• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Last trial weekend before season kickoff.

Who's everyone got? Everyone feeling confident with depth trough the clubs and strength n talent in the top grades?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Normally the last trial is when you see close to a the best XV. So this should be a good indicator.

There aren't any real Souths supporters on this forum, I am interested to know if they will continue to improve on the back of last year or whether they will stagnate or drop back? Did they keep that lightning quick winger?

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
A flaw to your preference is how do you select immigrants such as Kiwis who migrate to Australia and end up playing Premier Rugby.

You'd be leaving a lot of good talent out of the match.
SX I think QRU stipulations are that Kiwis or migrants would need to have lived and played rugby here for the past 3 years to be considered eligible for selection for Qld Country sides. As in the past they have selected players who have only played premier or local sub district club rugby for a season before buggering off

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
Correction, season kicks off officially this weekend when the Breakers host the Stingrays. Was at the Breakers launch last night to see Tim Horan as MC launch the season in style. Geez wish he was available, he could add a bit of mongrel that's lacking in this current outfit. Even the Lord Mayor himself made an appearance to usher in this new partnership with Bond University - hope it helps improve the football, based on the last trial it could be a long year

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Normally the last trial is when you see close to a the best XV. So this should be a good indicator.

There aren't any real Souths supporters on this forum, I am interested to know if they will continue to improve on the back of last year or whether they will stagnate or drop back? Did they keep that lightning quick winger?

No he is playing in Ireland at the moment

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Dragons are playing GPS out at Albany Creek. I hope some of the Sunnybank boys take a packed lunch and a lantern as it's quite a trek.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Dragons are playing GPS out at Albany Creek. I hope some of the Sunnybank boys take a packed lunch and a lantern as it's quite a trek.

Played a trial against GPS a few years ago there. It was fantastic. The junior club's organisation was second to none, the canteen flow was very quick, the cans of coke were icy cold, great selection of chocolates & lollies, the burgers were incredible, and the dressing sheds & toilets were immaculate.

As well as that, the committee members who were manning the canteen & BBQ for the day were so helpful and friendly from the very first game of the day to the very last. Outstanding.

That day rates up there with my favourite rugby memories. Well, off-field anyway. I think I was so impressed with how everything was run off-field that I blocked out the on-field stuff that day.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
It will be a very open Premier Rugby competition this year.
There are a number of factors that will influence this including the completion finishing 3 weeks earlier which will limit the involvement of Super XV players. Additionally the U20 schedule this year precludes players from being involved until July. IRB 7s RWC does the same until August (including active rest).
Most clubs have had disrupted per-seasons due to weather and further player unavailability due to expanded Reds College and ARU Academy schedules.
On the individual club fronts both GPS and Easts seem to be no worse on paper and should be in the top 5 of the comp. Likewise Uni. All e clubs have maintained (and expanded) coaching and playing rosters.
Souths have already lost Dan McKellar to Japan which will be a big hit in replacing Ken Wills.
Brothers are coming to the end of a generation of players that have served them well for 6 years. Their lack of success and depth in Colts over this period will start to hurt them.
Both Coasts are in the process of recovering financially and restructuring so it would unrealistic for them to challenge.
Wests could be in with a chance although depth could be an issue. They have already lost Linde.
Uni, GPS and Easts with Sunnybank and Wests to fight it out for 4th.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Depth is really good this year at the Kennel happy jack.

So much so that I will go out on a limb here & say Reggies bulldogs will have just as much of a chance if making Semis then the Premier lads do.

There's some new faces in reserve grade & a few premier grade stalwarts of the last few years having filtering down because of a lot of cream at the top.

Maybe I'm a narrow minded rosé shaded glasses doggy supporter but gone are the days when the Dogs were walkovers.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Played a trial against GPS a few years ago there. It was fantastic. The junior club's organisation was second to none, the canteen flow was very quick, the cans of coke were icy cold, great selection of chocolates & lollies, the burgers were incredible, and the dressing sheds & toilets were immaculate.

