• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
I think Brandon is a fair choice for that award. No other players have that sort of influential impact in their own team. Easts are screwed when he doesn't play.
T12, I would argue your following point 'No other players have that sort of influential impact in their own team'. I believe it could have been an Easts vs Brothers final if both Brandon and Dallan Murphy were available for their respective sides. Dallan Murphy's injury coincided with a drop in fortunes for Brothers which even saw them enjoy a lucky 1 point victory against the Gold Coast in the last play of the game. Murphy's abscence was telling though, particularly in the big games as was Brandon's for Easts.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think with Brothers they have other influential players like Damon Murphy and Nathan Gendle in the backs who can step up. With Easts, apart from maybe Toby White, there isn't anyone who can take the game and control it like Brando can. Brothers wouldn't have performed so poorly in the finals if Dallan was there, I think having him just gives the team that extra confidence.

Regardless I still think University would of won the competition.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
In the aftermath of the club rugby season, I wanted to highlight the efforts and involvement at club rugby of some of the Reds (and one bloke from the Force) at Uni. I encourage people from other clubs to talk about the involvement of their players at their clubs - it's nice to recognise some of the good stuff that goes unheralded in our game, especially the stuff that doesn't get tweeted...!

Dave McDuling
After doing his ACL immediately before the first pre-season game for the Reds, he limped down to Uni Colts training and became the forwards coach for Premier Colts. He must have done something right - they won (albeit in a draw on GF day...). He now has a unique premiership career:
  • played in the Sydney Uni side that won the 2010 (?) Shute Shield premiership
  • played in the University of Queensland side that defeated that same Sydney Uni side in the National Club Championship at the beginning of 2011
  • received the Club's Player's Player award in 2011
  • coached a Premier Colts premiership side.
He's now almost rivalling Laurie Weeks for the titlel of Buildcorp's finest (Sydney Uni and Qld Uni both have Buildcorp as their major sponsors). You'd struggle to find anyone with a bad word to say about the guy too. Also loves a club night.

Jono Lance
After busting his ankle, Jono also limped down to Colts training, helping the colts backs wherever he could. Was also the self-appointed captain of Heavies Hill during the GF. He came along to every home game and almost all away games during the season after he was injured too.

James Horwill
Kev came down to training towards the end of the season and during finals helping specifically with the lineouts in Premier & first grades, and Prem colts. He also presented the jerseys to the Prem Colts for the GF and went out of his way to instil confidence in the players across all grades.

Kev came to most games during the year (when Reds and media commitments allowed, anyway) and he always sat with the rest of the players from the club (all grades and colts). He was also happy to sign any and all autographs, and talk to the kids at the games. A great ambassador for the game, for the club, and for Queensland rugby.

Mike Harris
Before he played his first game this year, Mike already felt like part of the fabric of the club. He posed shirtless for the calendar the club produced to raise funds for the tour to the UK, he came along to most games last year, he was auctioned off for ladies' day.

This year, he came down to as many games as he could, usually getting there in time to watch first grade and sometimes Prem Colts just before. Sitting with his burger & drink, he also made time for everyone who wanted to talk to him, wish him luck, or have a photo. After every game he played, he stood for photos, signed stuff, talked to kids and generally made them feel like a million bucks.

There are few players who are so super-keen to play club rugby whenever they can. He'd arrive to training early and leave last, which set a great example to the rest of the club; if Mike was going to stay back kicking, then they should too.

James "Chibba" Hanson
Where people above talk about Matt Brandon and Dallan Murphy being almost talismanic at their club, I put Chibba in that category at Uni. He captained a Colts side to a premiership, then in his first year out our Premier grade side wasn't great. There were some good players in the side, but they were all young and they had a lot to learn. Even first year out of Colts, Chib's professionalism was second-to-none. And this was before he was in the Reds Academy. Whenever he plays for Uni, everyone around him lifts a level. When he speaks, everyone listens, and I know I'm always more confident when I see his name on the team sheet.

