• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
What's his credentials Reg?

Norths are a club that had laid so much ground work in recent season's yet it all seemed to come undone a bit in 2013 which is unfortunate.

Tony Darcy played reserve grade rugby league for Penrith.
Do you need more credentials than that?

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
A few years back Townville were trying to enter Prem Grade. They potentially could come in for SC. Iv also said many times I think Ipswich should be added and supported initially by QRU.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tony Darcy was considered to be a future great in the Rugby Union sphere, before moving to League. He played for the Filth, into the Reds, then Wallabies, before turning to League. He is a good coach, and he should really improve and take advantage of the strong Papua New Guinean connection at Norths.

What was the go with the Canberra Vikings? I can't seem to recall, they won a few in a row back in the early 2000s.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Apparently the GF is going to be in late July next year. Makes it sound like there will be some sort of competition on after that. It will be interesting to see if all rugby is over at the same time of if they split Premier away from the rest of the grades.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I saw a tweet from Butler that the sunny coast team is not playing next year. Can anyone confirm?

The CM also had an article today about the SC QCup team is financially struggling.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sad to see the Stingray's dropping out of Premier. Hopefully they can sort themselves out and build rugby on the coast. I think that the team created a lot of issues for the local comp so hopefully they can focus on producing a better product at that level.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Apparently the GF is going to be in late July next year. Makes it sound like there will be some sort of competition on after that. It will be interesting to see if all rugby is over at the same time of if they split Premier away from the rest of the grades.

I know it has its own thread, but because all the posts are about Shute Shield teams I thought it'd be better to discuss here.

Taken from a post "Daily Telegraph reports that there will be 4 Sydney, 3 Brisbane, 1 Canberra, 1 Melbourne and 1 Perth team. Will be a mix of established teams and aligned University teams. Established clubs will have access to non-competing clubs".

So obviously University will be included if this goes ahead, and fair enough as well, but I don't really know how the rest would work. Does that also mean Gold Coast would be included, seeing as they are affiliated with Bond Uni?

I just don't like the thought of seeing Easts/Souths players turning out for Sunnybank in the National comp.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

S

saulih

That's what I've been told but it was second hand news and this time of year I get told a lot of stuff that doesn't come true by the start of round 1 the following season.

Re: Hirsimaki
He is pre-season training at Sunnybank this month. Have not been in touch with him for a month or two, but FB posts confirm.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I just don't like the thought of seeing Easts/Souths players turning out for Sunnybank in the National comp.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I think it could work but there would have to be a no poaching policy otherwise it will kill other clubs.

We need this to enhance the Brisbane comp not devalue it.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it could work but there would have to be a no poaching policy otherwise it will kill other clubs.

We need this to enhance the Brisbane comp not devalue it.

That won't work mate.

You can't stop someone going to where the grass is greener. This stupid proposal is like the Sunnybanks, Randwicks & Red Heavies flying over the grassroots and spraying poison on the battler clubs.

Why can't it be South Brisbane Aces who play at Oldmac Oval? Or the Brisbane Bobcats who play at St Lucia.

If I was semi professional player looking to use 3rd tier as a stepping stone. I'd tell the coach where he can stick his stupid dragons jersey because I'm a bulldog for life!!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I doubt it will be semi professional to start. No point paying the players at this level. It's all about opportunity.

I think you'll find that most players will go where they get exposure. I can see the names of these teams changing as things progress but it needs to start somewhere.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I doubt it will be semi professional to start. No point paying the players at this level. It's all about opportunity.

I think you'll find that most players will go where they get exposure. I can see the names of these teams changing as things progress but it needs to start somewhere.

I am on board if the team that plays at Oldmac Oval is coloured jerseys Gold, Blue, Red, Purple and Pink & their mascot isn't some mythical fire breathing creature.

Seperation between Club Rugby & 3rd tier is very important in this rugby fans eyes!!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I've got an idea and it's a very good one...Don't introduce this stupid Australian National Comp thing!!! I remember they tried it once, lasted ONE year, a massive success. I know this comes across as being cynical, but c'mon. The Queensland Comp is at its best, being extremely competitive. The Shute Shield is SO one sided towards cashed-up Sydney Uni, that no one can compete, so they think up a BS model like the one T-12 was referring to. Honestly, the depth in 3rd tier rugby is strong in Qld, so maybe they should concentrate in putting money into struggling clubs or just 3rd tier in general. Only a New South Welshman would think of something so ridiculous.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The issue with the ARC is that it was doomed from the start. It was a case of consensus decision making, and that doesn't work when initiating change.
Some of the issues with it included:
  • Paying players
  • Running it during a RWC
  • Introducing new Laws
I was thinking to myself the other day if Australian Soccer was like this before the introduction of the A-League. All the current clubs would have wanted things to stay the same, as they were happy with what they were doing, but things needed to change to make the game grow. They had a big advantage of having a Billionaire lead the reform though, where can we find one of them?
But I do agree with you @FilthRugby, the Premier Rugby comp isn't in the situation that the Shute Shield is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.