• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
The 1st intake of Prep is in Year 6 this year so we are 6 years away from needing to alter the competition to accommodate matriculation age.
The move back from Under 20 was due to a drop off in recruitment/retention of players from school as clubs could maintain players in Colts for 3 years. There were also some key court cases which saw issues around the management of age grade and open grade Rugby.
The current system of U19 works very well to maintain players.
It would be good to reinstate the Qld U19 Trans Tasman at the end of the season as a stepping stone to Grade Rugby and Australian U20 the next year.
The nature of employment has changed and I find this is the biggest issue with maintaining players in the game. 7 day trading, casual staffing of 24 hour shift rosters, fly in fly out mining etc.
The Premier clubs in Qld do a great job providing almost 80 teams at 8 clubs that provides a pathway for over 2000 players to stay in the game from school through to professional Rugby.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
So JETS who do you think will captain the mighty BANK this year with the retirement of Kreukilius (spelling) ?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have no idea who it would be but someone like Rex Tapuai might be an option. I'm out of the loop this year as I'm not coaching

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I have no idea who it would be but someone like Rex Tapuai might be an option. I'm out of the loop this year as I'm not coaching

Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything more then a prediction/opinion as I do remember you saying your not involved with the coaching this year

I agree on Rex. Older head who is respected by his teammates

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
who will be captaining the Under 6 Gold Bullsharks?
I will know more as our preseason training program progresses. It is looking likely that I will be naming a leadership group of at least 7 players and from that group I will pick the most experienced, and injured, player to lead. When he is unavailable I will pick a player from outside the leadership group to lead. All of this will go out the window if I have a girl in the team as she will become the automatic captain.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything more then a prediction/opinion as I do remember you saying your not involved with the coaching this year

I agree on Rex. Older head who is respected by his teammates
Tom Murday is another option that I forgot about.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Going to have a crack at a Sunnybank Team. I'll probably forget a few guys. Guys in Reds may go with Aust 20's.

1. Jeremiah Fatialofa
2. Maile Ngauamo/Sam Mellor
3. Josef Horomia/Feao Fotuaika
4. Greg Melton
5. Tom Murday
6. Nigel Ah Wong
7. Vili Tuakalau/Adam Hayes
8. Josh Afu
9. Ben Meehan/Danny Tusitala
10. Dion Taumata
11. Shane Seiuli
12. Henry Tafu/Ryan Tongia
13. Rex Tapuai
14. Peter Lee
15. Danny Routledge/Jake McIntyre

Plenty of other guys in the training squad at the moment, many of whom I don't know. They are off for a camp on the Sunny Coast this weekend and play a game against the Stingrays too.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
For Easts. (Including Quirk and Toua at this stage for end of the season, but replacement in brackets).

1- Petowa Parraka
2- Andrew Ready
3- Michael Bermingham
4- Blake Enever
5- Michael Stollberg
6- Luke Bertini (?)
7- Ed Quirk (Josh Parry)
8- Jarrad Buttler
9- Dom Fuller
10- Matt Brandon
11- Johnny Wilder
12- Sean Cox
13- Toby White
14- Chris Mansell
15- Aiden Toua (UJ Seuteni)

Jordan Tupou has left for sunnybank and David Skelton has gone overseas. I'm not sure on if Bertini is back this season. Also not sure on Joel Faulkner's continuation playing rugby, hopefully he still turns out for Easts. Greg Riley is another one I'm not sure of, hopefully he keeps going, he was very good at the back end of last season.

Throw in other names like Jack Kimmance, Kirwan Sanday (apparently), Eli Mowen, UJ Seuteni and Sam Cox, then you have a bit of depth playing in grades.

I can't imagine we will see much of Quirk and Toua this season. Jarrad and Enever should play a fair bit though, baring any injuries in the Reds pack.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets so you don't expect to see much of Ben Adams this year? and you would really have Hayes over Taupou?

tigerland12 Sanday>Bermingham especially considering bermingham is coming back from injury
Don't expect to see much of the 7's boys. Miles McCaffrey would be the option I couldn't think of.

If we go with registered players I'll try

1. Greg Holmes
2. Albert Anae
3. PAE
4. AWH
5. Rob Simmons
6. Nigel Ah Wong
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Ben Meehan
10. Ben Lucas
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Rex Tapuai
14. Danny Routledge
15. Richard Kingi

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm not sure why he's up here. I was just told he been to training and is going away with the squad this weekend.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Hasn't happened FilthRugby - it's Sydney Uni's turn to host, and the last I heard (and I haven't heard anything for a while so there might be better mail out there) they were having troubles finding a location and a date that would fit in with Queensland's season and their venue availability. Time's obviously rapidly running out though.

Just looking at where it's been held, from 2007 to 2011 it was held only once in Sydney (2009) - it's supposed to be held there every second year. I can't recall where last years' game was held.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom