• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rmurph

He (Mitch Wenck) kicked a goal after the bell (i think) to a win in last year's 3rd grade G/Final. It was back to back for that grade/team.
You're right, I played in the game last year against GPS. Mitch kicked a penalty after the siren to win the game. Two massive efforts from the big fella two years in a row.
Here's the clip from last year:

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
The problem with Easts is there is not enough depth. So injuries hurt us bad this year and last year.

Hopefully hitting rock bottom this year with no team making finals, things will be done to turn this issue around. For the past 5 or so years, the club has relied on player quality and volume coming from Villa and Churchie. But steady lack of retention and player development below the top team has withered this away.

I suppose you can go back to pillaging players from Gold Coast/Sunny Coast.
It seemed to work for this year!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I suppose you can go back to pillaging players from Gold Coast/Sunny Coast.
It seemed to work for this year!
Typical.........

I know everyone says "You can't use injuries as an excuse", but lets just have a look at the players who missed most of the season shall we.

Pettowa Parraka missed the back end of the year (Aus u20's)
Jack Kimmance did not play a game (National Academy)
Michael Bermingham missed most of the year (National Academy)
Luke Bertini missed the whole year, captain and regular in the City team.
Jordan Tupou was in and out most of the year.
Ed Quirk missed the back end of the year.
Toby White missed several games, as did Matt Brandon
Sam Cox didnt play a game after being injured in an Aus u20's warm up match
Joel Faulkner and Aiden Toua didn't play a single match for Easts this year.
Shannon Walker was injured after one game.

So yes of course depth was going to be tested when you are missing a majority of your first XV.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
We did poach those players from GC and SC there is no denying it. They all wanted to play at a club in Brisbane and we offered them enough, not just money, to get them to us over the other Brisbane clubs.

T12 I think you are over playing the injury card. We had a lot less injuries this year compared to last year. I would probably say injury and rep comitments were probably equal at other clubs. Just reported more on the forum due to Easts have a strong footprint on this thread.

The only injuries that may have cost us the top 4 were Aidan Toua, Quirk and Brandon.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
ECA - not all the players were 'poached'. Some elected to move due to work/uni commitments and chose Easts because mates played there.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
ECA - not all the players were 'poached'. Some elected to move due to work/uni commitments and chose Easts because mates played there.

For the 4 players from GC and SC that came to Easts this year, friendship was not the only benefit. As I said in my post, they all wanted to come to Brisbane, because of uni, work and the Academy. But the reason they chose Easts was because there was greater benefit at Easts then any other club. That benefit is a combination of financial, coaches, players, supporters and drinking culture. Each one would mean more or less to the players but the players definitely didn't just rock up on registration day because their mate told them to come down for a game. The coaching team (unfortunately we don't have a Rugby coordinator or recruitment coordinator) actively sort these players out.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Also the benefit of mates that they have possibly trained with in the academy, NTS etc ,are of the same age group, have played against and formed respect for.....I believe that some of these lads can decide for themselves where they might possibly want to play and don't always require enticements. Registration day...seriously!

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
Typical...

I know everyone says "You can't use injuries as an excuse", but lets just have a look at the players who missed most of the season shall we.

Pettowa Parraka missed the back end of the year (Aus u20's)
Jack Kimmance did not play a game (National Academy)
Michael Bermingham missed most of the year (National Academy)
Luke Bertini missed the whole year, captain and regular in the City team.
Jordan Tupou was in and out most of the year.
Ed Quirk missed the back end of the year.
Toby White missed several games, as did Matt Brandon
Sam Cox didnt play a game after being injured in an Aus u20's warm up match
Joel Faulkner and Aiden Toua didn't play a single match for Easts this year.
Shannon Walker was injured after one game.

So yes of course depth was going to be tested when you are missing a majority of your first XV.
Dont forget Josh Parry - he had really sore feet for most of the year...... and Andrew ready has a dodgy shoulder..... and stolberg had growing pains.... get serious, every club has a stupid injury list every year and half those players you mentioned arent regular tigers anyway, if you chase academy players and rep players they hardly ever play a full season. You cant blame them for the lack of depth. just cop it on the chin. the club had a shit year, as all clubs do from time to time.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Also the benefit of mates that they have possibly trained with in the academy, NTS etc ,are of the same age group, have played against and formed respect for...I believe that some of these lads can decide for themselves where they might possibly want to play and don't always require enticements. Registration day.seriously!

Yes I'm serious. Easts had a registration day this year.

Well easts would have saved a lot of money on them if they didn't require enticements.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
For the 4 players from GC and SC that came to Easts this year, friendship was not the only benefit. As I said in my post, they all wanted to come to Brisbane, because of uni, work and the Academy. But the reason they chose Easts was because there was greater benefit at Easts then any other club. That benefit is a combination of financial, coaches, players, supporters and drinking culture. Each one would mean more or less to the players but the players definitely didn't just rock up on registration day because their mate told them to come down for a game. The coaching team (unfortunately we don't have a Rugby coordinator or recruitment coordinator) actively sort these players out.

Interesting list.
Financial? The club must be in a better financial position than a couple of years ago if it can afford to spend money on players.
Coaching Staff? That hasn't made the finals in the last couple of years.
Drinking Culture? Not sure if guys that want to go pro should be going to a club to get on the piss.

You guys must be really good blokes ;)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting list.
Financial? The club must be in a better financial position than a couple of years ago if it can afford to spend money on players.
Drinking Culture? Not sure if guys that want to go pro should be going to a club to get on the piss.

Any good coach can sell himself, that's why you get to coach first grade. Everyone coaching Prems around Australia would be a master salesman.

Didn't you coach at that level once upon a time Jets?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Interesting list.

I did say each benefit would mean more to some then others. Perhaps a couple are realistic of their chances of going to the next level, in terms of drinking culture. And yes the board and a number of other club supporters have done alot over the last couple of years to improve our financial situation. Things like sponsors days, Cromwell, The End Zone club etc have made a huge difference.

Unfortunately this board has really put a stranglehold on the drinking culture. But hopefully this can be changed next year with more player power.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Dont forget Josh Parry - he had really sore feet for most of the year.. and Andrew ready has a dodgy shoulder... and stolberg had growing pains.. get serious, every club has a stupid injury list every year and half those players you mentioned arent regular tigers anyway, if you chase academy players and rep players they hardly ever play a full season. You cant blame them for the lack of depth. just cop it on the chin. the club had a shit year, as all clubs do from time to time.
Relax mate I was just illustrating the calibre of the players we had on the side-lines.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Any good coach can sell himself, that's why you get to coach first grade. Everyone coaching Prems around Australia would be a master salesman.

Didn't you coach at that level once upon a time Jets?
Pat Richards has been around a while and coached Aust Schools a few years ago. I don't think it's a long bow to draw that he's a good coach. I just found it an amusing selling point for why players ended up at Easts.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Pat Richards has been around a while and coached Aust Schools a few years ago. I don't think it's a long bow to draw that he's a good coach. I just found it an amusing selling point for why players ended up at Easts.
Isn't he part of the National Academy coaching team? I heard someone mention he looks after alot of the forward work, and that was a key reason for Buttler, Enever ect coming to play at Easts. It'd make sense if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.