Chibba's record with the club speaks for itself (captained Uni to a Colts premiership, as well as two Premier grade premierships in three years), however it's his work around the club off-the-field that is truly what makes him the glue of Uni rugby. Quite simply, he's a class act, and when he can't play, he's there watching when he can. Also makes an effort to speak to the ballboys after the game to say thanks. Last into the sheds after games because he's talking to everyone who wants to talk to him on the way off the field. Also loves a club night.

Nathan Sharpe
Widely recognised as one of the true gentlemen of rugby, Sharpie is a legend around the club. Yes, he's captained the Wallabies, but he also gets to a surprising number of club events than any other player who, until recently, lived on the other side of the country. He's given his own signed jerseys to auction or raffle, he's been a guest speaker at a number of events. he's come along to games and sat with his former teammates on the grass watching his kids play, he makes an effort to be engaged with the players and the club.

Last year he played his first club game for 9 (?) years. He eventually made it in to the dressing sheds again after the game, but only after every single kid there had a photo, an autograph and a handshake. In the training sessions leading up to that game he arrived early and trained with an intensity that showed some of our young guys a thing or two. If Robbie hadn't kept picking him in the Rugby Championships, I have little doubt that he would've run out on Sunday for the Heavies. Way back when he was still with Queensland, he was another man who loved a club night.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think with Brothers they have other influential players like Damon Murphy and Nathan Gendle in the backs who can step up. With Easts, apart from maybe Toby White, there isn't anyone who can take the game and control it like Brando can. Brothers wouldn't have performed so poorly in the finals if Dallan was there, I think having him just gives the team that extra confidence.

Regardless I still think University would of won the competition.

I heard in the rumor mill that Nathan Gendle is off to Japan for a professional contract.

Big loss for them, if true.

In regards to Matt Brandon, He was in my eyes the M.V.P of last season, they were the best team in 2011 until he got injured and then the Tigers proceeded to mail it in.

Matt Brandon was healthy all year. the 2nd half meltdown for the Tigers this year was non-existent (they beat the teams they should & couldn't beat the teams that were better then them). They had that one bad loss to the Magpies which they probably could look back on & say "What if"

I think Easts had the best win of the year. The game at Bottomley Park where they were trailing University & came back. by a 20 something point margin. That was my WTF Premier Rugby moment of 2012.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I heard in the rumor mill that Nathan Gendle is off to Japan for a professional contract.

Big loss for them, if true.

In regards to Matt Brandon, He was in my eyes the M.V.P of last season, they were the best team in 2011 until he got injured and then the Tigers proceeded to mail it in.

Matt Brandon was healthy all year. the 2nd half meltdown for the Tigers this year was non-existent (they beat the teams they should & couldn't beat the teams that were better then them). They had that one bad loss to the Magpies which they probably could look back on & say "What if"

I think Easts had the best win of the year. The game at Bottomley Park where they were trailing University & came back. by a 20 something point margin. That was my WTF Premier Rugby moment of 2012.

He got injured against Wests at Wests, came off the bench the following week against Norths at Easts and played the rest of the year injured. (I know, no one is ever 100%).

Hopefully Easts sort themselves out in the lower grades so their is more depth.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Great post CA, nothing better then seeing the Reds "stars" coming back to club land, I think it is fairly evident that University maintains a strong relationship with these guys, even when they only play a few games a season.

Can't comment on Easts here, although Quirkie and Toua are at every home game and alot of away ones. Ben Mowen comes up sometimes as well.

Also, there was alot of talk of Stollberg and Enever from Easts being the top locks in the competition. Fair to say that theory has been shattered after Tim Buchanan's performances at the back end of the season. Someone sign him?

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Tigerland did you see the Uni/ Easts game last round. Enever and Stolberg gave him a run for his money. Hard to compare them unless playing against each other, thats when you get a fair idea of performances.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Lets turn our attention to next year. Who is off overseas and interstate? Who do we look out for from Colts? (or potentially from School)

I didn't follow the colts forum or games at all this year, but noticed the Easts colts 12 was consistently on the bench in the 2nd half of the year, never got on though. Is he any good?

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Lets turn our attention to next year. Who is off overseas and interstate? Who do we look out for from Colts? (or potentially from School)

I didn't follow the colts forum or games at all this year, but noticed the Easts colts 12 was consistently on the bench in the 2nd half of the year, never got on though. Is he any good?

Huge loss for Norths for next with rumors captain and 2011 Alec Evans Medal Winner Carlos Gavidi is off to Spain. Anyone know If this is true?

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Uni awards last night.
Player of the year - Matt Arvier
Players player - Will Thompson
Player of the finals - Luke Morahan
Colt of the year - Curtis Browning

AshgroveGalloper

Frank Row (1)
In the aftermath of the club rugby season, I wanted to highlight the efforts and involvement at club rugby of some of the Reds (and one bloke from the Force) at Uni. I encourage people from other clubs to talk about the involvement of their players at their clubs - it's nice to recognise some of the good stuff that goes unheralded in our game, especially the stuff that doesn't get tweeted.!

James "Chibba" Hanson
Where people above talk about Matt Brandon and Dallan Murphy being almost talismanic at their club, I put Chibba in that category at Uni. He captained a Colts side to a premiership, then in his first year out our Premier grade side wasn't great. There were some good players in the side, but they were all young and they had a lot to learn. Even first year out of Colts, Chib's professionalism was second-to-none. And this was before he was in the Reds Academy. Whenever he plays for Uni, everyone around him lifts a level. When he speaks, everyone listens, and I know I'm always more confident when I see his name on the team sheet.

Chibba's record with the club speaks for itself (captained Uni to a Colts premiership, as well as two Premier grade premierships in three years), however it's his work around the club off-the-field that is truly what makes him the glue of Uni rugby. Quite simply, he's a class act, and when he can't play, he's there watching when he can. Also makes an effort to speak to the ballboys after the game to say thanks. Last into the sheds after games because he's talking to everyone who wants to talk to him on the way off the field. Also loves a club night.

That's brilliant that you get so much out of your reds, I'd love to see that same level of committment at other clubs, I guess alot of other clubs don't have as many Reds though.

I have always noticed rep players at Uni wearing club polos and watching games, you really don't see that around other clubs. Great form from them!

On your point above, Did Chibba Hanson actually captain the colts premiership team? From memory I thought the number eight that year did

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
You might be right about the captaincy there Galloper. Could've been a Poulton-led side? After all these years my years can get jumbled. Apologies if I'm wrong about that.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

I think Easts will have a cracker of a side next year with the likes of Bertini, Toua, Faulkner and Quirk returning from injury and adding depth to an already strong squad.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
So when does the Qld Premier Rugby 2013 thread usually get created?

looking forward to a offseason of rumour mongering & club stereotype bantering.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think Easts will have a cracker of a side next year with the likes of Bertini, Toua, Faulkner and Quirk returning from injury and adding depth to an already strong squad.

The problem with Easts is there is not enough depth. So injuries hurt us bad this year and last year.

Hopefully hitting rock bottom this year with no team making finals, things will be done to turn this issue around. For the past 5 or so years, the club has relied on player quality and volume coming from Villa and Churchie. But steady lack of retention and player development below the top team has withered this away.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The problem with Easts is there is not enough depth. So injuries hurt us bad this year and last year.

Hopefully hitting rock bottom this year with no team making finals, things will be done to turn this issue around.

That's not ROCK BOTTOM?

Try being a Bulldogs supporter of the more recent years passed.

2012 was like a dream that has come true.

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have to say - as someone who has suffered tremendously due to the "take me home Sylvan Rd" song for many, many years - that it was great to see Wests score a couple of unexpected wins this year. Not good for me personally as I can't stand them, but great for Brisbane Premier Rugby and really terrific for a few of my mates who are dyed-in-the-wool Bulldogs supporters.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Easts had their awards night the other day, from memory the awards went something like this

Best Player: Jarrad Buttler
Best Forward: Blake Enever
Best Back: Johnny Wilder
Players Player: Jarrad Buttler

And I think Dom Fuller got an award, but I can't remember what it was for.

Status
Not open for further replies.