• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
its quite a farce isn't it?

I had to along to a couple junior judiciary hearings before and it is the same thing. They read the refs report then ask the player his view and the accompanying adult their view. Then highlight how certain aspects of the report contradict the story or ask for clarification. Then sometimes they as if they are guilty more or less.

I after the interview there is hardly any point saying no as there is no video at junior level. So the ref reports stand, and i would suggest that in the heat of a moment a ref's report couldn't be any better than if a player filled it out.

League have a better system I think.

At the other endof the extreme, it's interesting that the reports from the "better" referees in higher grades, usually those with assistant referees to support them, seem largely or completely disregarded at the judiciary when there is video footage of the game available.

(I believe that referees have good reasons for issuing cards on the field; sometimes my one-eyed supporter cap blinds me temporarily, but the refs are only aiming to make the game a) safe, and b) resemble rugby)

Surely here if the referee(s) believes he/she saw a punch or a kick in the head, there should be an assumption that it happened unless the video shows otherwise (believe the ref unless you can see that they were clearly mistaken). But if there isn't a clear view of the card-able infringement on the video, it seems like there's only a slap on the wrist ("time served") given.

Cammo82

Frank Row (1)
As far as I have been advised from a reliable source is that the Souths player is a trained boxer/cage fighter, who, at the judiciary, testified that he wasn't kicked, or stomped by the Uni player, and it was the Souths bloke to throw the first of two punches, in retaliation to being struck in the side of the head with the Uni players thigh. For that he has received a six week suspension.

The Uni player was suspended for two weeks based upon the referee's report that he had kicked and punched the Souths player repeatedly; even though the testimony of both players contradicted the ref's report, hence I summise the leniency. The ref is the sole judge of fact and cannot be cross-examined according to IRB Laws.

The Uni player now needs surgery for broken eye socket, cheek, nose and is out for the rest of the season.

I am sorry, but your reliable source is incorrect. I was at the judiciary for this incident and the South's player did not did not testify any such thing. The Uni player did kick the South's player in the head and unfortunately the outcome was as such. The judiciary found the Uni player guilty of the offence and both players were charged with striking. The referees report never said a word about the uni player punching but said the Uni player kicked. A couple South's players had complained about the Uni player for previous incidents during the match.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am sorry, but your reliable source is incorrect. I was at the judiciary for this incident and the South's player did not did not testify any such thing. The Uni player did kick the South's player in the head and unfortunately the outcome was as such. The judiciary found the Uni player guilty of the offence and both players were charged with striking. The referees report never said a word about the uni player punching but said the Uni player kicked. A couple South's players had complained about the Uni player for previous incidents during the match.

Cammo82, maybe there are two referee reports?!?!? because the report I am reading states "kick the Souths player" and then goes onto state, "... player punched the Souths player with a closed fist several times"

When I look at this report and then weigh that up with the sentence of only 2 weeks for the Uni player, as opposed to the 6 weeks for the Souths player;

given that the QRU Minimum Suspensions would be as follows:

1-2 weeks for striking with a fist (4-8 weeks for a more serious strike)
+
3-5 weeks for kicking

The combined minimum suspension would equal 4-7 weeks?!?!?!

So, it stands to reason, given my source and what they are saying that either:

a. The Souths player, testified that he wasn't kicked, or stomped by the Uni player, and it was the Souths bloke to throw the first of two punches, in retaliation to being struck in the side of the head with the Uni players thigh, and this testimony was taken into account.

This would result in a striking charge for the Uni player with minimum suspension of 2-3 weeks - he got 2 weeks.

or

b. The Souths player did allege that he was kicked and punched, and the judiciary just did not believe him or, the referee's report, which is outside the IRB Laws, given there was no video evidence

or

c. the judiciary decided not to charge the Uni player for some other reason

So, without any offence intended, I will leave it at that, still confident in the reliability of my source.

Cammo82

Frank Row (1)
Cammo82, maybe there are two referee reports?!?!? because the report I am reading states "kick the Souths player" and then goes onto state, ". player punched the Souths player with a closed fist several times"

When I look at this report and then weigh that up with the sentence of only 2 weeks for the Uni player, as opposed to the 6 weeks for the Souths player;

given that the QRU Minimum Suspensions would be as follows:

1-2 weeks for striking with a fist (4-8 weeks for a more serious strike)
+
3-5 weeks for kicking

The combined minimum suspension would equal 4-7 weeks?!?!?!