As well as that, the committee members who were manning the canteen & BBQ for the day were so helpful and friendly from the very first game of the day to the very last. Outstanding.

That day rates up there with my favourite rugby memories. Well, off-field anyway. I think I was so impressed with how everything was run off-field that I blocked out the on-field stuff that day.
I have terrible memories of playing there. Snapped both bones in my right forearm and then was driven to hospital in an old beat out volvo, took almost and hour. Was the opening of the ground back in the mid 90's.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Depth is really good this year at the Kennel happy jack.

So much so that I will go out on a limb here & say Reggies bulldogs will have just as much of a chance if making Semis then the Premier lads do.

There's some new faces in reserve grade & a few premier grade stalwarts of the last few years having filtering down because of a lot of cream at the top.

Maybe I'm a narrow minded rosé shaded glasses doggy supporter but gone are the days when the Dogs were walkovers.

Although easts were missing a few players as well on the weekend. i believe easts had a nearly a whole teams worth of premier rated players on the sideline and still managed to do quite well on the weekend which bodes well for a our depth.

i am not shouting world beater yet but i think its a good sign for the club who have in recent years needed players to play 2-3 games each week just to get teams on the park.

so good foundations at the kennel.......woof

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It will be a very open Premier Rugby competition this year.
There are a number of factors that will influence this including the completion finishing 3 weeks earlier which will limit the involvement of Super XV players. Additionally the U20 schedule this year precludes players from being involved until July. IRB 7s RWC does the same until August (including active rest).
Most clubs have had disrupted per-seasons due to weather and further player unavailability due to expanded Reds College and ARU Academy schedules.
On the individual club fronts both GPS and Easts seem to be no worse on paper and should be in the top 5 of the comp. Likewise Uni. All e clubs have maintained (and expanded) coaching and playing rosters.
Souths have already lost Dan McKellar to Japan which will be a big hit in replacing Ken Wills.
Brothers are coming to the end of a generation of players that have served them well for 6 years. Their lack of success and depth in Colts over this period will start to hurt them.
Both Coasts are in the process of recovering financially and restructuring so it would unrealistic for them to challenge.
Wests could be in with a chance although depth could be an issue. They have already lost Linde.
Uni, GPS and Easts with Sunnybank and Wests to fight it out for 4th.
What's the bet that now that we have all written off Brothers as a contender, they turn around and win the thing and we have to listen to the Filth brag about it for the next 10 years.

I do agree though, they've always looked a tad thin in the Colts, unlike Easts, Uni, GPS who always seem to have younger players in their Premier Side, showing that they have stronger Colt systems.

Waradog

Stan Wickham (3)
Off to see the West's trial games at Shaw Rd this weekend. Have only seen them at training so will be good to see how they are on the paddock against opposition. Positive vibe coming out of the club so hopefully a good day for the Doggies.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
No pressure Jets but are we tipping the coasts game this weekend? I read in an earlier post that they are playing for keeps this weekend?
If so I'm tipping the Breakers.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
For anyone interested in Club Rugby outside of the premier grade. the QRU has uploaded draws for 2013.

The main points being (I imagine these draws are subject to change)

* Redlands is now playing Subbies. Looks like a bye week for all grades bar Premier Grade & Reggies.

*Brisbane 4th grade looks like a mess with 3 teams on a bye week, each week (No Logan, Norths & Redlands)

* Easts have a new niche team (like the Longhorns) called the Brisbane Hustlers (club culture musn't be too good if the Longhorns & Hustlers don't wanna be officially known with the tigers ;)) The Hustlers can be found playing in the Scottney Cup.

* There's a team called Riverside with their homeground at Bulimba (no idea where that field is)

*Beaudesert look like they will be playing on Friday nights in the Normanby Cup. Can only imagine the nightmares with journey to the grounds. One would expect forfeits or Beaudesert to drop out of the comp.

* Wyatt Cup looks like it might not be contested this year. Law & Med lads look like they've been moved to the Normanby Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.