20 minutes to give David Skelton (#12) a well deserved rest. Seuteni’s first touch belied the quality that he would show with his next few touches. A face ball, grubber in behind the line and the silken footwork with the grace and power of Chazz Michael Michaels on ice, showed some of the skills that he will bring to the squad. Seuteni had time after the break at fly half whilst skipper Matt Brandon observed his team’s performance from behind.
This victory draws a close to the pre-season and puts the Tigers in good stead to open the regular season, at home, against old enemy Brothers on the 28th April.

T

TOCC

QUEENSLAND Rugby Union boss Jim Carmichael has revealed they are preparing to strip Rugby Gold Coast of its Breakers licence and will take back the embattled club.
Carmichael said he had put Rugby Gold Coast on notice and set up a special executive committee to complete a thorough review of Rugby Gold Coast by April 30.
The QRU chief executive said he was fed up with the way the Coast's rugby assets had been managed and it was time to take control.
"I'm very disappointed that we're in a situation where so many good people have put so much time and effort into it and we've been let down," he said.

"We've taken formal action and put Rugby Gold Coast on notice that if they can't satisfy certain things within a certain time period then they must front our board to give us reason not to expel the Gold Coast.
"It would mean that we formally expel Rugby Gold Coast and take back the responsibility of positioning those (rugby) assets correctly."
The QRU stepped in to provide support for Rugby Gold Coast earlier this year after it was revealed the local organisation was up to $300,000 in debt.
The RGC were to hold their annual general meeting in March however the meeting was pushed back to allow for a full audit.
Carmichael said the QRU would announce their intentions before the end of April and the AGM would be held late next month.

"We've worked extremely hard in the past two years to focus on this region and make sure that the assets were getting stronger.
"We need to get Gold Coast Rugby strong again and we're absolutely focused on getting this thing (organised) again so we can get it to grow."
Former Breakers president and club member Warren Carey said he was surprised to learn of Rugby Gold Coast's debt at the start of the year and said he would support the QRU with whatever decision they made.
"I was shocked (to learn of the RGC debt) but it had nothing to do with the Breakers and I'm sure the QRU will get to the bottom of that.
"None of us want to get into the politics of it all -- we just want these boys get on the field and play rugby to the best of their potential."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/04/21/409525_gold-coast-sport.html

no surprises here really.. the Breakers have been run poorly the last 4 or 5 years.. im not sure whether thats becasue they lost significant sponsorship around the inception of the Titans and more recently the Suns..or whether it is a leadership issue.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
anyone know how the uni trial went down?

Heavies power through to trial win
A powerful second-half performance saw UQ take a strong 40-24 victory over Brothers in their first trial of the season.
It was a fantastic afternoon for rugby as both teams through the ball around in a bid to gel their backlines.
Grand final winning Prem Colts captain Jay Adkins was one of several players to make his Premier Grade debut alongside UQ rugby scholarship holders Curtis Browning, Campbell Wakeley and James Ambrosini.
Tough, grinding football was on the menu for the first-half as both teams grinded away at each other in the forwards.
UQ eventually made some early territory tell with a clever line-out win leading to a try to make it 5-0; Ambrosini missed the conversion.
Brothers scored the next three tries though until scrum-half Will Thompson opened the defence up with a dive for the line at close range to make it 17-12 at the interval.
The second-half was almost a completely different story as Thompson and his backs opened the game up through lots of jinking runs and cheeky off-loads.
Thompson bagged his second and wing George Morseau eventually found the space he had been searching for to score a fantastic try.
Wing Daniel Damon also added to the scoresheet with a try of his own in the final quarter of the match.
Further tries added to an impressive score-line for the Heavies as they look forward to the Easter break ahead of their hit-out against Sunnybank at Kenmore on April 14.
Meanwhile, two late tries to wings Fraser Hess and David Burns helped First Grade to an impressive 31-19 win while the Womens team flourished over Pine Rivers with a 48-0 victory
http://uqrugby.com.au/index.php?page=468&ssid=468&mid=2
Video highlights on the site

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think TD was more interested in the trial against GPS on the weekend. I would be keen to hear from anyone who was there.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS won the final trial against Uni. Can't remember the final score at the moment but I think they got up by 7.