So, it stands to reason, given my source and what they are saying that either:

a. The Souths player, testified that he wasn't kicked, or stomped by the Uni player, and it was the Souths bloke to throw the first of two punches, in retaliation to being struck in the side of the head with the Uni players thigh, and this testimony was taken into account.

This would result in a striking charge for the Uni player with minimum suspension of 2-3 weeks - he got 2 weeks.

or

b. The Souths player did allege that he was kicked and punched, and the judiciary just did not believe him or, the referee's report, which is outside the IRB Laws, given there was no video evidence

or

c. the judiciary decided not to charge the Uni player for some other reason

So, without any offence intended, I will leave it at that, still confident in the reliability of my source.

Well I was sitting in the judiciary hearing and have a copy of the referees report.

A direct quote of the referees report:

5 meters away from the ruck the university player had kicked the south player in the head cuasimg the south player to retaliate and punch the university player in the face with a closed fist sveral times knocking him unconscious and leaving him with facial injuries.

Basically the Uni player got bashed for kicking an opponent in the head and is now telling anyone that will listen that he is an innocent victim. I saw the incident and while I do not condone violence on the field he was punched because he was being a grub. Whether anyone is a trained fighter or not has nothing to do with the matter and everybody has a right to defend themselves from grubs on the field. I don't think the uni player deserved the injuries he sustained and I feel sorry for him for that but kicking an opponent while on the ground not looking at you is a lower act than punching somebody toe to toe. Injuries aside, it should not have happened and would not have happened if the Uni player hadn't kicked somebody in the head.

No offence intended but I just wanted to share the truth.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well I was sitting in the judiciary hearing and have a copy of the referees report.

A direct quote of the referees report:

5 meters away from the ruck the university player had kicked the south player in the head cuasimg the south player to retaliate and punch the university player in the face with a closed fist sveral times knocking him unconscious and leaving him with facial injuries.

Basically the Uni player got bashed for kicking an opponent in the head and is now telling anyone that will listen that he is an innocent victim. I saw the incident and while I do not condone violence on the field he was punched because he was being a grub. Whether anyone is a trained fighter or not has nothing to do with the matter and everybody has a right to defend themselves from grubs on the field. I don't think the uni player deserved the injuries he sustained and I feel sorry for him for that but kicking an opponent while on the ground not looking at you is a lower act than punching somebody toe to toe. Injuries aside, it should not have happened and would not have happened if the Uni player hadn't kicked somebody in the head.

No offence intended but I just wanted to share the truth.

No offence taken, Cammo82; but, "the truth" is:

1. there are obviosuly two separate referee's reports with conflicting/differing information as to the incident
2. the Uni player has not been suspended for kicking/stomping the head of an opponent; which would carry a sentence of somewhere between 3 and 12 weeks.
3. the Uni player has not been suspended for punching an opponent with his fist; which would carry a sentence of somewhere between 1 and 8 weeks
4. the Uni player has been suspended for striking an opponent with his leg which carries a sentence of between 2 and 10 weeks, of which he got 2 weeks. On the lower end of the scale.
5. The Souths player has been suspended for striking an opponent with his fist which carries a sentence of somewhere between 1 and 8 weeks, of which he got 6 weeks. On the higher end of the scale.

I won't get into the name calling, but with regards to being a trained fighter; I certainly believe could have a lot to do with the matter, if it is true, which I am assuming it is by your response:

a trained fighter obviously should know better than to get into scuffles or fights anywhere but in the ring, along with other trained individuals, as they are trained how to hurt people. Therefore, someone trained in these areas needs to exhibit greater levels of control and be more judicious in how much force should be used. They should also be held to a higher level of account, if they fail to do so, and given the Uni player has suffered the injuries that he has, it would seem that the Souths player has failed in this respect.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, well sometimes shit just happens on the field. It's a heavy-contact sport, sometimes tempers fray, as we all know.

Anyway, who has a tip for the top four? finals time?
I would list mine, but I have no idea.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Top Four: Brothers, University, Easts, GPS/Souths.

