• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Premier_Leagues

I like the format the football has. Conference winners then a play-off tournment.

So the top top 3 teams from QLD, top 4 from Sydney, 1 Melbourne, 1 from ACT, and 1 from Perth at the end of their regular seasons just go into a play off tournment.

Seems simple enough

I kind of agree with Filth, the Premier comp is in a stronger position, why not aim to build it to where the QLD Cup in league is? I do know financially no club comes close to the leagues backing however.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am on board if the team that plays at Oldmac Oval is coloured jerseys Gold, Blue, Red, Purple and Pink & their mascot isn't some mythical fire breathing creature.

Seperation between Club Rugby & 3rd tier is very important in this rugby fans eyes!!!
A flying fire breathing Tiger. Playing equal games at Oldmac, Chipsy Wood and bottomley park.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently Ben McCormack is being seriously considered as top candidate to coach Brothers Prem Grade next year.

I think this would be a good move and will pay off in a similar way to when Shane Arnold moved from Prem Colts to Prem Grade at GPS. Ben had good year with a good bunch of colts at Brothers and built some good relationships with players who will no doubt be moving up the ranks in years to come and he still knows some of the older heads in the team from his playing days (which werent that long ago, I believe he is only 27) so its a good mix.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He also did a good job with Terrace this year.

Was emailed this today:

Please see note below from Brother Rugby Club – Brisbane:

Brothers Rugby Club one of the oldest clubs in Queensland is seeking expressions of interest for all Coaching & Management Positions. Positions are available in all 5 Senior Grade (including Premier Grade) and 3 Colts teams participating in the Brisbane Premier Competition. Remuneration may be subject to experience and qualifications.
Applicants should have;
  • Be Smart Rugby Compliant and have an ARU coaching Level I as minimum. Level II and Level III is desirable for Premier teams.
  • Ability to plan, design, implement and review a training program consistent with the clubs values and philosophy
  • Proven experience and success at an equivalent level
  • Demonstrated ability to manage players, staff and volunteers
  • Excellent rugby knowledge
This is a great opportunity to join one of the Premier Clubs in Brisbane.
Expressions of interest close Friday 11th October.
Please forward your enquires and coaching CV to admin@brothersrugby.com
For further information contact General Manager Matt Kaye on 0405 226640

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Rod Seib and Adam Wallace-Harrison will be in charge at Sunnybank again next year. They have done some good things in the last 2 years.

There will be a change in the Colts program though.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not totally sure what is happening at GPS but I would say Shane Arnold is sticking around, Picone though has mentioned he might be done.

The club has advertised all coaching positions from Prems to Colts 2 but I can't see there being too many changes for 2014 apart from the Colts program having a rather big overhaul, they were expecting big things this year and none of the teams really delivered. Wouldn't be suprised if they are trying to get an experienced bloke in for Prem Colts instead of going with the 'ex player' scheme theyve had for the last couple of years.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Is Sam Greene heading back to Brothers is 2014? There's definitely some noise around the prospect...

Matty Thushker

Stan Wickham (3)
Is Sam Greene heading back to Brothers is 2014? There's definitely some noise around the prospect.
No Chance. When he left school Brothers told him he would be lucky to make their Premier Colts team. Then last year in round 1 when Brothers pumped Wests he was abused by everyone at the ground. When he started to find his form they asked him back, but I am pretty certain he is happy at Wests.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
The following is from Norths facebook site:

North Brisbane Rugby Union is please to announce our Premier Squad coaching staff for the 2014 season.

Paul Healy will head up the coaching team as premier grade coach for the 2014 season after taking over the role in the second half of the 2013 season. Paul has a very strong coaching background including Stade Francais in the French top 16, Swansea in Wales, Ordizia in Spain and a good understanding of the Brisbane Premier Competition from coaching at Both Brothers and University.

Matthew Quilty will assist Paul in the coaching team and is a great addition to the coaching staff after spending the past two seasons coaching the Norths colts. Matt has over 100 premier grade games under his belt as a player plus spending time with the Canberra Vikings....

Tim Grady Will be a technical adviser with the team and will focus towards scrummaging and the breakdown. Tim has many years of experience and most recently as part of the coaching team at Brothers.

Glenn Barron will also be part of the 2014 coaching team, Glenns will focus as a defensive coach and will assist Paul with backs patterns. Glenn has a massive history in both union and league with experience at NPC & NRL level.

We welcome all coaches and we will announce our other coaches for colts and senior teams shortly.

There seems to be a definite cultural shift at Norths from being reactive to proactive. Hopefully this will be a new era at the long suffering club with an injection of new blood not only in the coaching ranks but in the running of the club.

As a long suffering supporter it is incredibly important (only from a management point to view, not a supporters) to get rid of the deadwood at the club and bring fresh ideas in what is a rugby heartland on the north side of Brisbane. Hopefully the new team can keep the nucleus of the 2013 side together, especially that excitement machine Vuki, and build a competitive side in 2014. PS It was great to see Jessie Mogg down at the club last weekend supporting his old club on Fiji day in his shoulder sling and all!!!!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Honestly, Norths have potential as a club, I don't know if you went out to their game against Brothers at Crosby this year, rugby follower? They were the better side in the first-half, only to be let down by ill-disciplined and what seemed a weak forward pack towards the end, and Brothers put on about 30 points. If they manage to gain greater consistency in the second half of games, they could be dangerous.

Does anyone have another rugby news?

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
Not totally sure what is happening at GPS but I would say Shane Arnold is sticking around, Picone though has mentioned he might be done.

The club has advertised all coaching positions from Prems to Colts 2 but I can't see there being too many changes for 2014 apart from the Colts program having a rather big overhaul, they were expecting big things this year and none of the teams really delivered. Wouldn't be suprised if they are trying to get an experienced bloke in for Prem Colts instead of going with the 'ex player' scheme theyve had for the last couple of years.
I have heard that Shane Arnold is linked to a coaching role at Melb Rebels.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Honestly, Norths have potential as a club, I don't know if you went out to their game against Brothers at Crosby this year, rugby follower?

It was no surprise Norths played well at Crosby Road as they have caused the Filth some pain there over the years. I turned up early second half with Norths in front however in about 20 minutes they were about 30 points down. They had a big problem with fitness with second half fade outs during most games in 2013. This comes back to a culture problem where the team is not playing and training for each other. Hopefully the injection of new blood to the Rugby committee will create an improved culture throughout the club. Plenty of work is being done with pre colt academies through the 16/17's so hopefully there will be much stronger numbers in the Colts over the next few years.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I just occurred to me today, with the Sunny Coast leaving the comp, which club will Will Genia go to? He has been to plenty thus far, Norths, Jeeps, Wests and Sunny Coast. I imagine coming to Brothers is out of the question.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I just occurred to me today, with the Sunny Coast leaving the comp, which club will Will Genia go to? He has been to plenty thus far, Norths, Jeeps, Wests and Sunny Coast. I imagine coming to Brothers is out of the question.

I dont think Will has actually been associated with Wests senior rugby but I could be wrong. I know his brothers play there but he played his colts rugby at GPS before moving to Norths and then Sunny Coast.

Also technically he is aligned with Maleny so whether or not the QRU allow him to stay with them considering there isn't a Premier team up there will be interesting. You would think in terms of overall growth of the game they would allow him to still associate with Maleny/SC despite needing to be aligned with a Premier team.

Status
Not open for further replies.