There are still some players to come back from injury for GPS and I also heard that Uni were missing a few players at some rugby carnival (not sure how accurate that is).

GPS standout player in trials would have to be Junior Rasolea, geez he's good. Scored 4 tries in a row against Brothers a few weeks back and totally changed the game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah there are a heap of Uni players in the Aust Uni's team that are in NZ.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/6239/Default.aspx

Musashi High Performer of the Week award new addition to Queensland Premier Rugby competition for season 2012

imageResize.ashx
No caption provided​
The next generation of Queensland Rugby talent will continue to be recognised throughout the 2012 Queensland Premier Rugby competition thanks to the introduction of the ‘Musashi High Performer of the Week’ award.
The award has been designed to further recognise the elite level of talent participating in the Queensland Premier Rugby competition, which has been a proven pathway for players to progress to the St.George Queensland Reds or in other elite competitions.
The Premier Rugby season was officially launched at the Queensland Rugby Club on Tuesday morning with playing representatives from all 10 teams coming together ahead of the weekend’s opening round of games.
During each round of the competition a Musashi High Performer of the Week will be presented to the player deemed to have made the biggest individual impact on the nominated Game of the Round.
In round one the Game of the Round will see Easts and Brothers come together for an enticing encounter at Bottomley Park. A host of former Wallabies will be on hand for the match with an official ceremony to name their main playing field to be held prior to kick off at 3:15pm.
The winner will be selected by match officials and will receive a Musashi prize pack as well as recognition on the Queensland Premier Rugby website and on Queensland Rugby’s social media channels.
“By winning the past three Australian Club Championships, Queensland has proven that it boasts the best club competition in Australia and I expect the 2012 season to be played at the highest of standards,” General Manager of Community Rugby David Hanham said.
“It’s important to recognise the talent we have on show each week and the introduction of the Musashi High Performer of the Week award is one way of doing that and to further promote our Code.
“The Premier Rugby competition is an established competition for players wanting to take their game to the next level and we have seen a high percentage of Reds players represent their local clubs in the past. This all adds to the overall prestige of the competition as the 10 teams vie for the Hospital Cup.”
It has been a busy offseason for all 10 Premier Rugby clubs with Saturday 28 April the first opportunity for each team to showcase how they are shaping up ahead of what will be one of the most fiercely contested competitions in years.
Reigning premiers Sunnybank are well positioned to their repeat their Hospital Cup success of 2011 and will begin their title defence against Souths and Chipsy Wood Oval on Saturday.
The Magpies are expecting a huge turnout for the encounter as they roll out the red carpet for Ladies Day. Complimentary glasses of champagne, raffles and prizes are on offer – along with an onsite make-up artist to keep everyone looking their best. For more details visit www.southsrugby.com.
Former Reds coach Phil Mooney faces a tough first-up challenge as the new Head Coach of Wests with the Bulldogs kicking off their season against 2011 Minor Premiers University at Sylvan Road.
Round one also features a battle of the coasts with the Gold and Sunshine Coasts going head-to-head at Albert Park while big offseason recruiters GPS will be hoping to begin their campaign in style against Norths at Hugh Courtney Oval.
The Gallopers and Eagles encounter on Saturday will mark a special occasion for Norths who will be officially unveiling their renovated main playing field as part of Old Boys Tie Day.
A complete 2012 draw can be found here - http://www.redsrugby.com.au/PremierRugby/FixturesResults.aspx.
Round One – Queensland Premier Rugby – Saturday 28 April
Match Location Time
Easts v Brothers* Bottomley Park 3:15pm
Norths v GPS Hugh Courtney Oval 3:00pm
Gold Coast v Sunshine Coast Albert Park 3:00pm
Wests v University Sylvan Road 3:00pm
Souths v Sunnybank Chipsy Wood Oval 3:00pm
*Game of the Round

Status
Not open for further replies.