I think Uni will step up a gear in the second half of the season, while Easts and GPS falter.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Big game between GPS and Easts this week. All the other teams in the top 6 would be expected to win.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
GPS will be looking good with Frisby, Samo and Kite all playing. Ant Fainga'a was meant to be starting as well but is a late exclusion.

Id assume Easts will also have their Reds players ie Quirk and Butler playing

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Due to wet weather on the GC the Breakers v Sunnybank game has been moved to Casuarina Rugby Club on Saturday. Just wondering if this is the first time that a Qld Premier Rugby match has been played out of Qld. rugby reg thought you might know?
Good opportunity if it is as it's a possible expansion area in the future.
Feel bad for the Breakers though as it is their Heritage Round game and they have to take it away from their home ground.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Due to wet weather on the GC the Breakers v Sunnybank game has been moved to Casuarina Rugby Club on Saturday. Just wondering if this is the first time that a Qld Premier Rugby match has been played out of Qld. rugby reg thought you might know?
Good opportunity if it is as it's a possible expansion area in the future.
Feel bad for the Breakers though as it is their Heritage Round game and they have to take it away from their home ground.

Vikings games in Canberra

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
The Dragons crushed a hapless Breakers outfit. The Breakers boys were outclassed and outgunned by a powerful Sunnybank side with an imposing front row of Anae, Holmes and Fatialofa too much to handle and spoiling the Breakers heritage round! Gotta give it to the Dragons, led by classy display from Ben Lucas they were a class above a struggling Breakers who went down 67-10

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
The Dragons crushed a hapless Breakers outfit. The Breakers boys were outclassed and outgunned by a powerful Sunnybank side with an imposing front row of Anae, Holmes and Fatialofa too much to handle and spoiling the Breakers heritage round! Gotta give it to the Dragons, led by classy display from Ben Lucas they were a class above a struggling Breakers who went down 67-10

I decided to travel to Casuarina to see if we were a chance of redemption after missing the Geeps and Uni revivals. Big mistake. As you say Crusher, the scrum was turned inside out and it started at kick-off and went all game. Holmes was impressive as were Annae and the other prop. He's an absolute missile in defence. The boys were watching for him. Shatz worked hard as usual. I was impressed by three things in the backs. Firstly the winger(don't know his name) was extremely difficult to handle and secondly the fullback ran rings around us in attack. It is obvious the quality difference between S15 and Prems as Lucas was quite outstanding. His passing and defence made a real difference. He doesn't seem to get a chance at ten in S15.
None of our guys stood out (as you would expect with the scoreline) but at least our boys kept trying. All in all a performance that Tiny will want to forget

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I was a little disappointed to not see Quade Cooper playing rugby this past weekend. Granted his talents in that Souths outfit might of had a more lopsided result to Souths against my clubBUT............. IF this guy wants to play for the Wallabies again (at least under Deans reign) then he should be putting in the work down at Clubland.

I did notice upon checking my Instagram on Saturday that he was boasting about keeping in shape in the boxing ring.

I guess this rant belongs half in Club Rugby thread & the other half in REDS thread.. But the Reds have a must win match with the Warratahs the weekend after NEXT. It's do or die for the REDS & absolutely no player should be held out of club footy when the stakes involve elimination & the need to have sufficient match fitness,

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was a little disappointed to not see Quade Cooper playing rugby this past weekend. Granted his talents in that Souths outfit might of had a more lopsided result to Souths against my clubBUT..... IF this guy wants to play for the Wallabies again (at least under Deans reign) then he should be putting in the work down at Clubland.

I did notice upon checking my Instagram on Saturday that he was boasting about keeping in shape in the boxing ring.

I guess this rant belongs half in Club Rugby thread & the other half in REDS thread.. But the Reds have a must win match with the Warratahs the weekend after NEXT. It's do or die for the REDS & absolutely no player should be held out of club footy when the stakes involve elimination & the need to have sufficient match fitness,
Quade and CFS were both keen to play with Beau Robinsonn at the magpies but the Reds iintervened and held them out for reasons unknown. We of course would love to see him play at the nest whever he can !!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Quade and CFS were both keen to play with Beau Robinsonn at the magpies but the Reds iintervened and held them out for reasons unknown. We of course would love to see him play at the nest whever he can !!
Geez mate Southern X was having a dig at Quade and you stuffed it up with facts! What do you think you're doing!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.